A Handful of APKs: Safely Debloat?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking through the listed apps in the debloater app linked to in another thread here. I have a long list of apps already debloated. Have had those disabled/hidden by the debloater for quite a while.

There are a handful of APKs that I wonder about being safe to debloat. They aren't on the two lists on XDA I combined to one previously, but I suspect that may be because they are often used by folks.

I hate Bluetooth as a technology. I don't use it and can't see myself changing my mind. So is it safe to disable:

LGBluetooth4.apk
LGBluetoothSetting.apk

Similarly, I have never used NFC in all the years I've had it, going back to my BlackBerrys. Can I debloat:

LGNfc.apk
LGNfcSettings.apk

I don't have a smartcover case. If I ever got one I could just unbloat the apk, I figure. So, is it safe to debloat:

LGCover.apk

Also, what is WiseScreen.apk (package is com.lge.keepscreenon). Sounds like it *could* be something else I don't use. [EDIT] I found this apk on an updated version of UncleBob'sWorldFamousDebloatList at XDA. So it's now disabled/hidden.

I am able to force stop some of these without any seeming issues (some auto-start...and that's why I'd like to fully disable and hide them).

If nobody has specific experiences, I won't mess with these, but I think disabling them if I safely can might add more juice. Appreciate any info you guys may have accumulated.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
...I hate Bluetooth as a technology. I don't use it and can't see myself changing my mind. So is it safe to disable:

LGBluetooth4.apk
LGBluetoothSetting.apk

Similarly, I have never used NFC in all the years I've had it, going back to my BlackBerrys. Can I debloat:

LGNfc.apk
LGNfcSettings.apk

I don't have a smartcover case. If I ever got one I could just unbloat the apk, I figure. So, is it safe to debloat:

LGCover.apk

Also, what is WiseScreen.apk (package is com.lge.keepscreenon). Sounds like it *could* be something else I don't use. [EDIT] I found this apk on an updated version of UncleBob'sWorldFamousDebloatList at XDA. So it's now disabled/hidden.

I am able to force stop some of these without any seeming issues (some auto-start...and that's why I'd like to fully disable and hide them)...

OK, no brave souls out there, I guess. ;)

I have blocked/hidden all of the apks I mentioned in my original post above using the debloater app. So far, I have not seen any issues. I blocked a couple at a time, rebooted, made sure there was no issue immediatly, debloated another couple apks, rebooted, etc.

Of course, this may not be the last word. Issues could crop up down the line. If they do, I'll circle back.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Very nice. I use Bluetooth so I need to keep those but I don't use NFC or smart cover so I might play around with those.

Yeah, we're getting to the point of "debloating" not being a fair term, generally speaking.

I noticed before blocking them that if I Force Stopped NFC it would stay that way, but NFC Settings would immediatly restart every time. Even with NFC stopped. Makes me think it had to be using some resources for something I never use. Whether those resources are significant...

As time passes I hope to get some sense that this is making a beneficial difference (mainly in battery life).

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Based on my G4, I would say some of these things have very minimal impact on battery life. I've seen plenty of posts where people have many more things debloated than I do yet my battery life is amazing in comparison. But as long as the phone doesn't throw a fit when things get stopped or removed, any processes or services that can be eliminated would almost have to have a positive benefit to battery life.

F1rst-Hybr1d

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm definitely going to read over your list on XDA, I ran into a slight problem (system start up failed lol) once I rebooted after removing some 30+ bloatware apps and luckily saved my phone by flashing a stock image via KDZ.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that WiseScreen.apk is what detects eye movement while you're looking at your phone so the screen doesn't power off while you're reading something.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm definitely going to read over your list on XDA, I ran into a slight problem (system start up failed lol) once I rebooted after removing some 30+ bloatware apps and luckily saved my phone by flashing a stock image via KDZ.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that WiseScreen.apk is what detects eye movement while you're looking at your phone so the screen doesn't power off while you're reading something.

There are a couple (at least) different debloater lists at that link on XDA. I don't have one there, but I used UncleBob's and another initially and compared to make sure I got everything combined. I made that in to my own list, and have since debloated even more (the apks in this thread for example). I'll give it a little more time and then update my own list with things I've added and report back.

So far, I'm still not noticing any issues from disabling the apks in this thread. The only issue I've encountered recently was with my Roku app's remote not working. I had to de-bloat the QuickRemote apk, which fixed it.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
A quick update. I'm not sure what is causing this, and it may be it's a coincidence (I doubt it).

If I try to enter the WiFi settings from either a long press of the easy Settings icon or the main Settings area, while WiFi is connected, WiFi settings crashes/won't open.

The odd thing is that if I turn WiFi off, I can enter WiFi settings just fine. I can then turn on WiFi with the button at the top and the settings will not crash, I can select a network, etc.

So, the functionality can be accessed, but inconveniently. Nothing I have debloated recently seems to be an obvious culprit. I wonder if the Permissions for WiFi change discussed in another thread could be doing it (don't think so and I scrolled through and checked if any of those apps I rescinded seemed possible).

I'll let you guys know if I figure it out, and appreciate any hunches you might have. Also, let us know if you tried debloating any of the apks I mentioned in the original post, and if you have this same issue.

F1rst-Hybr1d

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I ended up piggybacking off of Bob'sList as well and haven't had major issues come to light with the exception of once I permanently switched over to the Google Now launcher I've lost the ability to "Knock Off" on any unused space of my home screens. I have to use the notification bar for screen off. Wonder if it's simply related to the touchscreen issues a lot of G4 users are experiencing. It's weird though because I just noticed it when I blocked and hid the LG Home Launcher and subsequent apps that coincide with it.

About your most recent post I haven't had any issues with wifi disabling itself on a long press. If you'd like I could list all of the bloatware apps I blocked and you could compare lists and see if you find one that might be causing that.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I ended up piggybacking off of Bob'sList as well and haven't had major issues come to light with the exception of once I permanently switched over to the Google Now launcher I've lost the ability to "Knock Off" on any unused space of my home screens. I have to use the notification bar for screen off. Wonder if it's simply related to the touchscreen issues a lot of G4 users are experiencing. It's weird though because I just noticed it when I blocked and hid the LG Home Launcher and subsequent apps that coincide with it.

About your most recent post I haven't had any issues with wifi disabling itself on a long press. If you'd like I could list all of the bloatware apps I blocked and you could compare lists and see if you find one that might be causing that.

I use Nova Prime, so I have to knock on the notification bar anyway. Glad you found the list useful.

Thanks for the feedback on my issue. No need to share your list, because my issue just recently popped up and you and I likely had a lot of the same things debloated from the UncleBob list (plus I think I had several others before the ones in this thread without WiFi settings crashes).

This morning I went and re-bloated a handful of apps to see if the WiFi settings crash went away, and it didn't. The LGNFCsettings and LGBluetooth apks in my original post here were two I re-bloated (figured it was a longsbot) to no avail.

It's sort of weird.

I'm glad it hasn't t hurt actual functionality, at least.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Checking back in on this thread. 4 days since the last update and nothing new has popped up as a result of the debloating of the APKs I mentioned in the original post.

I haven't found what's causing the WiFi Settings crash with WiFi on (and not with WiFi off), as I mentioned in the last update. Re-bloating the APKs didn't make that issue go away. For now, I'll deal with it, as it's an incovenience and not true functionality damage.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
A quick update. I'm not sure what is causing this, and it may be it's a coincidence (I doubt it).

If I try to enter the WiFi settings from either a long press of the easy Settings icon or the main Settings area, while WiFi is connected, WiFi settings crashes/won't open.

The odd thing is that if I turn WiFi off, I can enter WiFi settings just fine. I can then turn on WiFi with the button at the top and the settings will not crash, I can select a network, etc.

So, the functionality can be accessed, but inconveniently. Nothing I have debloated recently seems to be an obvious culprit. I wonder if the Permissions for WiFi change discussed in another thread could be doing it (don't think so and I scrolled through and checked if any of those apps I rescinded seemed possible).

I'll let you guys know if I figure it out, and appreciate any hunches you might have. Also, let us know if you tried debloating any of the apks I mentioned in the original post, and if you have this same issue.

OK, I have fixed the above issue. It remained the only obvious issue as a result of debloating the APKs in the original post in this thread.

I re-bloated Bluetooth and NFC:

LGBluetooth4.apk
LGBluetoothSetting.apk
LGNfc.apk
LGNfcSettings.apk

After reboot, the WiFi settings open on a quick settings long press, with WiFi on, and do not crash anymore.

I had re-bloated all of those APKs in previous attempts to fix the problem, but I did Bluetooth/settings and NFC/settings separately. Apparently, all four need to be active to stop the crash of WiFi settings.

Now, if you can disable those APKs and not get the WiFi settings crash, there seemed to be no other problems raised by disabling those two features (that I never use).

Now, I am interested to see what, if anything, happens to my battery life with those APKs re-bloated.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
From the original post, debloating LGCover.apk and WiseScreen.apk have created no obvious issues after 10 days or so.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Here I am again to say that the debloating of the 4 APKs for NFC and Bluetooth features and settings seems to have been the issue with my reduced battery after my FDR. The WiFi settings crash I described earlier in this thread was the only hint that something was amiss, even in the battery stats. Of course, as it often goes with Android, that was hardly enlightening.