I know there were prior threads about this. We just drove from NJ to Maine for vacation last week and the phone kept stopping charging because of the heat. I have a window mount and was using the GPS as well. I also have a quick charger in the car so it can keep up with the battery drop.
    Anyway, I've now purchased and installed a CD mounted bracket that sits a bit below my AC vents. Hopefully this resolves the issue. My old Galaxy S3 did the same overheating but not to this extent I don't think. Just posting this so others are aware.
    07-27-2015 04:04 PM
    I believe one of our other mods (dpham) had the same issue. This makes me sad .. in case I need it for trips I don't want it to quit out.
    07-27-2015 04:10 PM
    Vent mount fixed the problem. Cd mount would be fine just make sure it gets good flow from my vent.
    07-27-2015 04:14 PM
    My feeling exactly which is why I got the CD dock instead of the windshield mount. I'm thinking with the Quick charge, the GPS, and the sun beating down on it from the windshield it was just too much to handle. I was in panic mode because we were driving for 7 hours and I had no idea where we were going...
    07-27-2015 04:14 PM
    Vent mount fixed the problem. Cd mount would be fine just make sure it gets good flow from my vent.
    My CD is right below my center vents so I don't think it will be an issue. I almost got the vent mount but was afraid the vents would bend with such a large phone.
    07-27-2015 04:16 PM
    Here in beautiful Canada, we get the black leather back and a grey plastic one. The black leather heats up in seconds in the car. Even with the A/C freezing me, the leather adsorbs the sunlight like a magnet.

I've circumvented the auto diming and heat throttling so I say if you're gunna blow... blow.. Mabye I'll make the news. Lately I've been leaving it in my pocket in the car seeing I keep my eyes on the road anyway.
    07-27-2015 05:19 PM
    Just nav'd back and forth from CT to MD last week with GPS on high accuracy, Waze, and Google maps on...throw in some phone conversations too. The phone got warm/hot but never shut down or got a warning. It was not being charged, just going off of battery power which lasted a surprisingly long time. I had the spare and switched it at about the 4 hour mark (of 5 hours total.)
    07-27-2015 05:23 PM
    I know there were prior threads about this. We just drove from NJ to Maine for vacation last week and the phone kept stopping charging because of the heat. I have a window mount and was using the GPS as well. I also have a quick charger in the car so it can keep up with the battery drop.
    Anyway, I've now purchased and installed a CD mounted bracket that sits a bit below my AC vents. Hopefully this resolves the issue. My old Galaxy S3 did the same overheating but not to this extent I don't think. Just posting this so others are aware.
    That's bad to hear. I also had the same problem with my S3 when driving in direct sunlight, charging, and Waze (which is basically GPS). I hope I don't have to get a vent or CD mount, because I prefer to have my view at window level, not below, but based on your experience, I may have to go that route. Guess I'll find out on my next trip to Florida.
    07-27-2015 05:25 PM
    My CD is right below my center vents so I don't think it will be an issue. I almost got the vent mount but was afraid the vents would bend with such a large phone.
    You would still get some air flow.

With regards to the vent mount, mine has most of the weight in the two feet that sit on the body of the car not in the vent
    07-27-2015 06:00 PM
    A window mount will always heat the phone up but I have had no problems with mine.
    My G4 never passes 106F.

A white case or back plate would help in this situation.
    Even though I have an all black case my phone never overheats.
    07-27-2015 06:51 PM
    You would still get some air flow.

With regards to the vent mount, mine has most of the weight in the two feet that sit on the body of the car not in the vent
    The only vent mounts I've seen actually connect to the vent itself and hang there but, quite honestly, I didn't research them very much. I'm happy for now with the CD Mount except that I've been driving with a window mount for so many years that it's hard to get used to looking in another spot. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.
    07-27-2015 07:17 PM
    A window mount will always heat the phone up but I have had no problems with mine.
    My G4 never passes 106F.

Mine didn't get hot either until I left for vacation in 90+ degrees for a 7 hour drive. I have the black leather back as well though.
    07-27-2015 07:18 PM
    That's bad to hear. I also had the same problem with my S3 when driving in direct sunlight, charging, and Waze (which is basically GPS). I hope I don't have to get a vent or CD mount, because I prefer to have my view at window level, not below, but based on your experience, I may have to go that route. Guess I'll find out on my next trip to Florida.
    I was using Waze on my trip as well. I'm not sure if that uses more processing power than Google Maps though.
    07-27-2015 07:19 PM
    I was using Waze on my trip as well. I'm not sure if that uses more processing power than Google Maps though.
    It might, but not by much I wouldn't think. Good point though, considering the additional info it's pulling in real time.
    07-27-2015 07:22 PM
    The only vent mounts I've seen actually connect to the vent itself and hang there but, quite honestly, I didn't research them very much. I'm happy for now with the CD Mount except that I've been driving with a window mount for so many years that it's hard to get used to looking in another spot. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

The one that I have attaches to the vent on top, and has 2 legs at the bottom that rests against the body.
    Boy does this phone overheat quickly in the car!-uploadfromtaptalk1438139452369.jpg
    07-28-2015 10:11 PM
    I was in panic mode because we were driving for 7 hours and I had no idea where we were going...
    You know, I'm all for technology and the promises of easing our burdens from certain things, but why would you not have a physical map in your vehicle on such a long trip?

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active
    07-29-2015 04:11 AM
    You know, I'm all for technology and the promises of easing our burdens from certain things, but why would you not have a physical map in your vehicle on such a long trip?

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active
    Physical map? What is this physical map you speak of? Actually we were fine as we used my wife's LG3 as a backup from the passenger seat...
    07-29-2015 05:41 AM
    My G4 never passes 106F.

Dude, 106F is very HOT!

Posted via the Android Central App on My T-Mobile LG G4
    07-29-2015 06:29 AM
    That's bad to hear. I also had the same problem with my S3 when driving in direct sunlight, charging, and Waze
    Mine too, about the same as my G4 but to be fair, I wasn't charging the G4 while I was using it for nav, I might have been in the overheating group had I done that. Next time I'm going on a trip I'll plug in to see how it goes.

Wondering if this is the same with other phones these days or is just unique to the G4?
    07-29-2015 06:56 AM
    Dude, 106F is very HOT!

To us as humans it can be but to some technology it can be normal.

For a phone it can be considered pretty warm or hot depending on the task and conditions.
    sswitzer likes this.
    07-29-2015 07:26 AM
    Dude, 106F is very HOT!

Its normal trust me, my G3 had overheating issues and got up to 215F.

My G4 has no overheating issues and no lag.
    08-29-2015 08:41 PM
    Well, once you cross over about 100° F, the G4 goes into preservation mode and it will no longer accept more than a trickle charge. Obviously LG thinks that is a temperature that could damage something.
    08-29-2015 09:09 PM