Will Note 3 user HATE going to G4?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Considering LG G4 over Note 4 primarily because of the LG's camera which I hear is awesome.

Is the camera really that much better than a Note 4?

I'll be coming from a Note 3. Will I hate not having a physical home button and dedicated back/menu below the screen?

What will be my biggest thing to get used to?

I'm not considering the Note 5 because I hear it won't have a removable battery.

Note: I've never really used the stylus.

Thanks for all comments and thoughts,
Mike

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Camera is better in the g4 over the note 4. Much better is relative and depends on your specific uses . but it is noticeable. You can customize the buttons to your liking. Some prefer physical and some prefer on screen buttons so hard to say whether or not you will like it. You can try it out in store before buying

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I came to the G4 from a Note 2, and I also was concerned about the buttons... but I got used to it very quickly, and now can't imagine going back.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
What you will like, as I've said many times before, and am surprised no-one has reported me for tiresomeness, is how easily LG allows you to customise the screen nav buttons to suit what you've been used to on the Samsung. This may seem a small thing but it makes all the difference when you come to use a new device. To me a Samsung, with its uncustomisable buttons, would be virtually unusable, for such a seemingly trivial reason.

Posted via the Android Central App

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I came to the G4 from a Note 2, and I also was concerned about the buttons... but I got used to it very quickly, and now can't imagine going back.

Same here. I just got a G4 coming from Note 2. Camera is great. Battery life so far is on par and the hardware buttons on the note not being on the G4 doesn't really matter. Its very easy setup on the G4 and great layout.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I had a Note 3 and most recently, a Note 4. I would say that the camera is a little better on the g4. If you don't use the S-pen then I think getting the G4 is the right choice. Both are great phones and there is no way for me to tell you what you will hate or not hate. I can tell you that I like them both for different reasons. As a daily phone the G4 wins. As an overall business tool the Note 4 wins because of that S-pen. That's me though. I also like the expandable storage and access to the battery so I don't know that I would be interested in the Note 5. I don't really care for the S6 either.

Sent from my LG G4

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I had a Note 3 and most recently, a Note 4. I would say that the camera is a little better on the g4. If you don't use the S-pen then I think getting the G4 is the right choice. Both are great phones and there is no way for me to tell you what you will hate or not hate. I can tell you that I like them both for different reasons. As a daily phone the G4 wins. As an overall business tool the Note 4 wins because of that S-pen. That's me though. I also like the expandable storage and access to the battery so I don't know that I would be interested in the Note 5. I don't really care for the S6 either.

Sent from my LG G4

Personally I was just over the lag and wanted a great camera. Also, what really made me purchase the g4 over the note 4/5 was the price and how I will be getting a free leather back and battery with a charging cradle. Win win in my book.

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The rear buttons are great. I was sceptical at first but now i realize its the perfect placement. No longer will i turn phone off or volume down as i pull it out my pocket

missouriexile

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I just moved from note three.
The only downside so far is the learning curve. (different doesn't mean bad)
The rear on and off button has been a 'challenge' to me but if one of the volume keys can be used as a camera shutter key I will learn to love it.
I'm still learning, 'how do I create a folder on the screen?'
Give it time.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Many reported that the touch screen was notably and annoyingly less sensitive, especially if you have a tempered glass screen protector.

from the Elegance

Oh. So far I don't have any of that. But then again, I don't use screen protectors.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Considering LG G4 over Note 4 primarily because of the LG's camera which I hear is awesome.

Is the camera really that much better than a Note 4?

I'll be coming from a Note 3. Will I hate not having a physical home button and dedicated back/menu below the screen?

What will be my biggest thing to get used to?

I'm not considering the Note 5 because I hear it won't have a removable battery.

Note: I've never really used the stylus.

Thanks for all comments and thoughts,
Mike

Will you hate it?

How can anyone but you can say?

Do you love the Note 3 and how you have to use it?

Hate is a very strong word, and not really appropriate for many. Dislike would be better, but again it will all depend on how married you are to the Note series and how they operate and feel and look to you. Button placement familiarity is a learned process as with any new device.

Is the camera better? For some yes because they have learned to utilize all the features of the camera and know how to stage a picture. For others, no it's not any better at all because they don't know how to take good shots,even in automatic.

The G4 is a really great phone, and so too is the Note series, but I would wait and see what battery they put in the Note before deciding to rule it out. I was adamant at one time too about this, but with my current phone it is no longer a issue with me.

There will always be tradeoffs on having to choose only 1 phone from all the good ones,choose the one that can give you the best overall experience,and then learn how to use it fully.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I decided that one of our phones will be the LG G4.

Can't wait to check it out. If I love it, I'll get one for my self, if not, the note 5 if removable battery.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I decided that one of our phones will be the LG G4.

Can't wait to check it out. If I love it, I'll get one for my self, if not, the note 5 if removable battery.

This is a great phone. No removable battery on the note 5 so welcome...lol I kid I kid

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I was a Note 3 convert and I love my G4.

But I ditched Samsung because I don't want the physical button (and the stupid capacitive back button so close to the edge which always got pressed accidentally), so my opinion may not really applies to you lol

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I was a Note 3 convert and I love my G4.

But I ditched Samsung because I don't want the physical button (and the stupid capacitive back button so close to the edge which always got pressed accidentally), so my opinion may not really applies to you lol

I cane from the note 2.

Last edited:

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I just got my LG G4 so I can answer my own question:

I LOVE my LG G4 MUCH MORE than my Note 3.

Shockingly, I love the buttons on the back and double-tap the screen to wake up. It's much more ergonomic.

And, using the double-press of the volume-down is a great way to quickly take a picture, especially covertly with each subsequent press of the volume-down button.

I like that it's lighter, and a tad smaller (easier to reach those extreme spots on the screen).

The camera is spectacular.

And the noise-suppression / voice quality is absolutely amazing! I was standing in traffic and the other person couldn't hear any of it.

Bottom line: I'm delighted!

-Mike