Should I move over to Nova Launcher?

niknik1971

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Should I move over to Nova Launcher.

I have a LG G4 and I am VERY happy with it. On my google tablet I use Nova launcher on it. I am wondering on my phone is it worth moving over to Nova Launcher (does is give me extra benefits and how does it effect the battery life). Is there any negatives to it?

Thanks

Nik

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Should I move over to Nova Launcher.

Nova Launcher offers more control and customization and, in my opinion, looks far better than the stock LG launcher. The only reasons you should keep LG Home is if you absolutely love and utilize both the Smart Bulletin and the Smart Notice or LG Calendar widgets.

There is seriously no other reason to use it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I've been using Nova launcher for more than year and I like checking the resources it uses. Battery wise never saw Nova using more than 0.2% in a regular basis. Of course, it will use more when you're playing with it and setting your layout. The average RAM use will be about 40Mb. As said above, try it! Download the free version and see how it goes. You won't regret it.

Last edited:

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

The only difference you'll notice by using Nova is the extra freedom of control over nearly every aspect of your user experience with the phone. In fact, you'll probably find more uses for it on your phone than you have on your tablet. If there's a battery or other resource hit, it's negligible, and you'll not perceive it IMO. I've used Apex and Nova exclusively for years without a second thought. The only phone manufacturer that ever produced a UX I didn't want to tinker with was HTC, but it's been years since I've owned one.

Kr0m

May 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm a new Nova Launcher user and I'm now hooked on it. Tinkered with it prior to getting my G4 a few weeks ago but I've been able to spend more time messing with it now. I like it so much I paid for the Prime and now use it on my G4, m8 and Tab S 8.4

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Will6371

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

I'm using Nova Prime for the last couple of years and it is my go-to launcher. I couldn't use the stock launcher, especially on LG because of the way their icons are all different, no consistency with them at all.

Other than the above it also gives so much better customisation over stock.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

Does double tap to turn and off still work?

With Nova, all you have to do is install Screen Lock App and use it as a double tap gesture to lock your phone. Simple as that! Nova helps my G4 run very smoothly, better than the LG user experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I've used Nova Launcher for years. I had to so I could get away from TouchWiz on my 3 previous Samsung phones. Samsung's launcher was so locked down, I had to have Nova on the phones but so far, I've been very content with LG's stock launcher. Initially, out of habit, I loaded and set-up Nova on the G4, but would up deleting it and am running stock.

For me the flexibility of the stock launcher (as compared to TouchWiz) is pretty amazing. Just off the top of my head: the ability to add a good number of home pages, to have them loop, to have up to 5 icons across and down each page, reordering the Home Buttons, re-sizing icons and widgets. It's exciting for a former Sammie inmate whose been on lock-down for a while! And my G4 is the neutered Verizon version so I haven't even seen the deleted Theme options normally on the phone.

That said, NovaLauncher is a really great app, especially the pro version. Give 'em both a spin and see what suits you!

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Love it! I bought the pro version one day after the free version was loaded up on my phone. . If that tells you anything?! The developer updates all the time. App was updated one week after the G4 come out to solve miner issues. So you can have comfort on good money spent.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

Have you seen this article from Russell? Nova Launcher may be the best thing that ever happened for Android | Android Central

My favourite features:

1. Customized icon grid -- want 4x4 or 5x5 (etc.)? It's your choice!
  2. Resizable widgets -- once you use this feature, you'll find it really hard to go back to fixed-size widgets.
  3. Gestures -- I used the free app for nearly 2 years before I sprung for the paid app, figuring that I didn't really need gestures... boy was I wrong. I do a two-finger swipe down to go to the app drawer, two-finger swipe up to go to settings, and then I combine icon/folder swipe-up with the nova shortcut activities feature to do things like these when I swipe up on the associated icon: compose a new gmail, start a new calendar entry, start a new evernote note, set Lux to manual mode brightness (using Tasker), etc.

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Yeah. If I had to decide which Nova feature is the best I will say the swipe up actions mixed with Nova Activities. Such a powerful trick to custom your screen!

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Nova is awesome. So is Solo. I love their simplicity.

But I also am very content with LG stock and continue to use it. I don't notice any lag on my G4 or on my G3 so didn't see a need to continue using Nova.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Is Nova compatible with Quick Circle Case? Or does that run separate?

Bigboldbri

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site

Running Nova prime with a Quick circle case and all seems to work fine.