Is the display dimmer for anyone?

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up the G4 (AT&T). One strange thing I've noticed is that the display seems dimmer than most smartphones. What I mean is, on my G2 I was happy in a normal room with about 60% brightness (auto off). On the G4, I have to crank it to 75 - 80% to enjoy the display. Otherwise it looks too dim. Auto just makes it dimmer. Almost as if the basic backlighting has been turned down by default.

Could this be a byproduct of the quantum HD screen, the higher resolution, or did I maybe get a defective unit? I've never heard of a defect where the screen is too dim. Everywhere I read said the G4 made a big improvement in the brightness of the display to compete with AMOLED but this seems dimmer to me than even my prior G2. Just trying to figure out if my mind is playing tricks on me

JmpnJeronimo

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
It's just the phone in thinking. Mine is the same way, there no way you can leave it on auto mode. I'm constantly changing mine up or down

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Not just avoiding auto mode, but if you put the G4 screen at, say, 70% brightness and another LCD phone at 70%, does the G4 seem dimmer to you?