New G4 - there will be questions ;-)

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Just picked up a new G4 at Costco yesterday. Thanks to everyone who answered questions and posted their loves/gripes that helped me decide.
This is my first "smart" phone, so please excuse any dumb questions in the next few days as I get it set up ;-).

What do I think so far? Well, it's a lot to work on! I really don't know what I don't know, but plan on combing over some of the threads I subscribed to over the last few weeks to get up to speed. My first impression, is calls are clearer through my earpiece than on my old Samsung Convoy 3, so that's a good start! I turned on Advanced Calling to see if HD Voice makes a difference with all the non-HD Voice callers I call, but thought it only helped of the caller was also on HD Voice...we'll see. Either way, I don't get the muddy calls I got on my Samsung, so Life's Good ;-).

I subscribed to the thread on uninstalling bloat and junk apps that come pre-installed, and plan on doing a little Housecleaning" in the next couple days.

First question : So far I have no plans to return it, but if I I do, how would I wipe all my personal info from it? Not adding too much personal stuff until I know, since read enough stories of folks that had to return a defective phone.

Second : Is there a way to set the G4 to automatically use my WiFi by default when the phone sees it, rather than my data plan, and switch back when I'm out of WiFi range, or does it already do that? If so, does it make calls over WiFi if I'm within range, or over the Voice network? I do see the WiFi symbol active on the top of the screen when I'm home, so far. Verizon disables "Smart Settings", but heard it didn't work that great anyway.

Third : A few people have complained about heat, but even when charging while installing new updates, the phone got warm, but not what I would consider hot. Hope it stays this way!

Fourth : Typing fonts could be bigger. I have set the font size to Large, but typing still looks a little small.

Fifth : Is there any "shake down" I should do to test the phone while I'm within my 14 Day Return?

Last edited:

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Congrats! Turning on Advanced Calling will give you a better chance of being able to use your cellular data connection while on a call. Like for navigation apps while driving and on the phone, etc.

Questions:

1) Do a Factory Data Reset, under Settings, Backup & Reset. Based on what I read, some things are still left behind. To make this as secure as possible, people suggested Encrypting the phone (Settings, Security), before doing the Reset. This way, any data that may be left behind is also encrypted and just gibberish. I returned my first G4, but Encrypted it, then did a Factory Data Reset at the store, and felt comfortable with that.

2) If you've connected to a WiFi network, you should see a second signal-strength symbol, next to the cellular signal-strength symbol. The phone will automatcally transfer data over WiFi, rather than the cellular network, so it won't count towards your data allotment. Calls/texts, however, will still count towards your voice minutes and texts plan.

3) That's good. Some mornings, when charging overnight, my phone has been cool to the touch. This morning, it had finished charging to 100% overnight, on the LG charger/cable, but was still warm this morning, about 95F, according to GSam Battery Monitor. I have not figured out why this behavior changes. After unplugging it, it cooled down. Perhaps something was running frequently because it was plugged in, then stopped once it was on battery?

4) You could try a different keyboard. I didn't like the word preview behavior with the stock LG keyboard, so I'm trying the Google Keyboard, added via the Play Store. I preferred the way the LG keyboard let you do alternate characters, like punctuation symbols, on the main keyboard screen, however.

5) Just use it the way you intend to, I guess. See how it behaves. For me, monitoring battery life was a big consideration. But if you're in the US, you can get a free battery, battery charger, and leather back from LG, which is a nice fallback option, if your battery gets low during heavy-usage days.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks RedOctobyr...good info :) I plan on sending in to LG for the free extra battery/leather back. However, if I get a case, not sure how much of a PITA swapping batteries will be. BTW, will probably invest in a Quick Charger, but until then, my iPad Air 2 charger puts out 2.1A compared to the LG's 1.8...think it'll make much difference min charging speed? I assume it's safe, as they are both at 5.1v

As far as running the phone through its paces, I have nothing to compare it to, so no idea if performance is what it's supposed to be, other than obvious lagging. so far so good on that.

BTW, read a few folks with a problem with this, but Tap to turn on and Knock Code lock work flawlessly for me :).

Last edited:

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I doubt the amperage difference will make much improvement in charging speed. Much of the time, at the moment (summer in New England) mine won't charge at max speed anyhow, because the phone gets too warm. Which makes it reduce the charge current.

But if you see a difference, let us know! It's safe, regardless. Best app I've found for monitoring charging behavior is Battery Monitor Widget. It records charge current, battery temperature, etc, and you can look at a table or graph of the data to see behavior over time, with the screen off vs on, etc.

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site
For those that bought their phones from Costco what is the software version in the settings? Just confirming what the new phones are being released with.

Here is mine bought a few weeks ago from BB.

77900874c5e1fa857649199907a2a1df.jpg

..Sent from an impeccable LG G4 on Verizon..

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Mine is VS98611A. Did a software update straight away after activation
Aw okay. So I'm assuming you are not planning to root or bootloader unlock if it ever hits our variants.

Honestly I'm happy with the speed and responsiveness of the phone. I just can't get used to all the ads and I know once we have root / bootloader / recovery it will just make it the perfect device to date.

chamomiami

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Don't buy a phone thinking you are going to return it, but buy the phone thinking that you are going to get the most out of it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Don't buy a phone thinking you are going to return it, but buy the phone thinking that you are going to get the most out of it.

Absolutely, chamomiami! Because this is my first Smart phone, I haven't a clue what will work for me, and what's a deal breaker I can't live with. On my last phone (Sansung Convoy 3) it was the muddy voice quality that made most of my calls a struggle for me to understand. I would have returned it, but flip phones are a such a small part of the new phone releases, I figured another flip phone wouldn't be any better.The G4 is great so far:D

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Aw okay. So I'm assuming you are not planning to root or bootloader unlock if it ever hits our variants.

Honestly I'm happy with the speed and responsiveness of the phone. I just can't get used to all the ads and I know once we have root / bootloader / recovery it will just make it the perfect device to date.

I'm guessing a "root or bootloader" is hacking all the carrier tweaks? Probably not, but what about my software version makes you say that?

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
First minor glitches...any trick to Bluetooth pairing? I keep getting a Wrong PIN or Passkey error message when trying to pair with my fairly new Dell Latitude laptop.

Is there a way to have the screen rotate a full 180'? I don't know why manufacturers put the headphone jack on the bottom. My iPod Classic has it on the top, and has always made sense...my Touch has it on the bottom, and it's always in the wrong place :-\.

I'm guessing not, but any way to increase the itsy bitsy size of the notification icons at the top of the screen (battery, signal strength, etc). I can barely read them without my glasses.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Nope cannot rotate 180. With root you would be able to (most likely). I'm a huge proponent for the headphone jack at the bottom. I put my phone upside down in my pocket so when I take it out it is right side up. Putting it that way the jack is perfect on the bottom.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Nope cannot rotate 180. With root you would be able to (most likely). I'm a huge proponent for the headphone jack at the bottom. I put my phone upside down in my pocket so when I take it out it is right side up. Putting it that way the jack is perfect on the bottom.

I read somewhere how the headphone jack is the last barrier to really thin phones, and that it's just a matter of time before they're eliminated.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

If the jack were at the top, why wouldn't you just put in your pocket rightside up? When we travel, we use our iPod classic, set in a cupholder of the car's center console. Jack at the bottom isn't ideal. Plugged into my stereo, it's just less of a hassle to have it come out the top when picking music. When we use the iPod Tough with the jack at the bottom, it always seems to be in a clumsy location for cord management. I haven't figured out the advantage of having it at the bottom, but then my wife always says I'm "different". ;-).

Last edited:

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I read somewhere how the headphone jack is the last barrier to really thin phones, and that it's just a matter of time before they're eliminated.

Hope not, although I guess they could make a micro USB-headphone jack adapter to solve connectivity issues with older analog stereos.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Is it normal that the Micro USB charging plug is super stiff, and will loosen up with use? Afraid I'm going to break something plugging/unplugging it.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Hope not, although I guess they could make a micro USB-headphone jack adapter to solve connectivity issues with older analog stereos.

I think that was the alternative suggested in the article; sorry I can't remember where it was... it was an article I read when the G4 was first announced, how LG had eliminated side- and bottom- buttons to make the phone nearly bezel-less, and how eliminating the side buttons allowed them to make a thinner phone, with the last big challenge being the thickness required for the headphone jack.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Is it normal that the Micro USB charging plug is super stiff, and will loosen up with use? Afraid I'm going to break something plugging/unplugging it.

It does seem very stiff, but it sure stays in their nicely. I find that older cables I have lying around really feel loose in this phone and sometimes come unattached.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I think that was the alternative suggested in the article; sorry I can't remember where it was... it was an article I read when the G4 was first announced, how LG had eliminated side- and bottom- buttons to make the phone nearly bezel-less, and how eliminating the side buttons allowed them to make a thinner phone, with the last big challenge being the thickness required for the headphone jack.

So far, I'm liking the back buttons. If I ever had to readjust my grip on my old phone, I would always seem to push a side button by accident.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Any way to bump the size of the tiny top screen icons,like battery, 4G strength, etc,? Verizon said no

Last edited: