LG G4 Help for a new user

• Thread starter Deleted member 827639
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 827639

Ive had a G4 for about 3 weeks now, and would greatly appreciate a little help as a few of the other forums seemed to not offer much advise.

1. When the phone is at rest and charging, the LED flashes/beeps on and off a red color. When it's fully charged the LED flashes Green. Aren;t these lights supposed to be solid? Could my unit be defective? Ive heard yes and no answers.

2. With auto dim set to off and screen brightness at 65%, almost everytime i unlock the phone it auto dims by itself. Ive never experienced this with any other phone except the G3 a year ago. it this normal?

3. On standby the battery does not deplete. Like ever. It was at 88%, and 3 hours later was at 88%. But 5 minutes of simply chrome browsing brought it down to 81%. 5 minutes.

im not rooted, and use only stock, AT&T software. I really like this phone, but want to make sure they aren't all like mine.

Thanks.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I've heard from others here that Chrome is a huge battery hog, and several have recommended either loading a different version of Chrome (dev, beta, or the XDA-developed "NoChrome" or whatever it was called). Personally, I still just use regular Chrome, as I haven't had a big issue with it yet. There was a thread on here titled "The Chromes" I believe; hopefully you can find that.

The battery takes a long time to deplete in standby; you really only have it deplete if you have things syncing to it or are getting lots of messages, etc. If I have emails coming in, a couple texts, and Fenix syncing tweets, it will deplete a few percentages during standby.
Also, if you have it searching for a signal, it will absolutely murder the battery.

Screen brightness is a little strange, I'll leave that one alone, but many have recommended using "Lux" (Play Store) to control it instead of LG's own implementation, as it seems to work better.

Notifications are finicky in my experience. I believe it is a solid red dot when charging, but will blink if I get a notification during charging; a solid green dot when charged all the way and still plugged in, but will blink if I have a notification during it. Not 100% sure on this, but it would explain why you're getting both answers. Personally, I seem to get phantom notifications very frequently. I might look into taking control of the LED myself with a third party app like LightFlow eventually to see if it improves.

D

Deleted member 827639

I've heard from others here that Chrome is a huge battery hog, and several have recommended either loading a different version of Chrome (dev, beta, or the XDA-developed "NoChrome" or whatever it was called). Personally, I still just use regular Chrome, as I haven't had a big issue with it yet. There was a thread on here titled "The Chromes" I believe; hopefully you can find that.

The battery takes a long time to deplete in standby; you really only have it deplete if you have things syncing to it or are getting lots of messages, etc. If I have emails coming in, a couple texts, and Fenix syncing tweets, it will deplete a few percentages during standby.
Also, if you have it searching for a signal, it will absolutely murder the battery.

Screen brightness is a little strange, I'll leave that one alone, but many have recommended using "Lux" (Play Store) to control it instead of LG's own implementation, as it seems to work better.

Notifications are finicky in my experience. I believe it is a solid red dot when charging, but will blink if I get a notification during charging; a solid green dot when charged all the way and still plugged in, but will blink if I have a notification during it. Not 100% sure on this, but it would explain why you're getting both answers. Personally, I seem to get phantom notifications very frequently. I might look into taking control of the LED myself with a third party app like LightFlow eventually to see if it improves.

I use an LED control app. I don't get phantom notifications, that part works fine. It's the charging. Every phone Ive ever owned when charging the light is a solid color, but when this phone is on the charger it's a steady blink every 1.5 seconds during charge, and a green blink when full.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I use an LED control app. I don't get phantom notifications, that part works fine. It's the charging. Every phone Ive ever owned when charging the light is a solid color, but when this phone is on the charger it's a steady blink every 1.5 seconds during charge, and a green blink when full.

I just looked over at mine charging right now. It was blinking a skyblue light every 5 seconds or so. I turned the screen on and saw I had received an e-mail. Deleted the e-mail, turned the screen back off, and a solid red light came on and stayed on while my screen was off and the phone was charging.

We're both using stock AT&T, but you're using an LED control app and I'm not. Which app is it you're using? Have you tried temporarily disabling it and seeing if your phone behaves like mine?

Xosder

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
That sounds like the charger is broken to me . I have had that issue in the past where the chargers connection was going and it would send power intermittently , I'd have to reposition it and it'd stay solid. The light should stay solid while charging (unless you are using the device in which case the light on this phone goes off).

D

Deleted member 827639

That sounds like the charger is broken to me . I have had that issue in the past where the chargers connection was going and it would send power intermittently , I'd have to reposition it and it'd stay solid. The light should stay solid while charging (unless you are using the device in which case the light on this phone goes off).

could using a non-LG charger be causing this? it charges every other android device just fine

Xosder

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
could using a non-LG charger be causing this? it charges every other android device just fine
Only thing I can think of it's a lower power charger (less amps or something), the one I use that sometimes does this the phone will warn me that the charger I am using is charging the device slower and to use the charger provided (not always but a warning normally pops up). I would try the charger that came with it or even a car charger and see if the light stays lit up. Hopefully it's the charger and not the phone but the light should stay lit up and not blink. Also if you have a lock screen on and double tap it should show it's charging I would think that if the charging is going on and off you'd see it come on and off on that screen.

D

Deleted member 827639

Only thing I can think of it's a lower power charger (less amps or something), the one I use that sometimes does this the phone will warn me that the charger I am using is charging the device slower and to use the charger provided (not always but a warning normally pops up). I would try the charger that came with it or even a car charger and see if the light stays lit up. Hopefully it's the charger and not the phone but the light should stay lit up and not blink. Also if you have a lock screen on and double tap it should show it's charging I would think that if the charging is going on and off you'd see it come on and off on that screen.

What's hilarious is on another website's forum I'm being told the LED "pulses" while it charges, Not solid, and doesn't "blink"

How can 3 people with the same phone have different experiences while charging?

Xosder

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
What's hilarious is on another website's forum I'm being told the LED "pulses" while it charges, Not solid, and doesn't "blink"

How can 3 people with the same phone have different experiences while charging?
I've never had a phone pulse while charging (I've had it blink due to bad chargers) . The only thing different this phone does then my last is still shows notification lights when charging and the light turns off when the screen is on.
If I plug this phone in on a regular charger it goes solid red while charging unless I get a notification or turn the screen on. Pretty sure that's how it goes on most phones and at least all the ones I've owned.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21