I was messing with my buddies g4 on Verizon and noticed there was no smart settings in his settings... This just a Verizon thing?

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-18-2015 10:06 AM
    I'm not sure if other carriers also eliminated them, but this is a Verizon thing, yes.
    07-18-2015 10:19 AM
    Are carriers allowed to disable features of the phone like this? Why would carriers do this..

07-18-2015 12:57 PM
    They certainly think they're allowed to disable features, anyways. Verizon also disables the built-in FM radio receiver, for instance, forcing you to use streaming radio services, and therefore your data plan, if you want to listen to the radio.
    07-18-2015 03:21 PM
    Yea I believe when I first got the phone it had it, but then after an update or so I noticed they were gone. I looked all over the settings and they were no longer there. I thought it was just something LG did but it appears that it was the carriers themselves? It's a little bit of a bother but I've gotten used to it now.
    07-18-2015 05:12 PM
    I recently read an article about the differences between the various G4's (Actually think it was here on Android Central). Apparently Verizon decided to leave smart settings out due to "cost". It seems that LG charges carriers for these add-ons and felt the cost was not justified. I call equine fecal material on that... (Verizons reason for leaving it out, not the article.)

David
    07-19-2015 08:50 AM
    Figure out why it's in Verizon's be$t intere$t to remove a feature, and there's your answer to why.
    TNCattleDog likes this.
    07-19-2015 09:10 AM
    I recently read an article about the differences between the various G4's (Actually think it was here on Android Central). Apparently Verizon decided to leave smart settings out due to "cost". It seems that LG charges carriers for these add-ons and felt the cost was not justified. I call equine fecal material on that... (Verizons reason for leaving it out, not the article.)

David
    So who does lg charge for these "costs" when a customer buys an unlocked g4?

07-19-2015 12:26 PM
    So who does lg charge for these "costs" when a customer buys an unlocked g4?

I agree with CattleDog. That's a BS reason. I don't believe for a second OEMs are charging carriers ala carte for functionality on mass produced phones.
    07-19-2015 04:23 PM
    I agree with CattleDog. That's a BS reason. I don't believe for a second OEMs are charging carriers ala carte for functionality on mass produced phones.
    I don't believe it either. Sounds like whoever wrote that article may have a grudge and wants to make them look bad.

07-20-2015 02:18 PM