Trouble activating Advanced Calling on Verizon with 610B software

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I am having trouble activating Advanced Calling on my Verizon G4. Has anyone successfully enabled Advanced Calling on a Verizon unit still running the 610B software?

When I try to Activate it, it tells me to reboot. I do, then go back to Advanced Calling. But instead of letting me enable it (and actually use it), it still says I need to Activate it. I tap Activate again, then it says it's already enabled on my line, and to reboot. I reboot again, and it just keeps going through the same loop, telling me I need to Activate it.

This is my third G4 (hardware problems on the first two). On the first, Advanced Calling enabled easily. On the second, I had the same symptoms, unable to Activate it. Verizon's tech support somehow fixed it after a day or so, and got it enabled. But on this third one, they have been trying, with no success.

All 3 phones had the original VS98610B system software. The only factor I can think of is that the first G4, which enabled AC easily, was running 610B when 610B was the latest software. With the two difficult phones, they are still running 610B after 611A had been released (end of June). Maybe this is part of the problem? I don't want to update to 611A, to improve my chances of getting root access when it's released.

Verizon's latest conclusion is it's a problem with the phone's hardware, and to exchange it. But this just doesn't seem to make sense, to me. Everything else on the phone works fine. And I've now had 2 sequential phones with this same symptom, making it seem unlikely that a hardware exchange will fix it.

I want Advanced Calling to keep data access while on the phone in a 4G area. My Galaxy S3 could do both even on 3G, I'm just trying to avoid losing functionality.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The last time I activated it, it took 1 or 2 days before it actually became active. (This was for the Droid Turbo. I haven't activated it on the G4.) You have activated it on your account, right? You have to go add it to your Verizon account online, before you can activate it on your phone.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Thank you both.

Yes, it's on my account. We've removed it from my account and re-added it, multiple times.

I did a factory reset at tech support's suggestion, with no change. I even went to a Verizon store and they gave me a new SIM card, same result. Then we took my new SIM, and put it in two different phones (a Note 4, and a Galaxy S5), and were able to activate Advanced Calling on each of those. So my account is willing to enable Advanced Calling. Just not on my G4.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Thank you both.

Yes, it's on my account. We've removed it from my account and re-added it, multiple times.

I did a factory reset at tech support's suggestion, with no change. I even went to a Verizon store and they gave me a new SIM card, same result. Then we took my new SIM, and put it in two different phones (a Note 4, and a Galaxy S5), and were able to activate Advanced Calling on each of those. So my account is willing to enable Advanced Calling. Just not on my G4.

Huh. I haven't messed with it. I just assumed it wasn't on, but when I went in and looked, low and behold it is on. Well, I have a VZW G4 and HD Voice is enabled, so yours should work. I'm guessing you need to get them to fix/replace it.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Interesting, thank you.

What software version are you running, under Settings, About Phone, Software Info, then Software Version? 610B, or 611A?

I can exchange it if needed. But sheesh, if I go to unit #4, then I sure hope that fixes it :)

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I finally got this sorted out. In the hopes that it can help someone else, this is what I did:

- I installed the latest software, VS98611A. I also had tech support remove Advanced Calling from my line again, to let the phone "start fresh". Rebooted after the software update, and suddenly the phone was no longer asking me to Activate Advanced Calling. The phone now knew it was already active, and it let me enable/disable HD Voice, and Video Calling.
- Unfortunately, when I'd try to make a call on 4G, the phone would immediately give an error message, "Voice call temporarily unavailable because of network connection error. Try again later." It would then disable Advanced Calling again until I'd reboot. Before rebooting, I could make calls, just without Advanced Calling. I would not get the error message if I placed a call on 3G after rebooting. oThis was a head-scratcher.
- The next day, I decided to log into my account on the Verizon website and try removing Advanced Calling again. But when I looked, I realized Verizon didn't actually have Advanced Calling enabled for my line. The phone must not have "requested" to have it turned on for my line againn, after I installed the system update and checked the Advanced Calling status on the phone. So I added Advanced Calling to my line, via the website. Waited ~15 minutes, and rebooted, as instructed.

Suddenly, Advanced Calling actually worked! On 4G, I was able to be on a call and also load a website.

So installing the 611A software seemed to be a requirement. And the "Voice call temporarily unavailable" message seemed to be because Verizon didn't have it enabled again for my line in their system.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance