Cracked screen and case

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I am uber careful with my phones....in 10 years, have only cracked 2 screens ever and haven't done it in at least 3 years.

So, yesterday I was walking into the hotel I was staying, I was carrying my LG G4 in my hand along with my wallet. I went to open my wallet to get the room key out and to my horror, my phone dropped. It didn't hit on the side, top, back, edge....no, it fell perfectly flat...face down...I couldn't drop like that again if I tried. My heart stopped for a second and started saying "no no no no....oh God no". I then turned it over and the screen is shattered...but, on the bright side.....still is full functional...hard to read messages, but no dead spots. I didn't have my rubberized case on it at the time, and even if I did, it wouldn't have helped...it landed perfectly parallel to the ground.

I immediately called T-Mo and they told me it would be $175 to get a new one.....WHAT?.....they told me to go to a store and see if they have refurbed ones. The store didn't have any refurbs but they handed me a brochure for a local repair shop. I called them and the guy said..."No problem, part and labor.....$139 out the door. So, I am going with that route because the phones insurance companies send back aren't 100% new replacements. At least my phone is NEW (other than the cracked screen).....and it is cheaper. He even said to use some 3M packing tape on the screen so the glass shards won't cut you.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......with all that said, I was thinking of sigining up with Squaretrade for awarranty. Does anyone have expeereince with them and what they are like and how is their service?. If the phone is over 30 days, can I still get it insured?

Once I get the phone repaired, what cases are recommended for it?. I like the otterbox, but I am thinking if I want to switch the battery out it might be a pain to remove the case everytime. I want something durable that will survive a fall.

Thanks in advanced.

defcon888

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a few products insured with them but haven't had to use them yet. They get good reviews. However, I don't think you can get insurance after 30 days. You might have to call them to be sure.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If you happen to have a tempered glass screen protector on it, it's possible that the protector is cracked and not your screen. I've seen a couple of post here where that was the case.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a few products insured with them but haven't had to use them yet. They get good reviews. However, I don't think you can get insurance after 30 days. You might have to call them to be sure.

I just found out that to be true. Has to be done within 30 days. Protectyourbubble.com will do it for cheaper...they get good reviews as well.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
SquareTrade is good if you think you will damage your phone for more than once in 2 years. Unless you drop it into water, most damages are under $174 ($99 + $75 deductible). So if you only damage it one time or less, it would be cheaper to self insure I think.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Why do you think your rubberized case wouldn't have prevented this from happening? Most of them have some sort of raised lip to prevent the screen from touching if it falls face down on a flat surface. Also did you have a tempered protector on it? If so it could be possible that it is shattered and not the screen.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Why do you think your rubberized case wouldn't have prevented this from happening? Most of them have some sort of raised lip to prevent the screen from touching if it falls face down on a flat surface. Also did you have a tempered protector on it? If so it could be possible that it is shattered and not the screen.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

It probably is just the outer glass....the phone is 100% usable, but realy cracked. The rubberized case I have for it wouldn't have protected it. Like I said, it hit the ground square....if it would have hit a little tilted, it might nothave cracked as bad or at all with the case...but it was like slapping lunch meat on a sandwich FLAT. I had no protector on it...I know I know...dumb dumb and believe me, I have kicked myself for that. Like I said, I am really good with my phones....but obviously, not that good. That is why I am looking into an Otterbox type case...just want it easy to remove so I can swap the battery out if needed.

I am probably going to go with PYB seeing that Squaretrade won't insure it....and PYB is actually cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy