Lag is getting ridiculous

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm using an AT&T G4. I picked it up on launch. For the most part its great, but the lag has become ridiculous. It's reached the point where battery popping is at least a daily occurrence.
I bet the 5.0 memory leak is partly to blame. The 20 apps that AT&T infected my phone with probably doesn't help either.

This is an amazing phone, but I need to fix this. Any suggestions until a root/rom solution comes about?

Posted via the Android Central App

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your lag and that would drive me crazy too! I would put all animations on ZERO to help. Also, make sure its not a rogue app that might be sucking/hogging up processing power. If all fails......factory reset it!

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to guess that it's an app that is causing your issues. My G4 has been butter smooth since I got it (a month). I have rebooted it a couple times out of habit, but I haven't needed to.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm using an AT&T G4. I picked it up on launch. For the most part its great, but the lag has become ridiculous. It's reached the point where battery popping is at least a daily occurrence.
I bet the 5.0 memory leak is partly to blame. The 20 apps that AT&T infected my phone with probably doesn't help either.

This is an amazing phone, but I need to fix this. Any suggestions until a root/rom solution comes about?

I'm in the same boat with no fix in sight. I've been pretty vocal about it on these forums in the past too. I've tried everything and nothing helps. After the last big update I thought it was fixed but after a few days all of the issues returned; general lag, keyboard lag and overheating. Sometimes it gets so bad I stop whatever it is I'm trying to do and put the phone back in my pocket. I've just accepted the fact that there are a certain bunch of these G4 duds out there and hopefully a fix comes soon. If not, well the Moto X and Nexus devices are only a few months away.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I have an AT&T G4 too but I have no lag at all and battery last about 30 to 40 hours with about 2 or 3 hours of screen time. The first thing I do is to disable all apps that starts with AT&T. Unlike other carriers, AT&T lets you disable their bloatware. It is under Settings -> General -> Apps -> ALL.

I also took out the weather widget, installed Accuweather app instead. I removed the smart home page and install Lux app to auto control screen brightness. That's about it. I have everything turned on, Wifi, Locations settings, Bluetooth. Oh and I also don't used the built in Mail app. I use Gmail app instead. I have yet to reboot my phone other than forced by the software update.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
At&t here as well. I'm no n00b when it comes to Android either. I've had numerous phones (never any Samsung though :p) and rooted, unlocked, and ROM'd most of them. So I can assure you that most, if not all, surface level fixes have been attempted and don't work. This is the worst type of defective device to have too because at&t won't replace a device based on "lag".

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your lag and that would drive me crazy too! I would put all animations on ZERO to help. Also, make sure its not a rogue app that might be sucking/hogging up processing power. If all fails......factory reset it!

Ok, how exactly do I go about doing both of those?

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
At&t here as well. I'm no n00b when it comes to Android either. I've had numerous phones (never any Samsung though :p) and rooted, unlocked, and ROM'd most of them. So I can assure you that most, if not all, surface level fixes have been attempted and don't work. This is the worst type of defective device to have too because at&t won't replace a device based on "lag".

Well it is kind of hard for them to know if it is really a dud or user installed app problem. Except when it is an iPhone. My parents had to exchange their brand new iPhone 6 Plus's because it started freezing. The Apple store took a look and just gave them 2 new ones. I don't like iPhone but you have to give it to them for customer supports. Maybe if AT&T won't replace it, you could try calling LG warranty.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I run an AT&T variant but I don't have much lag. I remember when getting it in the beginning, the keyboard would lag, but I switched to Swiftkey and turned off all haptic feedback, and I was golden. Hmm :\

rodrigoeilert

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problems. Lagging, stuttering, freezing up, screen not registering touches, and the supposedly long lasting battery wouldn't last 2 hours. I searched on YouTube and online, and here is what I heard. LG changed the chipset on the G4, and supposedly this chipset and the version of Android are not playing nice together, causing memory leaks, and all the issues we're having. After doing some research, there isn't a fix for it yet, as fixes are released with updates from LG. There are workaround that solve these issues until the updates arrive. Here are the ones I did to fix mine:
* Search online or YouTube on how to get to developers mode. Once you're in developers mode, go in developer's tab and turn off all transitions and screen effects
* download an app called "battery guru". It's made by Qualcomm, same company which made the chipset in the phone. It will learn for 3 days everything you do, then it will tweak the phone for you. My battery tripled in time, it feels like I got a brand new battery.
* Go under battery usage in settings, it will tell you what apps use the most resources and power. If you're like all others LG G4 users, you'll notice screen and Android system being the two most battery and resource draining apps. Android system there's nothing we can do until LG fix it, but the screen we can help, by making sure the screen timeout is set for 30 seconds, and making sure of you're indoors, you can leave the brightness between 35 and 40
* Download an app to help you check on Android system. I have "clean master", and it tells me what apps are forcing themselves to open in the background and you can either fix the issues or uninstall said app.
* This phone has a great camera, but remember, great camera require a great amount of power to tweak. I go from 100 percent battery down to 60 percent in about 20 minutes by leaving the camera in manual mode and playing around with each options. At the same time, with camera in auomatic mode, I take many more pictures and it drains the battery less than in manual
* Use common sense: great phones provide lots of options for its users, sometimes too many. This phone has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, GPS, Android beam, smart share beam, miracast, LG bridge, knock screen sensors, quick circle case sensors, etc. These are all sensors working in background waiting to be used that's eating up your resources. Either turn them off completely if you're not using them, or if you do use them but not often, turn them on only when you're ready to use them. Why would NFC be on if you use it twice a week to pay for coffee with your Google wallet? Doesn't make any sense
* Go into GPS settings and change it to battery saver mode.
* if you follow all of these tips, you will notice your phone's battery lasting for a day and a half with heavy usage, and you'll notice the lagging and freezing up to be ALMOST gone, almost being the key word. Every now and then my phone still lags, but it isn't as bad as it was when I first got.
Hope you are able to solve your issues!

Last edited:

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
AT&T G4 here as well and i am suffering the same, I have to reset every other day, some times the lag is so bad I can click on an app the phone will freeze solid for a few seconds solid and then I can see the screen draw.

The lag has really been driving me,crazy, but only half as crazy as the constant missed taps, there is a serious problem it's the screen now,this phone.

I honestly wish I did not trade my S6 in for this phone, sure it's battery was trash but it didn't suffer the way this phone does.

As for G4, I have no issues making it through a day of the lab battery so that's good and acceptable, the screen is pretty awesome and call quality is great, but man does this phone suffer from lag.

Once a,better option comes out I will be moving on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Lag is the only reason I have an iPhone as my daily driver, because Verizon can't install their bloatware. I hate Android lag. I don't think this will ever be solved because the carriers get to add their bloatware to the devices. I can say that the International version of the LG G4 doesn't have any lag, but it also doesn't have any bloatware.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same problems. Lagging, stuttering, freezing up, screen not registering touches, and the supposedly long lasting battery wouldn't last 2 hours. I searched on YouTube and online, and here is what I heard. LG changed the chipset on the G4, and supposedly this chipset and the version of Android are not playing nice together, causing memory leaks, and all the issues we're having. After doing some research, there isn't a fix for it yet, as fixes are released with updates from LG. There are workaround that solve these issues until the updates arrive. Here are the ones I did to fix mine:
* Search online or YouTube on how to get to developers mode. Once you're in developers mode, go in developer's tab and turn off all transitions and screen effects
* download an app called "battery guru". It's made by Qualcomm, same company which made the chipset in the phone. It will learn for 3 days everything you do, then it will tweak the phone for you. My battery tripled in time, it feels like I got a brand new battery.
* Go under battery usage in settings, it will tell you what apps use the most resources and power. If you're like all others LG G4 users, you'll notice screen and Android system being the two most battery and resource draining apps. Android system there's nothing we can do until LG fix it, but the screen we can help, by making sure the screen timeout is set for 30 seconds, and making sure of you're indoors, you can leave the brightness between 35 and 40
* Download an app to help you check on Android system. I have "clean master", and it tells me what apps are forcing themselves to open in the background and you can either fix the issues or uninstall said app.
* This phone has a great camera, but remember, great camera require a great amount of power to tweak. I go from 100 percent battery down to 60 percent in about 20 minutes by leaving the camera in manual mode and playing around with each options. At the same time, with camera in auomatic mode, I take many more pictures and it drains the battery less than in manual
* Use common sense: great phones provide lots of options for its users, sometimes too many. This phone has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, GPS, Android beam, smart share beam, miracast, LG bridge, knock screen sensors, quick circle case sensors, etc. These are all sensors working in background waiting to be used that's eating up your resources. Either turn them off completely if you're not using them, or if you do use them but not often, turn them on only when you're ready to use them. Why would NFC be on if you use it twice a week to pay for coffee with your Google wallet? Doesn't make any sense
* Go into GPS settings and change it to battery saver mode.
* if you follow all of these tips, you will notice your phone's battery lasting for a day and a half with heavy usage, and you'll notice the lagging and freezing up to be ALMOST gone, almost being the key word. Every now and then my phone still lags, but it isn't as bad as it was when I first got.
Hope you are able to solve your issues!

Thanks, I will look into a few of those things. Personally, I find the battery phenomenonal. This is the first phone that I have never turned auto brightness off on. I was at a party from 1030 pm to around 230 am. I accidentally left the GPS on. Add auto brightness, maybe 30 - 60 minutes of surfing, taking about 90+ pictures and having them automatically uploaded to onedrive and I left with less than 25% of my full battery drained.

I never use the dual window, so I don't know how to turn it off. I will look it up when I get home

twin100

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
>First, you’ll need to enable access to the hidden “Developer options” menu on your Android phone. To do that, simply tap the “About phone” option in Settings. Then tap “Build number” seven times and you’re done. Now you can just back out to the main Settings menu and you’ll find Developer options somewhere near the bottom of the list.

==>Now that you’re done with that part, let the real fun begins. Tap the new Developer options menu you just enabled and scroll until you see the following three settings (note that they may be located within an “Advanced” subsection):

Window animation scale
Transition animation scale
Animator animation scale

==>Did you see them? By default, each of those three options is set to “1x” but tapping them and changing them to “.5x” will dramatically speed up your phone. This harmless tweak forces the device to speed up all transition animations, and the entire user experience is faster and smoother as a result.

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
you’ll need to enable access to the hidden “Developer options” menu on your Android phone. To do that, simply tap the “About phone” option in Settings. Then tap “Build number” seven times and you’re done. Now you can just back out to the main Settings menu and you’ll find Developer options somewhere near the bottom of the list.

==>Now that you’re done with that part, let the real fun begins. Tap the new Developer options menu you just enabled and scroll until you see the following three settings (note that they may be located within an “Advanced” subsection):

Window animation scale
Transition animation scale
Animator animation scale

==>Did you see them? By default, each of those three options is set to “1x” but tapping them and changing them to “.5x” will dramatically speed up your phone. This harmless tweak forces the device to speed up all transition animations, and the entire user experience is faster and smoother as a result

I did this and it has helped a lot.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
All great tips guys! Thanks :) I must say though, I have an international version and I have yet to get any lag :-\ ... I think carriers really fudge this stuff up!

I really liked the recommendations though! I'll look into battery guru :) Although it's 7:21 pm here in Spain, and I have been off the plug for more than 12 hours and I'm at 73% battery life. I can honestly say that this phone has SUPERB battery life. Much better than my Note 4 or Nexus 6!