Why does MMS suck?

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Why does MMS suck!

So I've been a longtime iPhone user and have had the LG G4 since launch and love it to death! Only thing that's driving me nuts is picture and video sharing via MMS. I understand that MMS has its restrictions but is there an hint at android working on some sort of iMessage competitor or is it not possible on android. I'm currently using google messenger.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why does MMS suck!

So I've been a longtime iPhone user and have had the LG G4 since launch and love it to death! Only thing that's driving me nuts is picture and video sharing via MMS. I understand that MMS has its restrictions but is there an hint at android working on some sort of iMessage competitor or is it not possible on android. I'm currently using google messenger.

I don't think Google wants to take control of your number in a way the iMessage does.

Your alternatives right now are other messaging platforms, Hangouts (non-SMS/MMS), WhatsApp, Viber, etc. The problem will be getting your circle of contacts into those apps as well.

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Yea that's the answer i wasn't hoping for but knew i would get. It's a real shame. I just had a baby so sending HQ video clips to my family in other states (mainly older folks not savvy enough to download apps) would be nice.

vrandroid

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site

I too am a recent convert from apple to android and i'm seeing the HUGE advantage that apple users have with imessage. I'm quite disappointed and surprised there is no close equivalent app yet. Maybe i don't have my setting correct yet or haven't found the right app.

jkayakj

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

One way which I've been using to share higher quality images and videos is by using another app to upload it ( Google Photos or Dropbox etc set to auto upload the pic/video right after its taken) and then sharing a link via text for them to view in a browser or download.

Posted via the Android Central App

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site

One way which I've been using to share higher quality images and videos is by using another app to upload it ( Google Photos or Dropbox etc set to auto upload the pic/video right after its taken) and then sharing a link via text for them to view in a browser or download.

Posted via the Android Central App

That's what I do and Dropbox with its auto photo upload works well.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Yea that's the answer i wasn't hoping for but knew i would get. It's a real shame. I just had a baby so sending HQ video clips to my family in other states (mainly older folks not savvy enough to download apps) would be nice.

Congrats on the baby! I was in the same boat and It takes longer, but I've been uploading my short videos to YouTube and texting/emailing the unlisted link to the video to my family. Or have them subscribe to your YouTube channel and tell them when the video is uploaded.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Use textra. Best messaging app I'm.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

They (we) will still run into the same issue - the inability to quickly share videos with one or two steps. Now we have to take several steps to upload to a site, then provide a URI to someone (many of which have no idea what to do with the URI's once they're in them, etc.).

Apple does have the best messaging app in iMessage, and I do miss it.

icstars989

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I use Telegram and absolutely love it, I know its not a first party, baked in app but It's available on just about every platform - even pc and mac. I do love iMessages but even toward the end of my iOS experience I was using Telegram.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

It's easy for Apple to have a great messaging tool with imessage because it's a closed ecosystem and it only has to work on 15 or so different devices. No thanks.

If I want to share a video or a picture in full resolution, I just send a link to my one drive. If you have a smart phone and check email on it, then you can can click a link to watch a video.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

It's easy for Apple to have a great messaging tool with imessage because it's a closed ecosystem and it only has to work on 15 or so different devices. No thanks.

If I want to share a video or a picture in full resolution, I just send a link to my one drive. If you have a smart phone and check email on it, then you can can click a link to watch a video.

What about your less technically inclined family members? If they're close, you can setup their phone how you want it, so you can do such things, but if they're farther distances away it's extremely difficult to tell them what to download, how to use it, etc. Also, if they're not on Android (because the iPhone is far more user friendly for the average person), things get more complicated when you're trying to explain how to use things.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

What about your less technically inclined family members? If they're close, you can setup their phone how you want it, so you can do such things, but if they're farther distances away it's extremely difficult to tell them what to download, how to use it, etc. Also, if they're not on Android (because the iPhone is far more user friendly for the average person), things get more complicated when you're trying to explain how to use things.

What degree of less technically inclined? When I send a One Drive link, clicking the link opens a web browser and takes the person straight to the picture or video. It can't get much simpler than that.

vrandroid

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site

I miss iMessage too. Didn't know how good i had it until came to android.
How good is telegraph? I've never heard of it. Can it handle group messages with multiple iphone users?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz