11-13-2016 04:24 PM
53 123
tools
    Trying to return my G4 under warranty 2 months into the contract for the repeated freezing/restart problem, but LG is refusing to replace. Went through 2 hard factory resets, new SD card, still having issues including the camera now not working.

Has anyone had luck getting the phone replaced under warranty and how did you get LG to cooperate?
    Mswolfson likes this.
    08-25-2015 01:59 PM
    I'm sorry that you're having trouble with the phone as well as with LG...this is why I only buy phones from carriers. I can't speak for them all, but Verizon has always been very accommodating when it comes to exchanging phones under the warranty period. I would hate to have to deal directly with a manufacturer. If you did get it from a carrier, you should try to go through them.

As to your problems with the phone, if you have an SD card installed in it, you should try removing the card and see how it runs without it for a day or so. I've read a couple of post where faulty cards caused the exact problems you describe (even when the card is brand new).
    08-25-2015 02:54 PM
    ... but LG is refusing to replace
    What are they using as a justification for refusal?

What are they suggesting as an alternative to replacement?
    mcirishman likes this.
    08-25-2015 02:57 PM
    I will return my LG G4 in days to come. I will write here how it goes. I am having trouble with the phone tapping on the screen by itself. Tried hard reset 2 times now and it is only running preinstalled apps. But that didnt work.
    Attached Thumbnails LG Warranty and Customer Service Problems-image.jpg  
    08-25-2015 02:59 PM
    I will return my LG G4 in days to come. I will write here how it goes. I am having trouble with the phone tapping on the screen by itself. Tried hard reset 2 times now and it is only running preinstalled apps. But that didnt work.
    What are all those red dots?
    08-25-2015 03:03 PM
    What are all those red dots?
    I suspect it's the dev tool showing phantom taps.
    08-25-2015 03:08 PM
    I'm sorry that you're having trouble with the phone as well as with LG...this is why I only buy phones from carriers. I can't speak for them all, but Verizon has always been very accommodating when it comes to exchanging phones under the warranty period. I would hate to have to deal directly with a manufacturer. If you did get it from a carrier, you should try to go through them.

As to your problems with the phone, if you have an SD card installed in it, you should try removing the card and see how it runs without it for a day or so. I've read a couple of post where faulty cards caused the exact problems you describe (even when the card is brand new).
    I am actually going through the manufacturer because the retailer(Sprint) is telling me they won't help me since I did not buy insurance with the phone.

What are they using as a justification for refusal?

What are they suggesting as an alternative to replacement?
    It is not their policy under warranty to replace the phone at this point. They said send it in for repair and if it warrants replacement, then they will. Meanwhile I will be without a phone for 2 weeks since Sprint is not offering a loaner.

Read my posts from some of the other threads. I think I qualify for a replacement.
    08-25-2015 03:11 PM
    I am actually going through the manufacturer because the retailer(Sprint) is telling me they won't help me since I did not buy insurance with the phone.

It is not their policy under warranty to replace the phone at this point. They said send it in for repair and if it warrants replacement, then they will. Meanwhile I will be without a phone for 2 weeks since Sprint is not offering a loaner.
    Please understand that I'm sympathetic and not trying to be an ***, but what you are seeing is our (all consumers) fault. We grind the manufacturers and carriers to get lower prices, then are not happy when we can't get replacements or loaners and get crappy service.

I've read that LG makes less than $2 on every phone sold, so if true, or anywhere close to it, you can see the problem. When I broke the power connector on my G2, the best that TMobile could do for me was to give me the LG service number. I will tell you: they were terrific and inexpensive on the repair, but you are correct, about two weeks. Thankfully, I have other phones that I just moved the SIM card into and was fine.
    08-25-2015 03:23 PM
    I bought mine at Best Buy and bought their protection plan - I've already sent in for a replacement, just waiting for the backorder to be filled and it shipped. They replace no questions asked really. Just put in the issue you're having and the condition of the phone and wait for the new one to get to you. Copy everything over and send your old one back in.

Hopefully the new one doesn't have the same issues.
    08-25-2015 03:30 PM

Read my posts from some of the other threads. I think I qualify for a replacement.
    I'm not pimping Verizon (nor am I an employee), but I've never had a phone from them that they would not take care of (in the first 12 months), including one replacement for my G4. They mail you a replacement phone, you pop your existing SIM card into it, and mail the defective device back in the box they send you. It's painless, and you're never out a phone. I know they charge more than some carriers (though their plan prices have come down), but the customer service and network coverage are worth it to me (god, I sound like a disgusting commercial...sorry).
    HaboobZ, Kr0m and TNCattleDog like this.
    08-25-2015 03:31 PM
    Please understand that I'm sympathetic and not trying to be an ***, but what you are seeing is our (all consumers) fault. We grind the manufacturers and carriers to get lower prices, then are not happy when we can't get replacements or loaners and get crappy service.

I've read that LG makes less than $2 on every phone sold, so if true, or anywhere close to it, you can see the problem. When I broke the power connector on my G2, the best that TMobile could do for me was to give me the LG service number. I will tell you: they were terrific and inexpensive on the repair, but you are correct, about two weeks. Thankfully, I have other phones that I just moved the SIM card into and was fine.
    Not to insult you, but....hmmm....simply going to say that I disagree with your premise, which pretty much invalidates your comment (just to me). I have heard that the carriers make money hand over fist, especially with the egregious contracts they make us sign. And I serious doubt the manufacturers are only making $2 per phone. $2 is probably closer to the cost of making the phone than what they actually charge for the phone.
    JohnnyBroccoli likes this.
    08-25-2015 03:31 PM
    I'm not pimping Verizon (nor am I an employee), but I've never had a phone from them that they would not take care of (in the first 12 months), including one replacement for my G4. They mail you a replacement phone, you pop your existing SIM card into it, and mail the defective device back in the box they send you. It's painless, and you're never out a phone. I know they charge more than some carriers (though their plan prices have come down), but the customer service and network coverage are worth it to me (god, I sound like a disgusting commercial...sorry).
    Also, are you buying the G4 or leasing it?

I had the same experience with AT&T(even though I grew to hate them for other things). I had problems with a phone and they followed the same process. This total lack of accountability by either company is new to me.
    08-25-2015 03:34 PM
    I started the Quick Memo+ to prove the random tapping that the phone does. So that is what all the red dots are.. I hate it
    08-25-2015 03:41 PM
    Also, are you buying the G4 or leasing it?

I had the same experience with AT&T(even though I grew to hate them for other things). I had problems with a phone and they followed the same process. This total lack of accountability by either company is new to me.
    With my G4, I bought it off contract from them, with all my other phones, I bought them on a 2 year contract, which I guess you would call, subsidized. I know they are getting away from 2 year contracts now (trying to get more competitive), so you either buy the phone up front, or they finance it, I think for 2 years, in monthly installments added to your bill.
    08-25-2015 03:42 PM
    I agree 100%.
    08-25-2015 04:59 PM
    I just replaced mine through Verizon via chat on their website. Painless and finally got a G4 that works. Had mine for a little over a month before contacting them

Posted via the Android Central App
    tardus likes this.
    08-25-2015 05:20 PM
    The company I contract with uses Verizon. I might look into it as a backup plan after I go in to talk to the manager. I just don't see either company's logic, long term anyway. Given the way I have been treated does either company think I will be a long-term customer? I just bought my last LG product and will not go back to Sprint again/get out of the contract asap. Makes no sense.
    08-25-2015 06:07 PM
    Unfortunately sending in for repair is typical, and understandable. I know you've suffered a lot of frustration with your phone, but when it comes to manufacturers how are they to know whether your device is not working due to their defect or something you've done to the phone (liquid or physical damage)? Certainly not saying you have, but if they send you a phone before they can inspect your phone, they just don't know.
    For an interesting article on mobile phone warranty process, read this article: http://www.smartmobilephonesolutions...a-mobile-phone
    sswitzer likes this.
    08-25-2015 06:18 PM
    At T-Mobile they will gladly replace your phone within the first year even if you don't have insurance, but after the year it boils down if you have insurance which is probably like all other carriers (except Sprint? As far as I read here)

Posted via the Android Central App on My T-Mobile LG G4
    08-25-2015 07:41 PM
    Unfortunately sending in for repair is typical, and understandable. I know you've suffered a lot of frustration with your phone, but when it comes to manufacturers how are they to know whether your device is not working due to their defect or something you've done to the phone (liquid or physical damage)? Certainly not saying you have, but if they send you a phone before they can inspect your phone, they just don't know.
    For an interesting article on mobile phone warranty process, read this article: How to File a Warranty Claim on a Cell Phone | Smart Mobile Phone Solutions
    That's all fine and good, but they should have some kind of agreement with the Carrier to provide a loaner. Can you do without your cellphone for 2 weeks? Now I'm going to have to find a cheap phone on craigslist to get by in the interim.

What mobile carrier are you using?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
    Shprint

At T-Mobile they will gladly replace your phone within the first year even if you don't have insurance, but after the year it boils down if you have insurance which is probably like all other carriers (except Sprint? As far as I read here)

Posted via the Android Central App on My T-Mobile LG G4
    how does this help me again?
    08-25-2015 09:20 PM
    I actually had the same exact problem you did--my phone was freezing and then restarting. I sent in my LG G4 on the 14th. I called LG and the lady on the phone emailed me the free Fedex shipping paper. It arrived at the LG facility in Texas on the 20th and now I am waiting for the return. I called LG today and they told me that it probably wouldn't ship until the end of this week, so the whole process will probably be around 2.5 - 3 weeks. I also have Sprint and was able to have one of the repair shops lend me a crappy phone since I have no other Sprint phone and know no one that has one. Unfortunately, they end up charging something like $75 to get the phone replaced through them which is either an overnight or given to you right there. It may be worth looking into if you need your phone immediately and don't have a replacement phone.

It really sucks and makes me wish that I had insurance or that LG had customer service like Apple. They wouldn't even send me a refurbished phone at the same time that I was returning mine. You would think they could just charge me for a phone and refund me once they receive my phone and inspect it. Some people say that it's what you deserve for not getting insurance. They're the same people that don't realize why Apple is so successful, because they go above and beyond for their customers.
    08-25-2015 09:45 PM
    Oops wrong thread.
    08-26-2015 07:34 AM
    I am also having these issues with my G4. I got it at the end of June from Sprint, didn't have a single issue for an entire month of normal use and testing pretty much every app and setting I would possibly use. I am not a heavy user, I barely play games and my phone is primarily used to take pictures and browse reddit. Towards the end of July (after my 14 day window, of course) I started getting random reboots while I was browsing reddit, or even just while looking in Settings. The only way to get the phone to stop the loop process was to re-seat the battery, and about 75-80% of the time, the phone just repeatedly boot-looped even after turning it back on. I have seen the "optimizing apps" screen a few times, but its not consistent. I have also had crashes while in safe mode.

After managing to factory reset and clear the data cache via Recovery Mode, and remove my SD card, the phone worked completely fine for about a week. I did not install many apps, and I was not using the phone heavily over that week, because I was trying to pinpoint a possible software issue. After that week the reboots started again, so I took my G4 to Sprint and I was able to show the Technician at the store a video of my phone boot-looping from a video I shot with my iPhone 4S, but of course the phone worked 100% fine while in store.

The Tech also took the whole phone apart and found nothing physically wrong with it. He said the issue seemed to be software related and that my best bet was to hold on to the phone and hope for a patch to come out, I was extremely unsatisfied with this answer and wanted them to give me a brand new phone, but they said the only option would be to order a refurbished unit from LG through warranty/TEP insurance. This occurred on August 15th. I took the phone home that night, transferred my service back to my Iphone, and managed to factory reset the G4 again. After 10 days of sitting in airplane mode hooked up to wifi, and an hour of use each night browsing chrome, tweaking settings etc the phone has started to reboot again as of yesterday August 25th. The phone crashed while in the settings menu at a 92% charge. I left the G4 on the table and went to work yesterday, tried plugging the phone in today and the screen turns on and shows that it is at a 3% charge (how did it lose 89% while bricked sitting on my table...?), tried turning it on after a few minutes and it made it to the Sprint screen and then turned off and is completely unresponsive again.

I am taking the phone to the store again this weekend, since the G4 is completely bricked at the moment and I am totally done screwing with it to try to get it working. I have taken extremely good care of this phone (zero drops) and there is not a single physical problem with it, and I think it is completely ridiculous that LG would not stand by their product and replace a clearly defective phone with a new unit. The only reason I have a working cellphone at the moment is because my (almost 5 year old) Iphone 4S still works, even though it only holds a charge for like half a day.

Both LG and Sprint are most definitely losing my business after this debacle if they don't solve my problem soon. I should also add, my girlfriend got a Sprint G4 on the same day as me (we started a family share plan) and has had none of the issues I had. Owning a cell phone should not be a part time job like this has proven to be.....
    mcirishman likes this.
    08-26-2015 05:53 PM
    Evolve thanks for posting your story. It provides a little comfort knowing I'm not suffering through this alone. Doesn't help either of us unfortunately. I received a nice email from a manager type from Sprint...with a non-response email address of course. He was very sorry for my troubles and reccommended a....wait for it.....hard reset. This was after i sent in a trouble ticket email explaining that I had already done this procedure. Twice. So now i am on my third hard reset. Camera came back to life but the three times i have used it it has always given me an error first, saying the cam app could not start. I would have to close it and then it would only open after the second attempt.

I saw a guy selling an Sprint optimus prime(?) for around $40 so I might go that route as a loaner. The thing about Sprint was they really had the best economic deal around by far and their service in the area where i live is actually very good. *sign* . May be stuck with them for a little while sespite the problems. Gives me some hope that most of the G4 owners are having a good experience.
    08-26-2015 10:55 PM
    Is anyone not on Sprint having this issue?
    08-27-2015 08:58 AM
53 123