Unlocked LG G4 (H815 International Version) vs One Purchased Here In The USA

BoogerBoo2

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Hello All,
I have a couple questions I hope someone can answer for me,

First off we have decided to go with the LG-G4 after much research, I can purchase a Factory Unlocked H815 with Brown Leather back for $534.00 with no warranty (Which My Wife Is Leary About).

The other option I have is to purchase it at my Military Exchange for AT&T (Locked) for $629.99 -$100.00 rebate, I plan paying for it in full so I will not be tied to AT&T,

So here's my questions, If I purchase it from the Base Exchange I will have a full warranty, plus I will be able to snag the Free leather cover and Battery +Charger from LG, which you cannot do if you purchase the Unlocked/International version.

My other question is I plan on using the Go Phone or T-Mobile plans and (SIMS Card Kits) that you can purchase directly from them or at Walmart, also can anyone tell me what the difference would be between the Factory Unlock version vs the one from AT&T if I get it unlocked?. and if I purchased the G4 AT&T version and I pay full price will they unlock the phone for me?, if not can anyone recommend a link or name of a place that will provide me with the Unlock Code.

Nghia Le

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Att phone:
*Some features might be disabled
*slower update
*carrier bloat ware
H815:
*faster update
*all the features that LG offers in the G4
Also warranty and goodies that you mentioned.

I have the h815, I can't deal with carrier crap

Also try to get the one from T-Mobile if you want to use their service in order to get Wi-Fi calling and such.

Posted via the H815 LG G4

robef

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I use the H815 on AT&T and I love it. The only feature that I don't have that the US version has by default is visual voicemail. But on top of that there are features that the AT&T version does not have such as Smart Settings, multiple user profiles, fm radio, drag-down with screen off to see time and notifications, FM radio, LG Smartworld to download new fonts, themes, and apps that aren't available on play, among others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Plus not having the at&t bloatware is great.

The extra battery and charger are great, but you can always buy those on ebay for about $40, or do what I did and buy a US version, claim the offer, return it, and then buy the H815 :)

AT&T will provide you the unlock code free-of-charge if you purchase the device off-contract. (link below)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Fwww.att.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F&token=zoBVLirv

Good luck with your choice.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Only the UK region of the H815 has unlockable bootloader. Other regions of the H815 - Asia, Middle East, maybe others, the bl is locked (at least for now).
Even if the phone can be rooted without bl unlock, it's always best to have an unlockable bl.

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Only the UK version of the H815 has unlockable bootloader. Other versions of the H815 - Asia, Middle East, maybe others, the bl is locked (at least for now).
Even if the phone can be rooted without bl unlock, it's always best to have an unlockable bl.

Aren't all H815s the same? I could be mistaken, but when I checked LG's page, they said the tool works for the H815 EU open market.

On my box, it says the phone is destined for Romania. :/ (Model number: LG-H815)

Does that count for a bootloader unlock?

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Aren't all H815s the same? I could be mistaken, but when I checked LG's page, they said the tool works for the H815 EU open market.

On my box, it says the phone is destined for Romania. :/ (Model number: LG-H815)

Does that count for a bootloader unlock?

Most definitely not the same. I updated my post - there are different regions of the H815. If you need to unlock the boot loader get the UK region.

I had and H815 UK version,/region really loved it but for better or for worse I have the T-Mobile version now.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Most definitely not the same. I updated my post - there are different regions of the H815. If you need to unlock the boot loader get the UK region.

I had and H815 UK version,/region really loved it but for better or for worse I have the T-Mobile version now.

Well, I'm not planning to unlock my G4's bootloader soon, but it's good to know.

BoogerBoo2

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I just want to clarify something, under H815 you state that the Unlocked International version will have the LG warranty, But the seller on Amazon who I'm thinking about making my purchase from clearly states that the International version sold in the United States will have No Warranty,

I also called LG today and they told me that if I purchase the Unlocked phone on Amazon I will not be eligible for the Free Battery and Cover offer.

If you or anyone else can tell me where I can purchase the Unlocked International Version that will have the full factory warranty I would be very grateful.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I use the H815 on AT&T and I love it. The only feature that I don't have that the US version has by default is visual voicemail. But on top of that there are features that the AT&T version does not have such as Smart Settings, multiple user profiles, fm radio, drag-down with screen off to see time and notifications, FM radio, LG Smartworld to download new fonts, themes, and apps that aren't available on play, among others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Plus not having the at&t bloatware is great.

Good luck with your choice.

Well, most of that is right, but AT&T versions DO have LG Smartworld (I just used it a moment ago, came pre-installed), and we also do have Smart Settings (they rarely actually work, however).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just want to clarify something, under H815 you state that the Unlocked International version will have the LG warranty, But the seller on Amazon who I'm thinking about making my purchase from clearly states that the International version sold in the United States will have No Warranty,

I also called LG today and they told me that if I purchase the Unlocked phone on Amazon I will not be eligible for the Free Battery and Cover offer.

If you or anyone else can tell me where I can purchase the Unlocked International Version that will have the full factory warranty I would be very grateful.
My understanding is that you would have to ship it back to the country where the phone came from - i. E. UK h815 has to be shipped back to the UK. You then need a UK address for lg UK to send it back to you.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is that you would have to ship it back to the country where the phone came from - i. E. UK h815 has to be shipped back to the UK. You then need a UK address for lg UK to send it back to you.

I'm in the US. When I had my UK H815 I called LG support, and gave them my IMEI to verify warranty and was told that it had 15 month US warranty from date of manufacture.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the US. When I had my UK H815 I called LG support, and gave them my IMEI to verify warranty and was told that it had 15 month US warranty from date of manufacture.
If it was a usa h815 then sure. But if it was a gray market h815 (not officially designed to be sold in the usa) then you could have problems.

Nghia Le

May 15, 2013
Visit site
For now I think you better off with a tmobile g4, they have it on sale for 480 plus there's a coupon code that brings down another $48

Posted via the H815 LG G4

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I searched before posting so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate. I'm interested in the H815 or the H815T. I'm on AT&T. I'm looking for LTE compatibility for the states, I'm in Sacramento area (95821) and should get LTE. But which of the two models should I invest in?

robef

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I searched before posting so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate. I'm interested in the H815 or the H815T. I'm on AT&T. I'm looking for LTE compatibility for the states, I'm in Sacramento area (95821) and should get LTE. But which of the two models should I invest in?

Get the H815.