Are you still happy with the g4?

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
So I've had my G4 for about a month, am I'm still trying to decide if I like the phone or not.. I love the way it feels in hand, the leather backs are great, camera takes great pictures... BUT I feel like the battery dies way to fast when actually using the phone, the keyboard lag is ridiculous (yes I've tried all of the top rated keyboards..using google keyboard now with the best results), phone lags when opening stock apps, and it heats up like crazy...

I've had a ton of android phones but my most recent was the iPhone (not looking to go back to apple) but before the iPhone I had a Note 4, I don't remember the Note 4 getting hot and I feel like the battery lasted longer. Probably still had the lag with the Note 4, though I know the low light pictures weren't as good as the G6...

So I'm kinda looking at the Note 5 and the new Moto X

fridgey100

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree, other than the overheating issue, haven't experienced that at all. I'm going to see what the reviews for the OPO2 and Moto x style are like, especially their cameras as I wouldn't like to downgrade, however I doubt either phone will be on par with the g4 camera.

Posted via the Android Central App

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Of the issues mentioned, I'm only experiencing the heat... it's not something I had with my old Note 2, but this phone is a gazillion times faster, the screen is far brighter, and the screen has a far higher resolution. So my feeling is that the heat is the price you pay for all that power. However, if it was metal casing, the heat would probably dissipate faster. (Here's a recent AC article doing a heat comparison between modern flagships: A look at the One M9, S6 edge, LG G4, and Droid Turbo through the Flir One | Android Central ).

I'm not getting any lag, but I understand (from reading nearly every G4 forum post) that lag may be due to carrier software issues.

For battery, I'm very happy with it. I can get 24 to 30 hours of standby time (if I do a clear-all frequently), and I usually get around 3.5 hours of SOT. For both battery and heat issues, I highly recommend doing a "clear-all" to calm the phone down.

As a means of moving in the right direction, if you choose to stay with the G4, please read through the Common Issues and Solutions sticky ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/544443-common-issues-solutions.html ) where there are both Lag and Heating thread links. I suspect, however, that you've already done that.

EDIT: One more thing to try, re: keyboard lag... do you have a bunch of screenshots in the clip tray? If so, try deleting them from the clip tray and see if that helps.

Last edited:

missouriexile

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I came from the N3. I am happy with the LG G4.
I find I need minalist case to keep the camera lense off the surface I lay the phone on.
That kind of negates value of the leather.back.
Again very happy with the LG G4.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am but the Moto X Pure Edition has me very interested. I have never tried Pure Android before so I would like to try it.

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I have similar issues with the over heating, lag, and battery issues. I came from the 6 Plus which was just the smoothest phone I've ever had. This phone is terribly slow compared to that phone but I can deal with it.

An update is needed for Wi-Fi calling since my phone drops the Wi-Fi connection daily and I depend on Wi-Fi since I use Wi-Fi calling for everything. LG dropped the ball on that.

Overall, I am happy but an update is needed asap.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have similar issues with the over heating, lag, and battery issues. I came from the 6 Plus which was just the smoothest phone I've ever had. This phone is terribly slow compared to that phone but I can deal with it.

An update is needed for Wi-Fi calling since my phone drops the Wi-Fi connection daily and I depend on Wi-Fi since I use Wi-Fi calling for everything. LG dropped the ball on that.

Overall, I am happy but an update is needed asap.

Wifi calling is a carrier feature, not really an LG feature or else I'd have it on my global unlocked model (H815). Your carrier has dropped the ball.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes I'm still happy with it. It's the best Android device I've owned.

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Of the issues mentioned, I'm only experiencing the heat... it's not something I had with my old Note 2, but this phone is a gazillion times faster, the screen is far brighter, and the screen has a far higher resolution. So my feeling is that the heat is the price you pay for all that power. However, if it was metal casing, the heat would probably dissipate faster. (Here's a recent AC article doing a heat comparison between modern flagships: A look at the One M9, S6 edge, LG G4, and Droid Turbo through the Flir One | Android Central ).

I'm not getting any lag, but I understand (from reading nearly every G4 forum post) that lag may be due to carrier software issues.

For battery, I'm very happy with it. I can get 24 to 30 hours of standby time (if I do a clear-all frequently), and I usually get around 3.5 hours of SOT. For both battery and heat issues, I highly recommend doing a "clear-all" to calm the phone down.

As a means of moving in the right direction, if you choose to stay with the G4, please read through the Common Issues and Solutions sticky ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/544443-common-issues-solutions.html ) where there are both Lag and Heating thread links. I suspect, however, that you've already done that.

EDIT: One more thing to try, re: keyboard lag... do you have a bunch of screenshots in the clip tray? If so, try deleting them from the clip tray and see if that helps.

Really wish I could get that kinda stand by time and screen on time... I'm getting from 6:30am to about 9:30pm out of my phone and that's with 2 hours of screen on time.. Now that time frame works for monday thru thurs but for a friday and saturday I have to carry a second battery.. I do clear the recent apps a lot, but how do you clear the clip tray???

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Overall very happy...great battery life until I get the occasional rogue running app. Gets hot but I don't really care, hasn't shut down or given me any warning notices so it doesn't affect me. Love the two batteries. It's fast, great screen, great everything else...a keeper for a few years for sure.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
According to my benchmark scores, it isn't as fast as my Motorola Droid Turbo was. However, in actual use, I don't see the difference in speed; it's quite fluid. Additionally, the extra .3 inches of screen while still being (reasonably) comfortable to hold (note that I have small hands at only 5 and half foot tall) and the much lighter weight are big plusses. I've been fortunate not to experience lag or heat issues, and while only owning for 7 days, I don't see me returning it for anything different.

Yes, I'm still happy to have the G4.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
how do you clear the clip tray

If you're using the LG keyboard (which you're likely not?) hold-tap the settings icon and you'll see a little clip tray icon. Otherwise, hold-tap into a text entry (do a google search) and you should see a "clip tray" link thingy show up.

Really wish I could get that kinda stand by time and screen on time... I'm getting from 6:30am to about 9:30pm out of my phone and that's with 2 hours of screen on time.

It may be a carrier thing, in which case I can't suggest much. However, read through the Battery and Access Lock threads in the Common Issues and Solutions sticky, focusing on solutions! There are lots of things you can do to improve your battery performance, and it may be something as simple as switching over to Lux for your auto-brightness, or changing what things get synched to the cloud.

According to GSam Battery Monitor, my averages for complete charge: Battery 23h 46m, Screen On: 3h 23m. And that's without hardly ever draining the battery completely... I think, although I'm not sure, that those totals would go up if I drained; I usually charge at around 20% to 40%. (Before anyone pipes in about 3h 23m not being very good SOT, in a 16 hour "I'm up and about day", I'm able to use my phone 21% of my every waking time, that's 12 1/2 minutes out of every hour of my day.)

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Regardless, the issue needs to be fixed because it was built into the software.

True, but if you were to buy another Android flagship from your carrier you might end up with the same problem, as it's not something that LG created.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I love my G4. After uninstalling what I could and disabling certain applications my phone fly's. Using swipe on Google Keyboard presents no lag whatsoever. Also, I did a factory reset after owning the phone for a couple of weeks after it was released on T Mobile. Running Google Now Launcher. Again, love my G4

Last edited:

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not saying it would fix it but Wi-Fi calling worked flawlessly on my 6 Plus so it's difficult for me sit here and experience this. My galaxy s5 last year had flawless Wi-Fi calling as well. This isn't a new feature, it's been around for years.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I am happy with mine (Verizon). Mine has been a somewhat bumpy road, I am on unit #3. But this one seems good.

I'd like more battery life, but I've gotten 4.5 hours with 20% battery still left. That was an odd-use scenario, the phone had only been on for 7.5 hours, but still. That was the best I've seen from mine.

I get some lag going back to the Home screen sometimes, not sure why.

But I like the screen, I think the phone is speedy, and the camera is good. I like this one so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech