LG G4 vs G3

Doohickie

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I remember this when I got my WinPhone. The problem is I depend on the phone for several things and not knowing how to do those things anymore is frustrating. It took a day or so with the WinPhone and I'm only a few hours into this.

It's probably just the fact that I understood the organization of my old phone, but this seems like chaos.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Good luck, Doohickie, enjoy!

As a fellow mechanical engineer with an interest in computers, I can sympathize with appreciating spreadsheets, etc :) I made one to compare dimensions and volumes for the different phones I was considering. I was trying to get a sense of how bulky each was, without the benefit of having them all in front of me.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
The thing about the WinPhone is it was simple. Very clean design. The G4 seems very cluttered. There's a whole bunch of stuff that I don't need and I haven't figured out how to get rid of it yet. And I don't know how to reorganize things.

For anyone who knows both Android and WinPhone, does Android have anything like WinPhone's live tiles?

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The thing about the WinPhone is it was simple. Very clean design. The G4 seems very cluttered. There's a whole bunch of stuff that I don't need and I haven't figured out how to get rid of it yet. And I don't know how to reorganize things.

For anyone who knows both Android and WinPhone, does Android have anything like WinPhone's live tiles?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are going to experience severe disorientation going from Win Phone to Android. They are just completely different user interfaces. If you are someone who can endure a little "trial by fire", and enjoy a rewarding learning process, you will not regret sticking this out and figuring out the major differences and subtle nuances of your new phone OS. I came to Android from Windows Phone OS 6! (It had a START MENU).

The great thing about Android is that most of the basic features you need should be -- at a very minimum -- easy enough to figure out just by poking around a bit. Don't be afraid to poke around and look at all of the settings (pull down from the top of the phone screen, and select the gear icon). You aren't limited to the icons on the default screen. There are a lot of additional applications in the Applications Menu -- you already found that right? Press and hold on a blank spot on the desktop, and select "Widgets" Oh crap, now you're playing with widgets for the next two hours.

Take you time and enjoy learning through experimentation. Come back here for specific questions, but always try your best to figure it out for yourself first -- it's immensely satisfying, and will make you a more powerful user.

And finally, download and install ether/and Apex or Nova launcher. They are (IMO) the best two launcher replacements available, and their free versions are not crippled (paid versions inexpensive and worth every penny). Think of the launcher as the "windows" overlay to DOS. There are a crap-ton of them out there, and almost all are better than the stock launcher that comes with most manufacturer's phones. Opinions vary on this, but you'll find damned few users disputing my two recommendations; especially Nova which is probably the most popular launcher on the market. Using custom launchers and widgets allows you to create the most simple or complex interface you want, and since you're creating it, you'll be intimately familiar with it.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I think exploring lauchers is a good suggestion. But at least based on how I approach things, I'd take some time using the stock interface first. To get used to the "normal" version, and to let you better appreciate what launchers can add, when you try one.

It might also make asking initial questions a bit easier if still using the stock launcher. Most of us have used the stock launcher, at least briefly. I was using Nova on my last phone, but I'm using the stock LG launcher on my G4 for now.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I think exploring lauchers is a good suggestion. But at least based on how I approach things, I'd take some time using the stock interface first. To get used to the "normal" version, and to let you better appreciate what launchers can add, when you try one.

It might also make asking initial questions a bit easier if still using the stock launcher. Most of us have used the stock launcher, at least briefly. I was using Nova on my last phone, but I'm using the stock LG launcher on my G4 for now.

Great advice. I'm doing just that too.

Doohickie

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Some great tips, thanks.

I'm kind of alternating between trying to figure out the big picture and just doing a very specific task and learning how to do it "organically" if you know what I mean. I have a feeling I'm making a mess of my phone right now, but I'm pretty sure I'll figure out how to clean things up before too long.

I managed to load Strava and MyFitnessPal and get them talking together in time to record my bicycle ride tonight (Critical Mass for the bike riding crowd out there); ended up with 35 miles tonight. In doing that I learned a bit about how you do things on Android.

I'm not a big fan of the current launch page, so I'll try another launcher at some point. I need to figure all this stuff out. I generally know what I want to do (based on things I did on the WinPhone) but don't have a clue how to accomplish them. But it's slowly coming into focus.

Doohickie

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site

Yes, that's actually what I plan to do. I'm trying to use my phone to *do things* right now; By doing that I think I'll figure out how to use it in a more general sense. Then I may look at launchers.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, that's actually what I plan to do. I'm trying to use my phone to *do things* right now; By doing that I think I'll figure out how to use it in a more general sense. Then I may look at launchers.
This is my first Smartphone and I don't know what I don't know yet. Going to learn WHY I need to change things before I do.

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I remember this when I got my WinPhone. The problem is I depend on the phone for several things and not knowing how to do those things anymore is frustrating. It took a day or so with the WinPhone and I'm only a few hours into this.

It's probably just the fact that I understood the organization of my old phone, but this seems like chaos.

I know. It was a bit of a learning curve coming from my Nokia 1020 to my first Android, but things have settled in nicely. Just remember, a lot of the stuff baked into Windows Phone is not on Android, but as the saying goes: "there's an app for that".

The thing you need to remember, is Android is not dynamic like WP is but with add ons (ie "widgets") it can be more dynamic-like. I had to tweak to get unread counts installed - which you'd think would be out the box enabled.

Good luck - the longer you own it, the easier it becomes.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I know. It was a bit of a learning curve coming from my Nokia 1020 to my first Android, but things have settled in nicely. Just remember, a lot of the stuff baked into Windows Phone is not on Android, but as the saying goes: "there's an app for that".

The thing you need to remember, is Android is not dynamic like WP is but with add ons (ie "widgets") it can be more dynamic-like. I had to tweak to get unread counts installed - which you'd think would be out the box enabled.

Good luck - the longer you own it, the easier it becomes.
What I like better about Android than Windows Phone more than anything else is the ability to share files. I chose ES File Explorer as my file manager app, but there are many other good ones in Google Play. I'm able to send any type of file as an email attachment, not just a picture and no need for sending links to cloud services such as OneDrive. That, to me, makes Android more suitable for professional use.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

manusbaldspot

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
The G4 has an easy mode option. Switch your home launcher to easy for the first few days. If that 's too basic, go with the Google Now launcher. Both are very clean and easy to you.

Okay, I'm settling in nicely now. I've got the basics figured out and I've downloaded most of the apps I need.

Posted via the Android Central App

Doohickie

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
No need to root it.

I've set up Smart Lock. I'm a bit disappointed. I can understand that it will need to learn a bit for face recognition, but it seems like the location recognition would be more assured. A lot of time it doesn't unlock in my home even thought it's set up as a safe location. Work is even spottier.

It's neat, but I'm not sure it's quite ready for primetime.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
No need to root it.

I've set up Smart Lock. I'm a bit disappointed. I can understand that it will need to learn a bit for face recognition, but it seems like the location recognition would be more assured. A lot of time it doesn't unlock in my home even thought it's set up as a safe location. Work is even spottier.

It's neat, but I'm not sure it's quite ready for primetime.

When I first bought my G4, Trusted Places seemed to work pretty consistently, but over time, it works less and less. Verizon was not much help and tempted to call LG to see if they have any suggestions. Maybe an update will help.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
When I first bought my G4, Trusted Places seemed to work pretty consistently, but over time, it works less and less. Verizon was not much help and tempted to call LG to see if they have any suggestions. Maybe an update will help.

Hopefully they will. But I must say, I'm pretty underwhelmed with their support so far.

The responses seem to be:
- Exchange the device
- Do a factory reset
or
- Send it in for warranty

Even when asking them if they can reproduce an LG-software problem that several of us here have reproduced, on G4s from different carriers.

It's as if the phone and software are assumed to be perfect, and that the only possible explanation for a problem is an instance of faulty hardware. They, so far, seem to show no interest in trying to troubleshoot or understand a problem.

That mindset concerns me. Especially in light of things like touchscreen issues that persist 2.5 months after release, will little/no acknowledgement by LG.

Last edited:

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
It's as if the phone and software are assumed to be perfect, and that the only possible explanation for a problem is an instance of faulty hardware. They, so far, seem to show no interest in trying to troubleshoot or understand a problem.

They're assuming that a low volume of issues reported by this not working is a sign that the software is working, but there are lingering issues tied to other aspects of the phone, like 3rd party applications, user error, personal equipment like your home wireless router, etc.