Sorry, but have to gush just a little

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I've had my G4 for going on a month now...it's my first "smart" phone, and I have to say it's so frigging cool it is to have all this power in my hand, but then I'm not telling you folks something you don't already know from years of having smartphones ;). It's like I switched from a spork to a Leatherman, or from riding a bicycle to driving a Lexus. I might have been just as happy with any smart phone, but wanted something I could hang onto a while without feeling too slow for whatever apps that come out in a couple years, be able to take nice photos without remembering my camera, have my entire contacts list with me anywhere, watch a movie or play a game in a pinch, keep almost all of my music collection with me, etc. I also didn't want to go the ubiquitous rout of the everybody's-got-one iPhone or Samsung whatever. I don't push my phone hard, but I'm happy my G4 has none of the issues many people have reported (at least yet). The screen on my old Samsung Convoy 3 seems like such a tiny, claustrophobic toy I almost always had to use my glasses to see...the G4 is too cool! Tried texting on the Convoy that I gave to my wife last night...don't think I can go there anymore. Glad I waited for something that's given me such a wonderful initial experience :). Feel like I need a cigarette...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
haha nice, honest 'review' haha
But yeah, the G4 is quite the device. You'll love the camera. I know I do! And standby battery life is AMAZING!

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
haha nice, honest 'review' haha
But yeah, the G4 is quite the device. You'll love the camera. I know I do! And standby battery life is AMAZING!

Actually just used it on myAmazon review;).
Took most of our family vacation to Tahoe pics with it. Noise reduction is a little too aggressive at times, but only notice it mostly when zoomed in. I get two days battery, though that gets me down to the 20% range, so usually recharge every night. Got my free orange leather back + battery/charger, a 64GB SD card coming...as the letters of the company stand for, Life's Good!

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The G4 is my main camera for the kiddos, doesnt disappoint!

We threw a surprise party for my sister and i had a friend(who owns an iPhone 5S) take the video with my G4, she said "dang! Thats good quality! Cant believe they make my washing machine!"

i lol'd

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes....to be able to do so much with such a small handheld device. They are an astounding technological development.
The G4 is one of the best of current devices....some would say it IS the best. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The G4 is my main camera for the kiddos, doesnt disappoint!

We threw a surprise party for my sister and i had a friend(who owns an iPhone 5S) take the video with my G4, she said "dang! Thats good quality! Cant believe they make my washing machine!"

i lol'd

Credit where credit is due... iPhone Cameras are really good, too... and while the LG G4 would probably outshine your friend's 5S in static pictures and standard video, it will be left ashamed and in the dust if you use the SloMo feature. For lack of a better allowed word: It's crap in the G4 (and any Android I've seen, for that matter).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually just used it on myAmazon review;).
Took most of our family vacation to Tahoe pics with it. Noise reduction is a little too aggressive at times, but only notice it mostly when zoomed in. I get two days battery, though that gets me down to the 20% range, so usually recharge every night. Got my free orange leather back + battery/charger, a 64GB SD card coming...as the letters of the company stand for, Life's Good!

Just take my advice: NEVER store your camera pictures in SD card. Back them up regularly to the cloud (Google is free now for full res pictures on the G4, so no excuses), and only move your media to the SD card once you're certain it's backed up somewhere else.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes....to be able to do so much with such a small handheld device. They are an astounding technological development.
The G4 is one of the best of current devices....some would say it IS the best. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Yup...I'm officially spoiled! Actually started an argument with the wife last night since, she got my old Samsung and I got the G4. She and I have always been a little anti-smart phone over the years, and she likes a small flip phone to take on runs, and is a little bit of a technophobe, that she didn't want a smart phone. Now that she sees how cool mine is, she's pissed!

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Just take my advice: NEVER store your camera pictures in SD card. Back them up regularly to the cloud (Google is free now for full res pictures on the G4, so no excuses), and only move your media to the SD card once you're certain it's backed up somewhere else.

Will do...are MicroSD cards that bad?? Never had a problem with the regular SD cards in my Canon cameras. I usually download them to my computer in batches, then back them up to a couple HDDs. I bought MS Office 360 with 1TB of storage, but after taking FOREVER to upload large batches of photo files (AND, you have to upload them by individual file, no folders containing 50 photos, so too much clicking for me), I stopped using it (though that was over WiFi, so should try plugging into LAN for uploads). Never tried Google, but use the free version of DB a little. Don't feel like paying more for another cloud storage site at the moment, but forgot about the free Google account.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Will do...are MicroSD cards that bad?? Never had a problem with the regular SD cards in my Canon cameras. I usually download them to my computer in batches, then back them up to a couple HDDs. I bought MS Office 360 with 1TB of storage, but after taking FOREVER to upload large batches of photo files (AND, you have to upload them by individual file, no folders containing 50 photos, so too much clicking for me), I stopped using it (though that was over WiFi, so should try plugging into LAN for uploads). Never tried Google, but use the free version of DB a little. Don't feel like paying more for another cloud storage site at the moment.

Just prone to failure, bad batch runs,etc just like any other piece of technology.

One Drive has its faults but it's constantly getting better. And when you can buy an Office 365 sub on Amazon for less than $30 and get 1TB of storage with it, it's the best $30 you will spend all year for storage.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Since the G4 can't take pictures in a bigger resolution than Google Photos' full-size limit (I believe the limit is 16MP, or it might be 20, can't remember...anything above that gets re-sized to that maximum size) and backing up full-size pictures to Google is free, if you want that 1TB just for pictures, then yeah, those 30 bucks are the worst idea ever. Your Google Photos will also appear in Google Drive so you can sync them to your computer should you wish to do so.

SD Cards are less prone to failure than microSD cards, but both have a overwrite limit, meaning that at some point, they will fail. Usually designed so that the above-average user won't have to ever worry about that, but still. Just take a plunge in the forums and look for 'corrupted SD card' or 'lost my pictures' and you'll see what I mean when I say NEVER save your main pics there unless backed up already.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Since the G4 can't take pictures in a bigger resolution than Google Photos' full-size limit (I believe the limit is 16MP, or it might be 20, can't remember...anything above that gets re-sized to that maximum size) and backing up full-size pictures to Google is free, if you want that 1TB just for pictures, then yeah, those 30 bucks are the worst idea ever. Your Google Photos will also appear in Google Drive so you can sync them to your computer should you wish to do so.

SD Cards are less prone to failure than microSD cards, but both have a overwrite limit, meaning that at some point, they will fail. Usually designed so that the above-average user won't have to ever worry about that, but still. Just take a plunge in the forums and look for 'corrupted SD card' or 'lost my pictures' and you'll see what I mean when I say NEVER save your main pics there unless backed up already.

Lol at the worst idea ever. Who has just pictures? Google photos tops out at 1080p for video. So much for recording in 4k if I wanted it backed up with Google. One Drive stores everything I need plus I get the newest version of Office on my Surface.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
One thing I'm unsure of: does Google re-compress pics under 16MP? They could store an unlimited qty, but they could conceivably increase the compression level to save space. Sacrificing quality.

Also, I use Verizon's Cloud service, I get 25GB free (OK, "free" ). I save my pics to my SD card, and it automatically backs them up from there.

Do other services not do this? Why add the hassle of moving pictures from internal storage to SD manually after they're backed up?

Aflaaak, I'm glad you're enjoying it! My first smartphone was a very eye opening experience, they are extremely capable.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
One thing I'm unsure of: does Google re-compress pics under 16MP? They could store an unlimited qty, but they could conceivably increase the compression level to save space. Sacrificing quality.

Also, I use Verizon's Cloud service, I get 25GB free (OK, "free" ). I save my pics to my SD card, and it automatically backs them up from there.

Do other services not do this? Why add the hassle of moving pictures from internal storage to SD manually after they're backed up?

Aflaaak, I'm glad you're enjoying it! My first smartphone was a very eye opening experience, they are extremely capable.

Yeah, One Drive and dropbox, the only clouds I have used, have auto backup for pictures and video. The camera saves to SD card and the apps do the auto backup.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Just prone to failure, bad batch runs,etc just like any other piece of technology.

One Drive has its faults but it's constantly getting better. And when you can buy an Office 365 sub on Amazon for less than $30 and get 1TB of storage with it, it's the best $30 you will spend all year for storage.

Can I also pipe in that you can use FolderSync ( https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....android.foldersync.full&hl=en&token=EjwDGKZy ) to do really effective device-to-cloud / cloud-to-device synching without the need to use that particular cloud service's app; I use FolderSync to do several different synchs (photos, videos, music, recordings) back and forth with Dropbox. It can handle Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon Cloud Drive and AWS S3, One Drive, SugarSync, and the list goes on...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Because SD Cards fail, and when they do, they tend to do so BEFORE they give you a chance to back up. Better safe than sorry.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Yup, Google Photos does re-compress your pictures. It's a very efficient compression, barely noticeable, but there is a compression there. If you want RAW files, for instance, then you'd need to use their uncompressed feature, which does take away from your Drive quota.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Lol at the worst idea ever. Who has just pictures? Google photos tops out at 1080p for video. So much for recording in 4k if I wanted it backed up with Google. One Drive stores everything I need plus I get the newest version of Office on my Surface.

That's why I said IF you only want this for Pictures. I don't have any need for 4k video, I'm not in need of RAW files so the re-compressed version of Google serves my purposes. For any other files, I just use Drive, and so far the free storage has been more than enough for MY needs. I, of course, don't upload my backed up movies from BR to the cloud, and actually use the SD card for those.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
That's why I said IF you only want this for Pictures. I don't have any need for 4k video, I'm not in need of RAW files so the re-compressed version of Google serves my purposes. For any other files, I just use Drive, and so far the free storage has been more than enough for MY needs. I, of course, don't upload my backed up movies from BR to the cloud, and actually use the SD card for those.

And that's why my original post said storage and not just photo backup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC