08-20-2015 12:21 AM
29 12
tools
    As some of you know I got my H815 not long ago, just been messing with it, see lots of stuff that I'd like gone and to learn what they do. I'm new to phones so I guess I need to unlock the boot loader / root it and then install TWRP most likely. Rooting and such seems to still be kinda sketchy and I'm scared to try it myself, I don't have another $500 if something goes wrong. So if someone could walk me through doing these things, live, via FB, Steam, any messenger, etc. I'd personally like to do Team Viewer. I can pay via Paypal for some help.

I also believe I'll need to flash my firmware I guess since it's saying 10b?

So please send me a PM with your contact details so we can get started, I'd like it done ASAP.

H815 Unlocking / Rooting / TWRP (Paying!)-screenshot_2015-08-16-21-06-56.jpg
    08-16-2015 08:16 PM
    Let me suggest that you spend some time over on XDA reading, reading, reading. And then read some more. Even if someone does it for you things could still go wrong. Plus, you should really have some kind of understanding of what is going on with the whole process.

If you don't have the money to replace the phone then I would be 100% sure you understand what is going on before just jumping in.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it is.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-16-2015 08:48 PM
    I agree, been there reading and such for long awhile. Seems there is that main rooting thread but I don't have 10c version and that's a whole new issue. I just need someone to take me under their wing so I can watch, ask questions, and understand whats going on and learn something solid instead of reading many different threads that don't have any real clear answers.

Talking with someone who has rooted the same H815 model would be my best bet which is what I'm asking for.
    elcomo22 likes this.
    08-16-2015 08:54 PM
    Well the good thing about being able to unlock the boot loader is you can then flash TWRP via fastboot and then flash SuperSU in TWRP. You wouldn't need that other method for root for all the phones without boatloader unlock.
    08-16-2015 09:02 PM
    I'm sure I can unlock the boot loader myself with this site: ::: LG Developer :::

But the rest I'm still clueless on really, and scared to try alone. xD
    08-17-2015 11:07 AM
    I'm sure I can unlock the boot loader myself with this site: ::: LG Developer :::

But the rest I'm still clueless on really, and scared to try alone. xD
    The unlock uses fastboot so if you can do that then you can fastboot TWRP and once you install TWRP you just flash SuperSu and you will have root.
    08-17-2015 12:11 PM
    It's taking longer than I expected for there to be an easier method of rooting than the current (risky) one at XDA; granted, I haven't rooted a carrier phone for several phone generations, so I guess it's gotten harder lately. I'm still waiting for another method to be released...if anyone is even working on it anymore? Does anyone know? Or is this method at XDA (which seems to produce a green blob on camera photos afterwards, I might add) the only thing we'll likely see for this device?
    08-17-2015 01:26 PM
    It's taking longer than I expected for there to be an easier method of rooting than the current (risky) one at XDA; granted, I haven't rooted a carrier phone for several phone generations, so I guess it's gotten harder lately. I'm still waiting for another method to be released...if anyone is even working on it anymore? Does anyone know? Or is this method at XDA (which seems to produce a green blob on camera photos afterwards, I might add) the only thing we'll likely see for this device?
    Doesn't seem like there is much action toward an alternate method. I think someone used the posted exploit and made a 1 click root out of it but it had to be taken off XDA because it used the devs instructions which was forbidden. There was another dev out of Korea I think that is working on root but his thread slowed to basically nothing after the current method was released. I think he was using the same exploit so I imagine the steps would be the same.

It's not that hard really to gain root. Just have to follow directions to the letter and make sure all the commands are entered correctly. Seems to be quite a bit of user error with this method though. I think that's because people just jump in and don't want to take the time to really know what they are doing to their phone. They just want it to work. To much instant gratification.
    Jonneh likes this.
    08-17-2015 01:46 PM
    So if I get it unlocked me next issue is the 10b. I don't know which one I need, 10c? 10d? Whats the newest and best? And I guess were talking about firmware?
    08-17-2015 04:19 PM
    So if I get it unlocked me next issue is the 10b. I don't know which one I need, 10c? 10d? Whats the newest and best? And I guess were talking about firmware?
    Yeah, those are firmware but they don't matter because you don't need to root that way.

Unlock the bootloader, fastboot TWRP, flash SuperSu which will give you root.

Check out the TWRP thread on XDA for the G4.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3125859

And this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3128241
    08-17-2015 04:26 PM
    I heard that a lot of people, after unlocking / rooting, they end up getting issues with their phones. Such as touch screen issues, random and constant restarts, etc. If this is the case, not sure I'd like to do it.

What's the reasoning behind updating the firmware if it's not too important? Does it need to be updated before unlocking or flashing TWRP / Super?

The one link you posted shows how to unlock for EU, I don't know what version I have, it's the H815, but does that mean I have EU version or maybe another one? I did notice Chinese on the default keyboard as an option, but it still had the main keyboard in English.

Should I follow the link you posted or ::: LG Developer :::

Also, on my VS986 I tried the Low Effort Root but it got stuck on 90%, should I try that again since I now have the H815? Should I be unlocked before I try it?
    08-17-2015 08:32 PM
    You definitely need to know which 815 you have. I honestly don't know because I haven't researched that model very much.

If you have the correct 815 that can have the boot loader unlocked, you don't need to do Low Effort Root. You can use LG Developer site to unlock the boot loader, use fastboot to flash TWRP, then flash SuperSu in TWRP to get root. That's why I linked those 2 threads.
    08-17-2015 08:44 PM
    How do I find out EXACTLY what model I have?
    08-17-2015 08:54 PM
    It does say 'Made In Korea' on the box.. so..?

Also, is there a way to just re-install Android 5.1? Like a FRESH install, so my phone would have JUST the OS?
    08-17-2015 09:59 PM
    Doesn't seem like there is much action toward an alternate method. I think someone used the posted exploit and made a 1 click root out of it but it had to be taken off XDA because it used the devs instructions which was forbidden. There was another dev out of Korea I think that is working on root but his thread slowed to basically nothing after the current method was released. I think he was using the same exploit so I imagine the steps would be the same.

It's not that hard really to gain root. Just have to follow directions to the letter and make sure all the commands are entered correctly. Seems to be quite a bit of user error with this method though. I think that's because people just jump in and don't want to take the time to really know what they are doing to their phone. They just want it to work. To much instant gratification.
    Thanks for the info! Wasn't aware of much of that.

Yeah, I'm fairly good at following directions since I tend to re-read things several times just naturally anyway, and I've rooted a carrier phone with a difficult root method before (it was just several years ago), but that green blob issue on photos is pretty hideous. It's keeping me away for the time being, and I was just hoping someone,somewhere was working on a simpler method entirely.

-Posted via the Android Central App on my G4-
    08-18-2015 12:29 AM
    Thanks for the info! Wasn't aware of much of that.

Yeah, I'm fairly good at following directions since I tend to re-read things several times just naturally anyway, and I've rooted a carrier phone with a difficult root method before (it was just several years ago), but that green blob issue on photos is pretty hideous. It's keeping me away for the time being, and I was just hoping someone,somewhere was working on a simpler method entirely.

-Posted via the Android Central App on my G4-
    Looks like the dev from Korea is still active in his thread so maybe he will post something soon that will be different. Time will tell I guess.

I haven't taken the root plunge yet mainly because I'm on Sprint and there isn't a KDZ yet so if something goes wrong, I'm pretty much toast. And my phone is way too good without root to not have a way to save it.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    08-18-2015 07:54 AM
    How do I find out EXACTLY what model I have?
    What does Settings-general-about phone-hardware info-model say?
    08-18-2015 07:56 AM
    It does say 'Made In Korea' on the box.. so..?

Also, is there a way to just re-install Android 5.1? Like a FRESH install, so my phone would have JUST the OS?
    Are you talking about stock Android like a nexus device would have? If so, not until a ROM is created like that.

But to flash a ROM, the boot loader needs to be unlocked.
    08-18-2015 07:59 AM
    What does Settings-general-about phone-hardware info-model say?
    LG-H815.

I gave LG my IMEI and they said it's registered in Hong Kong, but all it says is it's the LG-H815, nothing more. So I'm not sure why there were Chinese keyboard options. As far as I know, it's the LG-H815, regular, made in Korea and registered in Hong Kong. So treat it as a standard LG-H815?

Are you talking about stock Android like a nexus device would have? If so, not until a ROM is created like that.

But to flash a ROM, the boot loader needs to be unlocked.
    Like when I get a PC with Windows 7, I reinstall it so I have JUST the OS and no bloatware, etc. So is there a solid, up to date, Android 5.1 I can re-install once I unlock the phone?

Also where can I get the latest firmware file for my LG-H815?

And I guess I can continue with http://developer.lge.com/resource/mo...yTypeCode=ANRS?

The following devices will support unlocking the bootloader:
    • G4 (H815) for the EU open market
    Mine fits under this category, right? lol..
    08-18-2015 11:55 AM
    LG-H815.

I gave LG my IMEI and they said it's registered in Hong Kong, but all it says is it's the LG-H815, nothing more. So I'm not sure why there were Chinese keyboard options. As far as I know, it's the LG-H815, regular, made in Korea and registered in Hong Kong. So treat it as a standard LG-H815?

Like when I get a PC with Windows 7, I reinstall it so I have JUST the OS and no bloatware, etc. So is there a solid, up to date, Android 5.1 I can re-install once I unlock the phone?

Also where can I get the latest firmware file for my LG-H815?

And I guess I can continue with http://developer.lge.com/resource/mo...yTypeCode=ANRS?

Mine fits under this category, right? lol..
    I THINK if you start the unlock process on the LG site and the IMEI and whatever other info they ask for matches up on the database, it will give you the unlock.bin file. If it doesn't match up in the database as being the correct model of phone, it will tell you its not a supported model.

Once you unlock and root, you can uninstall all bloat.

I think the only ROM right now is stock rooted, not sure if any debloat was done to it.
    08-18-2015 12:42 PM
    I'll work on unlocking it. Then I guess I need to learn to change the firmware and flashing.
    08-18-2015 12:49 PM
    I'll work on unlocking it. Then I guess I need to learn to change the firmware and flashing.
    Once it's unlocked you will need to fastboot TWRP if you want to flash SuperSu, ROM, kernel, etc.
    08-18-2015 12:54 PM
    Once unlocked and rooted, will I still be able to do a Factory Reset?

On the 'adb reboot bootloader' command it says in CMD, 'error: device 'null' not found'.

I've tried it many times. I can clearly see it as G4 in My Computer, I can go into it and see the folders on the internal memory.

http://i.imgur.com/fZ4t6Rj.png
    http://imgur.com/5UBg6dB

I downloaded installer_r24.3.4-windows.exe from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#Other

I installed the SDK Manger and installed the Google USB Drive and the Platform Tools, got the 3 files, did the cmd as you see in my image...

I never had to installed the G4 drivers or anything, it just installed it when I plugged it in and always worked. On the box it also says SEA, does that mean it can't be unlocked by the LG site way? I heard SEA can't be unlocked??

So...?
    08-18-2015 02:07 PM
    Still getting the null error, but doing adb devices in CMD I get this.

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\tools>adb devices
    List of devices attached

Then it lists 2 empty lines, its not seeing the phone or something, not sure what to do.
    08-19-2015 06:41 AM
    I opened CMD and did"

adb kill-server
    adb start-server

Plugged it in and did the adb devices and got this:

C:\Users\Owner>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    LGH81567593392 device

Guess I'll try the next step in unlocked when I wake up. Any reason it has all those numbers after H815?
    08-19-2015 07:49 AM
29 12