LG G4 and the Samsung S6

Lantazd

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
So I have an S6 and i HATE it. The battery life is awful and the user experience in general hasn't been enjoyable due to poor reception and just never clicking with the phone's software since I got it in April. I often want to throw the S6 across the room. The only thing I like is the camera.

I'm confused by what I'm reading all over. Verizon's site makes it look like the S6 has the better battery but other places I'm reading the G4 does. I'm tired of charging 2x a day or using a clunky mophie power pack for the s6. i know its a fast charge but still its a pain in the ....

Is the G4's battery & experience better than the S6? The 2nd battery option is pretty tempting but then again i don't want to have to change batteries 2x a day. I once had a G2 and loved it. Then I got the Droid Turbo which has an amazing battery & jumped from that to the S6. I'm confused as to where I should go. Back to Motorola which was nothing wonderful except for the battery or is the G4 where to go?

FYI...I mainly check twitter, facebook, instagram, take pics, text. I'm not talking on the phone for hours or streaming music/movies or even gaming.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance. :-*

Last edited by a moderator:

spydersilk

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the s6 for about a week. I was not happy with the battery life at all. I took it back and swap it out for the LG g4. The battery life is better, but it's not fantastic by any means. I get three to three and a half hours of screen on time. It has quick charging which is a plus and if you have the spare battery and charging cradle, it definitely helps. Changing out the battery isn't a big deal at least for me. Takes all of 10 seconds. & I have 100 percent back on my battery instantly. Overall the phone is great. The camera is fantastic, the speaker, even though it's on the back, is loud and sounds pretty good.

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The G4 has better battery standby time according to my experience.

The S6 lasts longer in these tests because those are benchmarks, and they don't accurately reflect true real-world use.

I consistently get over 4.5 hours of SOT and after my college session, I always come back home with 35% remaining.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The G4 has better battery standby time according to my experience.

The S6 lasts longer in these tests because those are benchmarks, and they don't accurately reflect true real-world use.

I consistently get over 4.5 hours of SOT and after my college session, I always come back home with 35% remaining.

Agree. My s6 was limping by mid day. With the same use, I have at least 20-30% when I arrive home around 5. I'm a very heavy user though

Posted via the Android Central App

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
But the S6 double click home button to launch camera is really fast compared to G4. Not sure is it possible for G4 to be as fast through software update.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
But the S6 double click home button to launch camera is really fast compared to G4. Not sure is it possible for G4 to be as fast through software update.

I use Home2 to map the home button to launch the camera in exactly the same way as the S6 when I double-tap it.

I can tell you, it's just-as-fast that way.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
chyeo1979, I'm assuming you mean the speed of actually launching the camera, with using the double-press of Vol - on the G4.

I must confess I don't quite understand why launching the camera takes "so long" on phones. Even the key shortcut to turn on the flashlight takes a second or two. Presumably because, again, it involves activating the camera, to use the "flash".

But there must be a good reason, otherwise every phone's camera would launch instantly.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
chyeo1979, I'm assuming you mean the speed of actually launching the camera, with using the double-press of Vol - on the G4.

I must confess I don't quite understand why launching the camera takes "so long" on phones. Even the key shortcut to turn on the flashlight takes a second or two. Presumably because, again, it involves activating the camera, to use the "flash".

But there must be a good reason, otherwise every phone's camera would launch instantly.

yes, but S6/Note5's double press home button is really almost instantaneous, fastest way to launch a camera. Also it works whether the phone is asleep or on any screen while G4's only work when the phone is asleep.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I have an S6 and i HATE it. The battery life is awful and the user experience in general hasn't been enjoyable due to poor reception and just never clicking with the phone's software since I got it in April. I often want to throw the S6 across the room. The only thing I like is the camera.

I'm confused by what I'm reading all over. Verizon's site makes it look like the S6 has the better battery but other places I'm reading the G4 does. I'm tired of charging 2x a day or using a clunky mophie power pack for the s6. i know its a fast charge but still its a pain in the ....

Is the G4's battery & experience better than the S6? The 2nd battery option is pretty tempting but then again i don't want to have to change batteries 2x a day. I once had a G2 and loved it. Then I got the Droid Turbo which has an amazing battery & jumped from that to the S6. I'm confused as to where I should go. Back to Motorola which was nothing wonderful except for the battery or is the G4 where to go?

FYI...I mainly check twitter, facebook, instagram, take pics, text. I'm not talking on the phone for hours or streaming music/movies or even gaming.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance. :-*

I just shake my head when people complain about the S6 battery life. Too many folks bought in to the "more efficient power use" BS, I guess. I was pointing out that the battery would suck long before the thing was even released. I'm not trying to scold you or say "I told ya so" but more to point out that common sense often works better than marketing jargon in reading between the lines.

I haven't used an S6, but I also came from a Turbo to the G4. I knew I was giving up battery life for sure, but the camera difference and the feeling Moto wasn't treating me well as a customer (over several examples) made me bolt. I have not been disappointed at all with the G4's battery life.

I had 1 d battery life and more than 8 h screen on time with the Turbo at the time I gave it up (GSam data for around 7 months or so). Since July 8th, when I reset my GSam data on the G4, I have 20+ hours of battery life, with 6+ hours of SoT as an average.

The first caveat is that it took me longer than usual to wrestle the thing in to compliance where maximizing battery goes. It took more trial and error than usual. Ultimately, it was one app I had backed up and restored with LG Backup that was the last significant glitch I had to track down. All told, it took about 3 weeks to figure it all out. That's when I reset the GSam stats. You have the advantage here of all of our combined experiences at this point. It's a great group of helpful G4 owners, and we've learned a lot together. Should make your experience easier.

Another caveat is that the G4's camera, not surprisingly, is a battery hog to the extreme. Cellular phone cameras always hog battery, but this one gobbles it noticeably faster than any other phone I've had. That isn't a deal breaker, mind, you. It's just that you should expect widely variable battery life each day depending on how much you use the camera each day. When I use it a good deal, I get nowhere near the 20+ hours life with 6+ hours SoT that is my overall average.

Good luck with your decision. My suggestion is that you go for it. I am not at all disappointed that I got a G4.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Not sure about the answer to your question (I assume it is "yes"), but I have the canera shortcut on my lock screen. It's the only shortcut I put there. That's not as convenient for all cirrcumstances obviously, but maybe something that helps you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol