Nova Launcher Customization

Broth3rz

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
This is going to be my official Nova thread, I didn't know I'd have this many questions.

Anyways, I'm just about done with customizing my phone. I had a few Nova questions.

1. I know you can add icons to the lock screen with the LG launcher, but how does one do this with Nova?
2. I have 2 icons on the lock screen at the moment and I noticed I can't press and hold on the icons and go to edit and change the icon like I can on all other icons when the phone is unlocked, so once I downloaded my icon pack, I wanted to change icons and I did, but how do I change the ones on the lock screen? The camera icon on lock and home screen are different now because of this.
3a. On my PC I have a folder named Documents and inside it has 4 folder, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Movies.. so can I have folders inside a folder with Nova, on the home screen?
3b. Now if I can have folders inside a folder, then lets say one is Pictures / Photos, how can I link the phones directory for Pictures / Photos to that folder so it opens the directory when I open it? I tried using the Nova Activities widget with my file viewer but it's a no go. I rather not have to open a file viewer and just link the directory to the folder.
4. I have a Notifications folder on my phones internal storage, and because of this anything I have in it, shows up in the phones notifications list when selecting a texting sound. The same can be said for the Ringtones folder. Lets say I have a 128GB SD card and I want those folders to be on the SD card instead of the internet memory, will the phone still pick up the sounds even though they are on the SD card now and appear in the list for selection?

So really I'm needing to take my main media folders, documents, pictures, music, place those folders on my SD card instead of the internal storage and link folders to it from the home screen, and of course hope the phone will still pick up the files in those folders when selecting a ringtone and such.

It seems I'm wanting to turn my phone into my PC as much as possible..

Thanks!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Some of these questions aren't related to the launcher.

The lock screen is separate from the launcher. Changing the launcher typically won't change anything in the lock screen unless you change the lockscreen itself.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about the folders within a folder thing, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible.

I don't have Nova Prime on my G4 as I'm perfectly contempt with the stock LG launcher, but I have 3 phones that run Prime, so I'll give those a test and I'll get back to you soon.

Broth3rz

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I guess it doesn't have to be an actual folder, it can be just an icon with a directory attached, then I can change the icon to a folder. So is there a way to tie a directory using the Nova Activities widget, instead of an app.

Broth3rz

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Dont' see it. I can make a folder from there where it shows a folder with apps in it, in the apps drawer. I tried to drag that into a folder on home screen but it won't do it.

Broth3rz

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Guess that takes care for number 3.

So how can I add the ringtones / directory folder onto the home screen? Or does the folder / directory HAVE to be opened by a task manager?

As for the lock screen it just wants to add the original old default icons, can't change them I guess.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You can create a shortcut for a folder or a file using a file explorer. There are many in the Play Store (ES, Solid, Total Commander, etc). The process is similar with most of them. Open the app, find the folder/file, long press on it, tap on the overflow menu (three dots) and select create shortcut/add to home screen.

Broth3rz

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I've tried ES and another good one, none of them seem to have those dots and nothing is said about shortcuts. Looked many times..

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The screenshot is from ES. Long press on the folder to select (downloads in mine), tap on the three dots bottom right and you need to scroll down the menu to get the "add to desktop" option.

Attachments

• 1440775751756.jpg
    1440775751756.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 43

Broth3rz

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
It was hiding, had to scroll up. sorry. Thanks!

What about placing a ringtones, notifications folder on my sd card instead of the phone, will the ringtone changer still read it from my sd since it's not on the phone?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I can't check that, never used a SD card, but I don't think there should be a problem. When you set a ringtone, do you have the option to search in the card?

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow just installed Nova on my G4. Had it on my Galaxy 4 and forgot how great it was glad I read your thread to remind me. Spent the whole day at work setting it up.....

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
All my tones - Alarms, Notifications and Ringtones are on my SD card under a folder I named mp3. (You'll need Alarms, Notifications and Ringtones folders for them to be picked up properly, then put the appropriate mp3 file into the appropriate folder.)

The only reason I put all the folders in a single folder was for my sanity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC