What weather app are you using?

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Can I just pipe in and say to all those that are unhappy with battery life on their g4... widgets like these are a battery killer.

Have always used 1Weather and widget and do not have a problem at all with battery life. BUT, Mine does not update for 3 hours, unless I manually do it. My battery life is great.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Have always used 1Weather and widget and do not have a problem at all with battery life. BUT, Mine does not update for 3 hours, unless I manually do it. My battery life is great.

Mine too. 1Weather doesn't even show up on the list when looking at battery stats. According to GSam, since I came off my charger 6 hours ago it's used 0.1% of my battery and CPU usage is a whopping 15 seconds (my refresh is set to hourly) :

Attachments

• 1440525048938.jpg
    1440525048938.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

Yes, it depends on the frequency of the synchs.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Just for grins and giggles I just set mine to every 15 minutes (the highest you can go). I'll report back tomorrow at the end if the day to see what the usage is.

I pointed out the battery thing because there are lots of people irate and/or careful about battery, and quite often people have a whole bunch of widgets... not just one.

If you are aware of synch frequencies, it shouldn't be a problem.

When you have 4 or 5 widgets (news... quite often multiple news widgets, email, weather) and they're synching and looking for location... one way to improve battery is to nuke those suckers.

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Can I just pipe in and say to all those that are unhappy with battery life on their g4... widgets like these are a battery killer.

I know this and agree. But for me a good weather widget is a must as I work outdoors daily and in a different locale everyday, and am an avid runner. So weather at a glance is important enough to me to take the hit.

That said I've made it known in the battery life discussions I'm one that has no issues managing my phone myself by turning on and off syncs, data, wifi, location etc. on and off as needed.

I'm going on 11 hours unplugged and am at 93%.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I pointed out the battery thing because there are lots of people irate and/or careful about battery, and quite often people have a whole bunch of widgets... not just one.

If you are aware of synch frequencies, it shouldn't be a problem.

When you have 4 or 5 widgets (news... quite often multiple news widgets, email, weather) and they're synching and looking for location... one way to improve battery is to nuke those suckers.

Yeah, it is usually the social media ones that kill your battery. Anything that downloads quite a bit of data or is constantly syncing. I avoid most widgets, but weather is one I live with whatever it "costs".

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My battery life improved noticeably after I turned off location/follow me services and typed in my location (city/state). For some reason, location services kill this phones battery. I actually think it's how Google is handling location services in 5.1 more than it being related to this specific phone.

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
My battery life improved noticeably after I turned off location/follow me services and typed in my location (city/state). For some reason, location services kill this phones battery. I actually think it's how Google is handling location services in 5.1 more than it being related to this specific phone.

Yup if you look in location settings Google play services or Google app will always be top of the location requests list.

Posted via the Android Central App

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm a fan of Transparent Clock and Weather. Very nice widgets, lots of customization and decent weather app. 1Weather is nice too. I didn't care much for Yahoo weather mainly due to limited widget options. Maybe it's better now.

That said, since getting my G4 I've been using the stock smart widget because it's new and shiny and I kind of like the smart cards. I'm sure I'll get bored with it eventually though and move to my standard Nova Launcher and a 3rd party weather/clock widget.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Yahoo Weather app and especially their corresponding widget(s).
dd2aaad01dd8ada7aad91bed2996f044.jpg

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Currently using The Weather Channel app. I like that their forecasts are accurate and up-to-date. Their widgets are ugly unfortunately.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I used to be a huge WeatherBug fan...until their last major UI update. Now the phone app does not rotate into landscape. Pluss they now have a LOT of wasted space on their main screen.

I really like 1Weather but have the same problem - it only works in portrait mode, no landscape. 😢

Hmm, I've never had any issues with WeatherBug; are you using regular or Elite? I've used Elite for a good four years now, and swear by it.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I've never had any issues with WeatherBug; are you using regular or Elite? I've used Elite for a good four years now, and swear by it.

Elite is no longer available or being updated (at one point I still had that APK, but no longer do). They only offer the new "free" version and now that they've updated the UI it no longer rotates on phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670