The next evolution of the buttons on the back?

metallifan33

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about you guys, but since switching to the G4, I absolutely love having my power/volume buttons on the back. They are naturally where my index finger falls. They work great when I pull the phone out of my pocket to check a notification or text and power it off and put it back in my pocket thereby never touching the screen.
What I would love to see though is some mechanism with which I can scroll that is located in the back (maybe even a touch sensitive power button that scrolls the screen when you move your finger across it?)
That would be so awesome. Then I could pull the phone out of my pocket, unlock it, scroll thru and email or text, and put it back and never touch the screen.
How about scrolling thru Facebook and not having to touch the screen?
Almost reminds me of the scroll wheel on the old blackberries.
What do you think?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the next iteration should have the heart of whoever thought it up nailed to the buttons. I've worked on a few of them and I hate having them on the back. (But then, it took 3 years to drag me from DOS to Windows, so I'm not what you'd call someone who rushes into new things.)

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about you guys, but since switching to the G4, I absolutely love having my power/volume buttons on the back. They are naturally where my index finger falls. They work great when I pull the phone out of my pocket to check a notification or text and power it off and put it back in my pocket thereby never touching the screen.
What I would love to see though is some mechanism with which I can scroll that is located in the back (maybe even a touch sensitive power button that scrolls the screen when you move your finger across it?)
That would be so awesome. Then I could pull the phone out of my pocket, unlock it, scroll thru and email or text, and put it back and never touch the screen.
How about scrolling thru Facebook and not having to touch the screen?
Almost reminds me of the scroll wheel on the old blackberries.
What do you think?

My last three phones have had buttons on the back. (G2, G3, G4)
Dont think I can go back to clumsy side buttons being left handed. I was trying to handle my wifes S6 at a party and I kept triggering the camera flash by hitting the side buttons!

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree I love but there are moments when it can get annoying when I'm watching and have to pick it up the adjust the volume.

SHIFT_g4

Gigahorse

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Yes! I've had a similar thought before. Being able to scroll from the back would make so much sense. Much less hand strain that having to use your thumb, especially now that the G4 got a bit too large (in my opinion) and is no longer comfortable to use with one hand.

I'm a full supporter of the back buttons in the first place, I can't believe how many people hated the idea and would always subtract from the review score of these LG phones saying that it's weird. It just makes way too much sense, and it's one of the few unique things that have been done on smartphones in a long time. That's why I've stuck with LG, I love the ideas they come up with. I just wish we'd finally get a flagship from them with some front facing speakers.

But yes, totally on board for expanding the controls on the back of the phone even further.

JackDN06

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Love the volume buttons on the back, but hate the power button in the middle. Difficult to turn the phone off without hitting a volume button first.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
it's one of the few unique things that have been done on smartphones in a long time. That's why I've stuck with LG, I love the ideas they come up with. I just wish we'd finally get a flagship from them with some front facing speakers.
I could definitely go for front-facing speakers. I hate having to hold the end of the phone toward my ear. But with my fat fingers, I want an ultra-thin stylus, and only Samsung's Note series has one as far as I can see. The standard ones are too thick-pointed for me.

anon(166548)

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
How on earth do people get this phone into recovery mode? Those buttons are so close together that I have failed miserably at this seemingly simple task.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I could definitely go for front-facing speakers. I hate having to hold the end of the phone toward my ear. But with my fat fingers, I want an ultra-thin stylus, and only Samsung's Note series has one as far as I can see. The standard ones are too thick-pointed for me.

The back speaker is plenty loud enough for me. If i need more volume i use the headphone jack so as not to disturb others.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech