Do you have a antenna problem?

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Most people know that I loved my g4 so this question isn't about bashing the phone at all but a serious question about it.

How many people here are having a issue with cell reception and WiFi reception?

Try this with yours and see if this happens..

Be in a area where you have full bars on the phone with the radio and WiFi first..

Now hold the phone with the screen facing you and at the bottom with one hand.. . now lay the top of your phone in your other hand in your palm..

Do you loose your signal? Does the signal drop off any bars?

I have tried this with 8 different g4's and they all have done this to a different degree... mine would loose the signal and have no service...

I thought it might have been AT&T but I have seen it on other carriers too.

I tried in vain to talk to someone at LG about this but never could get past their Philippines answering service about it.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Doing it the way you describe, I don't lose any bars. If i cover the top of the phone with both hands I lose 1 bar on cell and 1 on Wi-Fi but I don't lose service.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Every phone does it to a certain extent but if it's a major drop that's a problem and should be fixed/replaced.

Looking at the back of the phone under the cover it appears that the antennas are under that black tape. As such they might be easy to damage while the back is off.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
The problem is there is a issue with these phones that harkens back to the iPhone antenna gate time.

If you look beyond just this forum you can see that many people are having reception issue on different carriers too.

The big difference in this case is you don't need to have a death grip on the phone to see it.,and in some cases it is very slight.

When I took my g4 in to the corporate store and they saw that on mine it would drop 2 or 3 bars they exchanged it, but after doing this the one that they gave me would drop out completely. They were in a bit of a situation since they only give you 1 exchange if you are in your 14 day return period.. Their techs even tried it tethered to a Nexus 6 sitting 2" away and it would drop off.

Seeing this startled me and is why I changed brands.

I know some people won't mind this and continue using the phone.. It's not a big deal for them, but after dealing with a iPhone that did the same thing, it just wasn't something I wanted to go through again.

I hope LG fixes this.. Especially with the Pro 3 coming out this year..

Posted via the Android Central App

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Every phone does it to a certain extent but if it's a major drop that's a problem and should be fixed/replaced.

Looking at the back of the phone under the cover it appears that the antennas are under that black tape. As such they might be easy to damage while the back is off.

Sorry this is not true at all. I have had plenty of different phones and only 2 to date have ever done this. This one and a iPhone. There is no reason for this to happen unless there is a issue with the antenna.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have great reception, similar to my G3, Note 3, M7, etc. At the same time I do not cover the top and bottom of my phone while using it.
Just tried it with 4 bars at home, no change.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I experience the same phenomenon. Someone else brought this up shortly after release, maybe you, and I noticed it then. I place my finger across the top of the phone and notice an immediate one bar loss of WiFi and cell signal that return as soon as the finger is removed.

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I can get it to do it but I literally have to cover the phone with body parts, doesn't seem to be a real world issue for me.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, if I am losing signal because I am cupping the top and bottom of the phone.... Well, note to self, don't do that.

I can get it to do it but I literally have to cover the phone with body parts, doesn't seem to be a real world issue for me.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Sooo, how often do you talk on your phone with your finger across the top?

If it were just this simple... sigh...

Okay.. now turn the phone in portrait mode holding both ends of the phone... guess what....

See while I know many people don't have a issue with the phone doing it... the reality is that it shouldn't be doing this... and no matter what some people say this phone has a serious issue that LG needs to address.

As much as I loved my g4... I will not accept a serious issue like this one. I could deal with the software bugs, that is to be accepted on a new phone.. but hardware issues... no way.

One can overlook this if they want, that's a personal choice , but to do so without holding LG responsible is wrong.

FWIW, when I am sitting I use both hands to type holding the phone and typing with my other.., when I am streaming video it's in portrait and if the signal drops you know what happens to the stream.

Everyone uses their phones different and have different expectations and for myself... I don't want a phone that drops signal strength by how I hold it..

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If I hold it in landscape with both hands it'll drop one bar of wifi and that is with my router being upstairs with a ceiling in between. I'm not saying it isn't and issue for some however I am saying it isn't an issue for me. I came from a 3 year old Note 2 and the G4 radios blow that out of the water. I have horrible reception at my house and with my Note would be lucky to hit 1 Mbps with the G4 I can get 5 Mbps.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
If I hold it in landscape with both hands it'll drop one bar of wifi and that is with my router being upstairs with a ceiling in between. I'm not saying it isn't and issue for some however I am saying it isn't an issue for me. I came from a 3 year old Note 2 and the G4 radios blow that out of the water. I have horrible reception at my house and with my Note would be lucky to hit 1 Mbps with the G4 I can get 5 Mbps.

I absolutely agree with you about the Note I I it took me almost a year to get a rom and the correct radio in it to be excellent,but...it was fixed with software not like the g4. I had excellent reception for the first 6 days I had it, then it went bad.

someone else said that the antennas are in the back cover, I don't know for sure if this is true or not, but if they are then it may be just a bad installation of them that is the culprit here...

It would have been great to be able to discuss this further with LG but as I said I had zero luck after many tries with their customer service people.

If it is as simple as switching out the back cover with a different one that would be awesome, but since I no longer have one to try I can't attempt it.

If anyone who has the same issue that has a different back cover could try switching it to a different one and see if it makes a difference I would appreciate it very much..

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
No problem here. In fact my G4 seems to pull in a much better signal than my former G2. Compared to my Wife's G2, the signal is better in general.... but my Wife's G2 is a freak.... She can go three days on a single charge and still have 20% battery left.

That said, I followed what you said in your posts above and I seem to get BETTER signal.

David

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried cupping the top and bottom of my g4 and noticed about a 4dbm degradation. Speed wise it is pretty close.

uploadfromtaptalk1436384851637.jpguploadfromtaptalk1436384859716.jpg

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I .

someone else said that the antennas are in the back cover, I don't know for sure if this is true or not, but if they are then it may be just a bad installation of them that is the culprit here...

NFC antenna is in the back cover. All of the others are in the body of the phone.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Got my G4 day after release day from Verizon. Haven't noticed any problems with reception.

But did your "test". First put the phone in the palm of my hand. Nothing hand and I would not hold the phone like that in regular use.

Than held the phone several different ways that I would consider normal use and nothing happened.

So tried what the one guy said about putting his finger over the top. Nothing over the very top of the phone, did lose one bar of wifi when I put my finger over the very top across the back of the phone.

Now that also would not be a normal or regular place I would put my finger.

When holding it in landscape for streaming a video etc.. I put my finger tips on the edges of the phone, this is natural for me and does not effect the signal.

So is this a serious problem like you believe? To be no, I'm fact to be not a problem at all and nothing I ever noticed while using the phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is inside my house where I get 5 bars. Similar 4dbm difference. Speed was pretty close

uploadfromtaptalk1436445997104.jpguploadfromtaptalk1436446006432.jpg

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae