LG Warranty and Customer Service Problems

mcirishman

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Trying to return my G4 under warranty 2 months into the contract for the repeated freezing/restart problem, but LG is refusing to replace. Went through 2 hard factory resets, new SD card, still having issues including the camera now not working.

Has anyone had luck getting the phone replaced under warranty and how did you get LG to cooperate?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry that you're having trouble with the phone as well as with LG...this is why I only buy phones from carriers. I can't speak for them all, but Verizon has always been very accommodating when it comes to exchanging phones under the warranty period. I would hate to have to deal directly with a manufacturer. If you did get it from a carrier, you should try to go through them.

As to your problems with the phone, if you have an SD card installed in it, you should try removing the card and see how it runs without it for a day or so. I've read a couple of post where faulty cards caused the exact problems you describe (even when the card is brand new).

maneater1983

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
I will return my LG G4 in days to come. I will write here how it goes. I am having trouble with the phone tapping on the screen by itself. Tried hard reset 2 times now and it is only running preinstalled apps. But that didnt work. :'(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 122

mcirishman

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry that you're having trouble with the phone as well as with LG...this is why I only buy phones from carriers. I can't speak for them all, but Verizon has always been very accommodating when it comes to exchanging phones under the warranty period. I would hate to have to deal directly with a manufacturer. If you did get it from a carrier, you should try to go through them.

As to your problems with the phone, if you have an SD card installed in it, you should try removing the card and see how it runs without it for a day or so. I've read a couple of post where faulty cards caused the exact problems you describe (even when the card is brand new).
I am actually going through the manufacturer because the retailer(Sprint) is telling me they won't help me since I did not buy insurance with the phone.

What are they using as a justification for refusal?

What are they suggesting as an alternative to replacement?
It is not their policy under warranty to replace the phone at this point. They said send it in for repair and if it warrants replacement, then they will. Meanwhile I will be without a phone for 2 weeks since Sprint is not offering a loaner.

Read my posts from some of the other threads. I think I qualify for a replacement.

Last edited:

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I am actually going through the manufacturer because the retailer(Sprint) is telling me they won't help me since I did not buy insurance with the phone.

It is not their policy under warranty to replace the phone at this point. They said send it in for repair and if it warrants replacement, then they will. Meanwhile I will be without a phone for 2 weeks since Sprint is not offering a loaner.

Please understand that I'm sympathetic and not trying to be an ***, but what you are seeing is our (all consumers) fault. We grind the manufacturers and carriers to get lower prices, then are not happy when we can't get replacements or loaners and get crappy service.

I've read that LG makes less than $2 on every phone sold, so if true, or anywhere close to it, you can see the problem. When I broke the power connector on my G2, the best that TMobile could do for me was to give me the LG service number. I will tell you: they were terrific and inexpensive on the repair, but you are correct, about two weeks. Thankfully, I have other phones that I just moved the SIM card into and was fine.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I bought mine at Best Buy and bought their protection plan - I've already sent in for a replacement, just waiting for the backorder to be filled and it shipped. They replace no questions asked really. Just put in the issue you're having and the condition of the phone and wait for the new one to get to you. Copy everything over and send your old one back in.

Hopefully the new one doesn't have the same issues.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Read my posts from some of the other threads. I think I qualify for a replacement.

I'm not pimping Verizon (nor am I an employee), but I've never had a phone from them that they would not take care of (in the first 12 months), including one replacement for my G4. They mail you a replacement phone, you pop your existing SIM card into it, and mail the defective device back in the box they send you. It's painless, and you're never out a phone. I know they charge more than some carriers (though their plan prices have come down), but the customer service and network coverage are worth it to me (god, I sound like a disgusting commercial...sorry).

mcirishman

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Please understand that I'm sympathetic and not trying to be an ***, but what you are seeing is our (all consumers) fault. We grind the manufacturers and carriers to get lower prices, then are not happy when we can't get replacements or loaners and get crappy service.

I've read that LG makes less than $2 on every phone sold, so if true, or anywhere close to it, you can see the problem. When I broke the power connector on my G2, the best that TMobile could do for me was to give me the LG service number. I will tell you: they were terrific and inexpensive on the repair, but you are correct, about two weeks. Thankfully, I have other phones that I just moved the SIM card into and was fine.
Not to insult you, but....hmmm....simply going to say that I disagree with your premise, which pretty much invalidates your comment (just to me). I have heard that the carriers make money hand over fist, especially with the egregious contracts they make us sign. And I serious doubt the manufacturers are only making $2 per phone. $2 is probably closer to the cost of making the phone than what they actually charge for the phone.

mcirishman

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm not pimping Verizon (nor am I an employee), but I've never had a phone from them that they would not take care of (in the first 12 months), including one replacement for my G4. They mail you a replacement phone, you pop your existing SIM card into it, and mail the defective device back in the box they send you. It's painless, and you're never out a phone. I know they charge more than some carriers (though their plan prices have come down), but the customer service and network coverage are worth it to me (god, I sound like a disgusting commercial...sorry).

Also, are you buying the G4 or leasing it?

I had the same experience with AT&T(even though I grew to hate them for other things). I had problems with a phone and they followed the same process. This total lack of accountability by either company is new to me.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Also, are you buying the G4 or leasing it?

I had the same experience with AT&T(even though I grew to hate them for other things). I had problems with a phone and they followed the same process. This total lack of accountability by either company is new to me.

With my G4, I bought it off contract from them, with all my other phones, I bought them on a 2 year contract, which I guess you would call, subsidized. I know they are getting away from 2 year contracts now (trying to get more competitive), so you either buy the phone up front, or they finance it, I think for 2 years, in monthly installments added to your bill.

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I just replaced mine through Verizon via chat on their website. Painless and finally got a G4 that works. Had mine for a little over a month before contacting them

Posted via the Android Central App

mcirishman

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
The company I contract with uses Verizon. I might look into it as a backup plan after I go in to talk to the manager. I just don't see either company's logic, long term anyway. Given the way I have been treated does either company think I will be a long-term customer? I just bought my last LG product and will not go back to Sprint again/get out of the contract asap. Makes no sense.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately sending in for repair is typical, and understandable. I know you've suffered a lot of frustration with your phone, but when it comes to manufacturers how are they to know whether your device is not working due to their defect or something you've done to the phone (liquid or physical damage)? Certainly not saying you have, but if they send you a phone before they can inspect your phone, they just don't know.
For an interesting article on mobile phone warranty process, read this article: http://www.smartmobilephonesolutions.com/content/how-to-file-a-warranty-claim-on-a-mobile-phone

AlwaysSmile

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
At T-Mobile they will gladly replace your phone within the first year even if you don't have insurance, but after the year it boils down if you have insurance which is probably like all other carriers (except Sprint? As far as I read here)

Posted via the Android Central App on My T-Mobile LG G4

mcirishman

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately sending in for repair is typical, and understandable. I know you've suffered a lot of frustration with your phone, but when it comes to manufacturers how are they to know whether your device is not working due to their defect or something you've done to the phone (liquid or physical damage)? Certainly not saying you have, but if they send you a phone before they can inspect your phone, they just don't know.
For an interesting article on mobile phone warranty process, read this article: How to File a Warranty Claim on a Cell Phone | Smart Mobile Phone Solutions
That's all fine and good, but they should have some kind of agreement with the Carrier to provide a loaner. Can you do without your cellphone for 2 weeks? Now I'm going to have to find a cheap phone on craigslist to get by in the interim.

What mobile carrier are you using?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
Shprint

At T-Mobile they will gladly replace your phone within the first year even if you don't have insurance, but after the year it boils down if you have insurance which is probably like all other carriers (except Sprint? As far as I read here)

Posted via the Android Central App on My T-Mobile LG G4
how does this help me again?

Last edited: