Vertical split screen issue on LG G4

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I also have a lg g4 and the problem is same as you discribed. And it is about one month old
Have you noticed if it is linked to camera use, especially the zoom feature? Here is a post I made in another thread:

As I mentioned before, I had experienced the vertical screen split and static box issue a week or so ago but the phone has been fine since. Well, last night, I was trying to get some photos of my kid on the field at his high school football game and I discovered that the issues are related to the camera, particularly when I use the zoom feature! It seems like I get the static box on 1/4 to 1/2 of the screen just after a zoomed pic is snapped. It will last up to 3-5 seconds but not long enough to grab a screen shot. After that, the phone is laggy and the notification pane will be split and garbled when I pull it down. This may last up to 20 or 30 seconds and then everything seems to smooth out! The photos I took were also horrible! Color was washed and they were all blurry. I am not a happy camper as the camera is the main reason I chose the LGG4! I am almost 6 weeks into ownership so I can't even trade it in. Now the buyers remorse sets in...maybe I should have stuck with Samsung? Just not sure I can love this phone for 2 years!

My Build Date is: 7/2015

rdoebel08

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I also have a lg g4 and the problem is same as you discribed. And it is about one month old
Where did you purchase the device at? I know for Sprint, in the recent few days they have made it a "known-issue" in the internal Service&Repair tool we use. So even if you do not have insurance, they will replace the device for free if that split screen issue happens. As far as I know it's not a screen issue, it's an actual motherboard issue.

Have you noticed if it is linked to camera use, especially the zoom feature?
I have seen the issue occur at various points of use on the device. I don't believe it's camera related, though I have seen an influx of people coming in and their cameras have stopped working; it brings up a "sorry, the camera has closed" error. Replacing the camera, hard resetting the device, etc does not fix the issue.

Ryan

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, my G4 was solid for almost 2 weeks but last night it started doing the vertical split thing again! I could literately scroll one half of my screen while the other half stayed static. Then the multicolored snow would pop up on the static half of the screen for a second or two...too fast for a screen shot. I restarted the phone and it seemed to lag a bit afterwards but cleared up and is working OK again. WTF, LOL? I haven't loaded any new apps or did anything different, it just seems to take a fit every now and then!

I have TEP insurance but I don't really want a refurb device! What the heck should I do? I am waiting for the next update to see if it helps but I think this is a hardware issue.

rdoebel08

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I have TEP insurance but I don't really want a refurb device! What the heck should I do? I am waiting for the next update to see if it helps but I think this is a hardware issue.
Did you just get the device? If it is within 14 days Sprint will exchange it free of cost out of stock. If it has been 14 days, you'd have to go into the service & repair center to get it replaced. Right now a lot of the G4's that are getting ordered for replacement have been brand new so you have a pretty decent chance of getting a new one.

Also, most of the newer device aren't necessarily a refurb phone when they come in. A lot of them are CPO, customer pre-owned, in which the customer returned it because they wanted a different device. Sprint can't resell that phone, so they put it in the system to be used as a replacement device.

Either way, I hope you get your issue resolved.

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you just get the device? If it is within 14 days Sprint will exchange it free of cost out of stock. If it has been 14 days, you'd have to go into the service & repair center to get it replaced. Right now a lot of the G4's that are getting ordered for replacement have been brand new so you have a pretty decent chance of getting a new one.

Also, most of the newer device aren't necessarily a refurb phone when they come in. A lot of them are CPO, customer pre-owned, in which the customer returned it because they wanted a different device. Sprint can't resell that phone, so they put it in the system to be used as a replacement device.

Either way, I hope you get your issue resolved.
I got my G4 on Aug 1st so it is about 1.5 months old. I went to Sprint yesterday and they said it is now a known issue with Sprint/LG so you don't need the TEP to get a replacement. They also said that this is happening to a lot of their customers and so far all replacements have been new devices. The only bad thing is that they won't give you one off the shelf, it has to be ordered...Mine will be here on Wednesday so we will see!

My phone was really acting up last night! It is definitely getting worse!

JM22508

May 13, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me last week on a three month old phone. I took it into a Sprint store and they replaced it on the spot. I have TEP, but the first words out of the guys mouth were, "let me see if we have a replacement in the back," without looking up my account or any mention of insurance.

Posted via the Android Central App

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
This sounds like a clear hardware issue. If you were out of warranty I'd look at repeating the screen connector on the main board.

rdoebel08

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I got my G4 on Aug 1st so it is about 1.5 months old. I went to Sprint yesterday and they said it is now a known issue with Sprint/LG so you don't need the TEP to get a replacement. They also said that this is happening to a lot of their customers and so far all replacements have been new devices. The only bad thing is that they won't give you one off the shelf, it has to be ordered...Mine will be here on Wednesday so we will see! My phone was really acting up last night! It is definitely getting worse!
Good to hear they are replacing it for you. And yea, we don't have a huge overhead like AT&T and Verizon do, so we have to order the device and have it shipped in. Normally for me if I order them on a weekend, they show up on Tuesday-Thursday usually Wednesday every time. Glad to hear you're getting a new one!

This happened to me last week on a three month old phone. I took it into a Sprint store and they replaced it on the spot. I have TEP, but the first words out of the guys mouth were, "let me see if we have a replacement in the back," without looking up my account or any mention of insurance.
Interesting. Maybe they were just trying to make you feel at home or more taken care of. Because Sprint will never have replacement phones in the back in stock. Either way, as of now they will replace the device for the split screen issue whether or not you have insurance. Win!

This sounds like a clear hardware issue. If you were out of warranty I'd look at repeating the screen connector on the main board.
It's the mainboard that's causing it. I've swapped a few with new screens and they still act up.

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
1 more day until my replacement is supposed to be in! It can't be soon enough! My phone is getting worse by the day...every time I use it now, it is split screen half screen scrolling and static boxes! It really gets worse while the cpu is running like when downloading an app or opening a browser page. If you have had signs of the split screen issue, it is probably going to get worse! Mine used to only happen for a few seconds once a week or so...no up to every time I use the phone! I hope the replacement ends this nonsense!

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I got my replacement all set up and working good! Hopefully no more split screen issues!

The Sprint store was less than stellar in helping set it up! The manager didn't even know about the LG backup and restore feature! He argued that it was impossible to bring over all your apps to a new phone! I did it when I got home and it worked perfect! I have a few app issues to work out but mostly, you just need to log in to the apps for them to work as normal. Much easier than downloading everything again! My stock home screens and lock screens restored perfectly as well!

If your phone has the split screen issues, it is a know issue and does not require TEP to get it replaced. Just do it...it's only going to get worse!

rdoebel08

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I got my replacement all set up and working good! Hopefully no more split screen issues!

The Sprint store was less than stellar in helping set it up! The manager didn't even know about the LG backup and restore feature! He argued that it was impossible to bring over all your apps to a new phone! I did it when I got home and it worked perfect! I have a few app issues to work out but mostly, you just need to log in to the apps for them to work as normal. Much easier than downloading everything again! My stock home screens and lock screens restored perfectly as well!

If your phone has the split screen issues, it is a know issue and does not require TEP to get it replaced. Just do it...it's only going to get worse!

I'm glad you got it replaced and all is well. I honestly did not know how well of a job the LG backup tool did until I used it a couple months ago. It works best when the same gmail is logged into the new phone when you do the restore. Otherwise you're right, it's just signing into the apps.

I hope the phone stays working this time! I haven't had a second person come back yet with the issue on their new device, fingers cross and knocking on wood lol.

Ryan

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I used the same Gmail and it was pretty smooth. I am having some issues with Zedge and my imported ringtones but nothing major.

I was thinking ahead and made a backup just before I went into the store...saved it on my SD card and just restored it when I got home! The Store manager didn't want to hear about it, LOL! He was telling me that there are tons of people coming in with this issue and he heard that LG is revamping the older software/UI to work better with the new hardware...true or not, I am not sure! He thinks a big update will be coming soon. He also said that my new LGG4 is a 2nd Gen that should be better than the old 2st gen that I had. Again, true or untrue, I don't know!

kmyerslp

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have had the split screen on my Sprint LG G4 getting worse. I have had it happen while its warm, while its had a lot of down time and cool and upon startup. I took it to a Sprint store where they only verified my screen wasn't cracked and ordered a new one for me which will be here within 3-5 business days free of charge. If people are looking for batch numbers/manufacture dates I can confirm mine and my girlfriends were both 07/2015 and only mine has the issue.

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been experiencing this same issue anytime I use the camera. After a few shots it starts and sometimes shuts down the entire device.
Yep, that is what mine did! It will soon start showing up more frequent...seems like mainly when the CPU is working hard like downloading from the Play Store or multitasking. It is going to get worse...visit your Sprint Store and have them order up a replacement for you. It will take a few days to come in. It's a known issues now so you shouldn't need insurance or anything.

Google User55

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I am on my 2nd LG G4. Mine is doing the same thing, it doesn't matter what I am doing either. Screen splits in half right down the middle. Sometimes it goes black, and other times,, half of the screen SPINS......and spins...for ever.. I set it down,, its sitting there spinning. Doesn't matter what I do,, or don't do. I turn it off, same thing happens. PAY TOO much money to have these glitches!

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I am on my 2nd LG G4. Mine is doing the same thing, it doesn't matter what I am doing either. Screen splits in half right down the middle. Sometimes it goes black, and other times,, half of the screen SPINS......and spins...for ever.. I set it down,, its sitting there spinning. Doesn't matter what I do,, or don't do. I turn it off, same thing happens. PAY TOO much money to have these glitches!
Did your first G4 have the same issues?

kondas512

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I got my G4 in July & it started doing that vertical split screen thing a couple weeks ago. Wasn't sure what the heck was going on. Sounds like i just need to have it replaced.