Is there a way to change the size of a picture in camera?

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe that I can't find such a setting. Did they hide it? I fear it does not exist.

I've never really felt a need for so much resolution for casual pictures. I can't always easily resize to send in email and I have no need or desire to take up so much storage.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Changing the mega pixels will change the pic size. It should have an option for that

Posted via the Android Central App

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
It does not have that option, unfortunately. Why, is a mystery to me.

You can change the aspect ratio of the picture, which will somewhat change the resolution somewhat, but not a lot.

Sorry. It is a strange oversight, IMO.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah not a feature of the camera but there are image reducer apps available. Not ideal to use another app but most seem like they would be pretty quick to do the job.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe that I can't find such a setting. Did they hide it? I fear it does not exist.

I've never really felt a need for so much resolution for casual pictures. I can't always easily resize to send in email and I have no need or desire to take up so much storage.

The Camera FV5 paid app gives you a choice of 25 settings all the way down to 0.1 mp. Might be your only choice for permanent settings.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

Kr0m

May 24, 2011
Visit site
This has been a beef of mine since switchin to m8 and now the g4... The pics that I take are either shared via email or social media, so there's 0 need for them to be 11mb in size. Luckily I snagged avg image shrinker while it was available... I see it's discontinued now (not sure why, it works great). There's others resizers out there and as the above mentioned, there's a few decent camera apps that will take lower resolutions from the start. It's just a matter of finding one you like :x

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

iresq

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The Camera FV5 paid app gives you a choice of 25 settings all the way down to 0.1 mp. Might be your only choice for permanent settings.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App
Actually the free version caps you to a small picture size. I use this for work photos that will never be printed or otherwise manipulated.

G4

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
QuickPic has the ability to change the resolution; when editing a photo, .... )

I love QuickPic. Been using it for years. My version doesn't have that, but I see that my version is quite old. (I'm a slow-or-never updater... been bitten too many times with de-improvements. I am surprised restoring to a new phone did not give me the latest version of the app. )

Although, I would prefer that it could do the resizing in a multi-select mode. "editing a photo" implies one-by-one. That could quickly be a pain. Typically I want to resize in batch. On the desktop I use MS Picture Manager to do that. Wonky old app, but the only one I ever found that could do that so easily. And of course MS got rid of it in newer Windows.

The more I think about it, I think a camera app to adjust the resolution from the get-go is best. Although FV5 looks good it is probably overkill for my needs. I like scene modes and it does not have them. I'm not a camera-phile in the least. This should be intresting. I'm still learning the existing camera that came with the phone.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I love QuickPic. Been using it for years. My version doesn't have that, but I see that my version is quite old. (I'm a slow-or-never updater... been bitten too many times with de-improvements. I am surprised restoring to a new phone did not give me the latest version of the app. )

Although, I would prefer that it could do the resizing in a multi-select mode. "editing a photo" implies one-by-one. That could quickly be a pain. Typically I want to resize in batch. On the desktop I use MS Picture Manager to do that. Wonky old app, but the only one I ever found that could do that so easily. And of course MS got rid of it in newer Windows.

The more I think about it, I think a camera app to adjust the resolution from the get-go is best. Although FV5 looks good it is probably overkill for my needs. I like scene modes and it does not have them. I'm not a camera-phile in the least. This should be intresting. I'm still learning the existing camera that came with the phone.

There are quite a few image reducer apps in the play store that will do batches.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

With root now available, I was doing some reading about xposed and how you can add video resolution/fps settings... I'm wondering if you can add photo resolution settings? http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=568698

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks but I'm not a rooter. (except for plants... big horticulturalist :)

I've been browszing resizing apps and nothing jumped out as great. Looking closely at Open Camera. So far I think that is the way I will go. I am a little reluctant to switch camera apps when I barely know how good the one is that came with the phone. I would hate to be downgrading in quality. I guess I ought to go learn more about the built-in camera before I ditch it. (although I came from htc rezound with a crappy crappy camera, so I'm sure anything is an improvement)

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks but I'm not a rooter. (except for plants... big horticulturalist :)

I've been browszing resizing apps and nothing jumped out as great. Looking closely at Open Camera. So far I think that is the way I will go. I am a little reluctant to switch camera apps when I barely know how good the one is that came with the phone. I would hate to be downgrading in quality. I guess I ought to go learn more about the built-in camera before I ditch it. (although I came from htc rezound with a crappy crappy camera, so I'm sure anything is an improvement)

Re: rooting... I'm the same way. I love my phone and really don't want to f it up ;)

For an app, how about this one? https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...uared_studio.resizemypix&hl=en&token=PCHk32Gw I just search for "bulk resizing" in the play store. I haven't tried it out, but it looks like it will do the job and the ratings/reviews are OK.

EDIT: I just tried out that app and it works great! It even stores the photos on my SD card. I then use QuickPic to look at the photos. The one tip I have is that at the end of the initial tip slides, there's a "don't show this again" thingy... make sure you do that or you'll have to see the annoying tips every time!

For a camera app, I've tried 4 different ones and always come back to the LG app.

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for looking! Yes, it does look good. I will try it out. I don't like that it has to run at startup and I did see complaint of too many ads. I may let that go if I like it enough.

bluemoongreg

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Google Camera app is free & resolution is adjustable from the stock 16mp to as low as 1.9mp.
I keep both that & the stock LG camera app onboard. Use the stock app at full resolution for all personal photos, but the Google app at 1.9mp for work photos. Most of those photos go into reports (MS Word, then converted to PDF), & the lower resolution keeps file size from getting out of hand in large reports.
If using auto mode (& I usually do), I can't tell a difference in quality when viewed on the 5.5" screen of the G4. If I blow them up to fit the ~12" screen of my SP3, a difference can be discerned but it's much less severe than I would have guessed.

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I realized that re-sizing after the shoot absolutely won't work for me. all my pics are automatically and immediately uploaded to Dropbox. That will eat up space as well as on my phone. I tend to keep them on dropbox and pick and choose good ones to keep on PC or elsewhere as needed and then clean up dropbox yearly (in theory anyhow :) )

I looked at Google camera but the permissions required really annoyed me. I just want a camera, not an entire platform!!! Yikes. So I am trying Open Camera. I like the previous idea that I can have 2 cameras around and use the full size one only when warranted.

I also compared two similar pictures taken with different resolutions (old phone and new phone -- about 1700KB vs. 5500KB). My photo software says the 1700KB pic is 21"x45". The 5500KB picture claims to be 43"x78". They both looked fine to me on my PC at 1:1. If I wanted to zoom in and crop a small detail, I would still end up with a good 8x10. I can't imagine needing more.

Last edited:

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I just remembered another camera feature that the LG camera was missing that Open Camera does have -- a slider for digital zoom. Goodbye LG camera!!

I don't think the LG camera had scene modes either. Open Camera has scene modes. well, they may not actually be scenes... they seem to be lighting related... cloudy, flourescent, daylight, etc... which is really the key issue when needing an auto assist. It will depend on how well it does it, but I think I will be a happy camper without the LG camera.

The UI for LG camera didn't really grab me either. The Open Camera UI feels more untuititve to me.

I will have to explore the quality issue further. Hard to know by 2 pictures of my doggie, but will see.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I just remembered another camera feature that the LG camera was missing that Open Camera does have -- a slider for digital zoom. Goodbye LG camera!!
Digital zoom is just cropping inside the camera, same results as if you crop in a photo editor afterwards. However, it does come in handy if you are doing auto-uploads to somewhere.

I don't think the LG camera had scene modes either. Open Camera has scene modes. well, they may not actually be scenes... they seem to be lighting related... cloudy, flourescent, daylight, etc... which is really the key issue when needing an auto assist. It will depend on how well it does it, but I think I will be a happy camper without the LG camera.
Correct, those are not "scenes". They are white-balance presets. They can come in handy when auto-WB is not getting the job done.

Scene modes are more like portrait, macro, sports, landscape, etc.

I do need to explore the G4 camera more, for the times I don't have a DSLR with me.

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Digital zoom is just cropping inside the camera, same results as if you crop in a photo editor afterwards. However, it does come in handy if you are doing auto-uploads to somewhere .

Yeah, the less editing the better. Typically I use it if the subject is just too far away and I know I don't need the surrounding stuff. So in that case, I would want the higher resolution if there's internal cropping going on? I should experiment with that to see what I end up with.

Correct, those are not "scenes". They are white-balance presets. They can come in handy when auto-WB is not getting the job done. Scene modes are more like portrait, macro, sports, landscape, etc.

Ah yes, I remember them from real cameras. So those are non-Auto with pre-configured manual settings? I did see a macro setting, but that's all.

I keep playing with the incredible amount of settings and loving it more. It has an option to pause the picture just taken. I got used to that in my old camera-phone and missed it on this one. I can also set compression. I am currently experimenting to find the right balance of image size/file size/quality.

However, as with everything I found a big downside. The LG4 phone has a wonderful feature to double-click the down-volume button to immediately open the camera from a locked screen. Oh well...

Kr0m

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this thread got me looking into camera apps again and I installed open camera tonight and have been messing around with it and so far it's what I want.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer