Can't believe you can do this with a phone!

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy pano shot at the top of Heavenly, South Lake Tahoe, all with full auto :). A little trouble with shadows on my wife, but otherwise fantastic.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, that'd be nice ;)...Tried twice, no message saying anything about file too large, just no pic :-(. 10MB must be over the limit? A link doesn't have the same impact as the pic does in the post but, try this.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
That's a cracking shot mate - what a view! I always tend to forget about the panorama function on phones.

Thanks Tall Guy...it really was easy. Used to take the with my camera and stitch them together, but this is totally brainless and came out pretty nice, for a PHONE!

sata

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Did you take it with the default camera app?

I wonder if its better to use google camera app (talking about panorama shots)? or does not matter? just whatever you prefer? same result?

There is a panorama pictures forum here... I posted there too but with the old G2. Panoramas - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Your panorama shot does look nice :)

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
It was taken with the stock LG app. Tap to start, pan, tap to end. Couldn't have been easier, which is great for me ;).

Posted via the Android Central App

sata

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Need to try it.

On the google camera app you have a bit circle showing you if you moved it up or down thus one of the images will be off, and you can go back one step, so it might be easier to use.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
The G4 camera app also helps you figure out if you drifted high or low. It wouldn't take the next frame until I aimed the camera down a bit, to properly line up with the other shots. I liked that.

With other P&S cameras of mine, they didn't do that, so sometimes I'd gradually drift up or down between shots, then the panorama would come out poorly. It would be too short, since only the centers of the pictures actually overlapped properly.

I got to try it a few times this weekend, I was pretty happy with the results. This is one, it took what I think was a full 180 degrees (it stopped after a certain # of pics), I just cropped one side slightly as it captured stuff I didn't need. This is from atop Mount Kineo on Moosehead Lake, in Maine.

I'm not sure how it decided to focus in each picture. I think the focus may have changed during the sequence, as two adjacent frames seem to have focused differently (one better than the other).

Attachments

• 0725151416_Pano cropped.jpg
    0725151416_Pano cropped.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 156

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The G4 camera app also helps you figure out if you drifted high or low. It wouldn't take the next frame until I aimed the camera down a bit, to properly line up with the other shots. I liked that.

With other P&S cameras of mine, they didn't do that, so sometimes I'd gradually drift up or down between shots, then the panorama would come out poorly. It would be too short, since only the centers of the pictures actually overlapped properly.

I got to try it a few times this weekend, I was pretty happy with the results. This is one, it took what I think was a full 180 degrees (it stopped after a certain # of pics), I just cropped one side slightly as it captured stuff I didn't need. This is from atop Mount Kineo on Moosehead Lake, in Maine.

I'm not sure how it decided to focus in each picture. I think the focus may have changed during the sequence, as two adjacent frames seem to have focused differently (one better than the other).

Dang, purty cool! I would thing the app would focus at infinity, but maybe having some close trees throws it off. What size was the image?

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I'd have preferred to set the focus once, and have it maintain that. But it seems that perhaps it re-focused for each exposure that made up the single large picture.

The original image (uncropped) was 18,688x2,688 (50MP), 11.5 MB. The version I posted was cropped to 15,330x2,688, but when my image editor saved it at 80% JPG quality, it dropped to 3.8 MB.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that'd be nice ;)...Tried twice, no message saying anything about file too large, just no pic :-(. 10MB must be over the limit? A link doesn't have the same impact as the pic does in the post but, try this.
No wonder you couldn't post it. MAN that picture is HUGE! And very nice, good job! Since the final version is just a jpg, you can resize a copy of it using almost anything (heck, event MS Paint) in the future to post it directly on the forums. Still, it was worth the extra effort of going to drop box to see it.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
No wonder you couldn't post it. MAN that picture is HUGE! And very nice, good job! Since the final version is just a jpg, you can resize a copy of it using almost anything (heck, event MS Paint) in the future to post it directly on the forums. Still, it was worth the extra effort of going to drop box to see it.

Ran out of time, but should have just resized it in PSE like you said. The 10MB file does give you a sense of the detail the G4 captures though ;)

Kr0m

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I tried the panoramic feature for the first time (inside a house) and I was impressed that I couldn't see where the seams were... First time I've had a device not do that... With the addition of seeing pics in this thread, I'm even more impressed with the camera and can't wait to get out to try some scenic shots with it.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Aflaaaak, your image looks really good. Very little of the "oil-painting" look when zoomed in on the nearby trees. Some people have said that look may be due to the camera over-sharpening the image. It looks better than mine, I'd say.

For curiousity, what carrier/model do you have? Mine is Verizon, VS986.

I uploaded the full-size, uncropped version of my picture to Photobucket, for comparison. Mine shows more "oil-painting" artifacts, I'd say, looking at the trees. It shows ISO 50 in the EXIF info, so this should be the best-possible image quality.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/RedOctobyr/LG%20G4/0725151416_Pano.jpg

Now, I don't want to judge mine too harshly, as a panoramic doesn't give the opportunity to control the focus for each frame as much as I'd like. And depending on which frame of my picture you look at, you'll see the foreground trees show better/worse focus.

But I took some Manual-mode JPG + RAW (DNG) pictures last night, and compared the DNG to the JPG. The DNG are straight from the sensor, without any camera processing. The DNG do not show the "oil painting" look when zoomed in, though it still seems like they could be more crisp. But the DNG at least show what the camera is actually capable of, ignoring any possible over-processing or compressing by the camera app.

I didn't have a RAW (DNG) viewer. I am now using UFRaw, which is free. If there are better suggestions, please let me know.

Unfortunately, we don't have a way to really compare the same shots taken on different G4s.

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That's a great shot!

I don't know, but I've always felt that the G4 had the best panorama of every camera. I don't know why or how, but I think it's got to do with the way it stitches photos together. There's literally very few to zero imperfections. It's almost perfect.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Aflaaaak, your image looks really good. Very little of the "oil-painting" look when zoomed in on the nearby trees. Some people have said that look may be due to the camera over-sharpening the image. It looks better than mine, I'd say.

For curiousity, what carrier/model do you have? Mine is Verizon, VS986.

I uploaded the full-size, uncropped version of my picture to Photobucket, for comparison. Mine shows more "oil-painting" artifacts, I'd say, looking at the trees. It shows ISO 50 in the EXIF info, so this should be the best-possible image quality.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/RedOctobyr/LG%20G4/0725151416_Pano.jpg

Now, I don't want to judge mine too harshly, as a panoramic doesn't give the opportunity to control the focus for each frame as much as I'd like. And depending on which frame of my picture you look at, you'll see the foreground trees show better/worse focus.

But I took some Manual-mode JPG + RAW (DNG) pictures last night, and compared the DNG to the JPG. The DNG are straight from the sensor, without any camera processing. The DNG do not show the "oil painting" look when zoomed in, though it still seems like they could be more crisp. But the DNG at least show what the camera is actually capable of, ignoring any possible over-processing or compressing by the camera app.

I didn't have a RAW (DNG) viewer. I am now using UFRaw, which is free. If there are better suggestions, please let me know.

Unfortunately, we don't have a way to really compare the same shots taken on different G4s.

I have the same Verizon version as you. Wish I had taken a few with my little Canon ELPH at the same location for comparison. I just panned the camera without really thinking much about speed I was moving it...kind of a "Hey, lets see what this thing does" moment ;). The EXIF on mine was 50 ISO like yours, f/1.8, exposure 1/2083 sec. I''m sure the "oil painting" or smearing is LG's noise reduction doing it's thing as your RAW shots don't have it. I'm not enough of a knowledgeable photographer to use Full Manual, at least yet. Good news is if your RAW shots are really good, an update from LG to it's image processor may improve the already very good results from the great lens/sensor in the G4, that's if they come out with one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma