The LG G4....I LOVE IT!

Klanbo

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Just felt the need to give this phone some positive feedback after jumping to Samsung for a few months and hating almost every minute of it.

I had the LG G3 before but was given a Galaxy Note 4 for work. So sold the G3, but after 4 months with the Note 4 I just have to get rid of it, it's just not a good phone, especially considering the hefty price tag.

Thought the LG G3 was great, but the screen was a little lacking in the brightness department. Mine also got a little hot at times, but apart from that it was a pleasure to use.

The G4 so far has fixed both of those issues, the screen is much brighter, has beautiful colours and feels a speedier than the G3 too. Prior to purchase I was a little worried because it's a little bigger than the G3, being a bit thicker and larger bottom bezel, but it actually feels similar to hold to the G3 and the larger bottom section means your thumb can reach the home keys easier. The edges aren't as round so it's not quite as comfy to hold, but still feels nice in the hand and manageable (quite an accomplishment on a phone with a 5.5" display) . Got the one with the leather back which I think helps a lot with the premium feel, and no real need for a case either (the G3 was a bit slippery without a case).

Have no idea why Samsung's are so popular, much prefer the whiter whites of this IPS display rather than Samsung's AMOLED, but guess that's personal preference. It's the software that did it for me though, Samsung's on the Note 4 (a very expensive phone) was so laggy despite all the fixes and suggestions to speed it up. Plus it's just too big, uncomfortable and the fingerprint scanner was poor. The only good thing about the Note 4 was the battery life and the IR blaster as it outperformed the LG on both. I'm not 100% happy with the look of LG's UI either (just the ugly square icons really), but have been using Nova launcher for the last couple of years so that fixes that. Knock code is great though, so much quicker than fumbling for an unlock button.

If the battery lasted a little better and it had a fingerprint reader as good as the iPhone's, it would be almost perfect. Perhaps a metal frame too but perhaps that's asking too much.

Would be interested to know other people's experiences with this phone. Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

jesthe3rd

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I got mine 2 weeks ago. I moved to T-mobile and got rid of my Samsung Galaxy s5. Before the s5 I had an HTC One, and before that LG Optimus G, before that Galaxy Nexus, etc..... This is by far the best flagship phone I have ever owned. It blows the samsung's away from a launcher perspective, and it just seems to be more customizable than any other OEM launcher. The battery life for me has been much better than the S5, and the phone just feels better in my hand. I do have the leather which I also love. My only issue with it, is sometimes, very rarely, but sometimes it misses a touch here and there when I am typing. And that could always be a user error.... :) Other than that its been perfect.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
but sometimes it misses a touch here and there when I am typing

Quite a few people have mentioned that; I've switched over to the Google Keyboard, away from Swiftkey, because of that. There are, luckily, software updates coming around to fix touchscreen issues.

jon4400

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you guys for the input, ordered the international version (H815) of LG G4.
Super stoked to try it out !

Just wondering if the updates are based on the sim card inserted or coming directly from LG?

Posted via Android Central App

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm really considering picking up the G4, and glad to see so many like it. I have a Moto X 2014, and like it, but the camera is terrible. Some of the issues that make me a little nervous are the reported touchscreen issues, and some complain about lag and running hot. Seems like some updates are coming for the touchscreen, but does anyone experience any lag or overheating?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Thank you guys for the input, ordered the international version (H815) of LG G4.
Super stoked to try it out !

Just wondering if the updates are based on the sim card inserted or coming directly from LG?

Posted via Android Central App

In my case (Canadian h812) its an update put out by one of the carriers and can be flashed to other h812 phones.

I think the update has already been released by LG for the h815… but I could be mistaken.

Have you read through the h815 thread? http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=532283

Last edited:

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm really considering picking up the G4, and glad to see so many like it. I have a Moto X 2014, and like it, but the camera is terrible. Some of the issues that make me a little nervous are the reported touchscreen issues, and some complain about lag and running hot. Seems like some updates are coming for the touchscreen, but does anyone experience any lag or overheating?

No lag for me (Canadian h812) but some US carrier phones have been reported to have lag; it seems like the "debloater tool" has helped there.

I'm fine with the heat; it gets hotter than my old note2, but it's livable.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the note 4 and I want to try something different I've been looking at the the G4 seems like a good phone. It also feels great in the hand despite what others have said.

Quote The Note 4 Never More😤

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I have the note 4 and I want to try something different I've been looking at the the G4 seems like a good phone. It also feels great in the hand despite what others have said.

I have a bumper on the leather back and think it feels awesome. Also the subtle unique vertical and horizontal curvature looks very elegant. I think it feels awesome I'm my hand.

I was wondering if you considered the note 5 at all? Anyone making you lean a certain way?

Klanbo

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Glad to see there are others out their who appreciate LG's work :) Seems a lot of people dismiss them, which would have been understandable 5 years ago.

Guess it's the same as Sony, was never a fan before they went down the Android route with the Xperia Z. Tried the Z and didn't really get on with it, but think it was more down to Android lagging behind IOS back then and coming from an iPhone that as Apple say, "just worked". Also had a Z3 for a while which I really liked, but just a little large for my liking and no quad HD of course. Might be a contender again once they go beyond HD screens. It's too hard to go back after being spoilt by 500+ PPI :)

As for the Note 5 - well... after trying a Galaxy S3 and a Note 4, it'll take a lot for me to go back to Samsung. The S6 was tempting as it's a really nice looking phone, the screen looks amazing and hardware advanced, but have lost confidence in Sam for now as the user experience is key and for me, that's where they lose points.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a bumper on the leather back and think it feels awesome. Also the subtle unique vertical and horizontal curvature looks very elegant. I think it feels awesome I'm my hand.

I was wondering if you considered the note 5 at all? Anyone making you lean a certain way?

That's great. I did considered the note 5 but I couldn't think of any legitimate reason to get it. I'm the type of guy that I have to have the latest and greatest but Samsung is loosing itself trying to be like Apple.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
No lag for me (Canadian h812) but some US carrier phones have been reported to have lag; it seems like the "debloater tool" has helped there.

I'm fine with the heat; it gets hotter than my old note2, but it's livable.

From doing a little more research, it seems the Verizon version is the one with some lag. I use AT&T and from what I have read, their version doesn't have the lag issue.

Last edited:

curley1441

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the Vezion version and I don't have any lag to speak of or touch screen issues . But I've only had it a week and I'm coming from a 2013 Moto X.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I have both the ATT H810 and international H815 versions and both have been lag free. I do prefer the H815 version so far.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

Which bumper?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
No where has LG said any update, beyond the ones already issued, is forthcoming to fix any touchscreen issues.

Look through the recent update threads. A few carriers are in the process of releasing updates this week, and at least the Canadian update is supposed to fix the touchscreen issues (according to folks at xda and our own gibmcfragger).

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I felt a little foolish but I paid a lot $30+ for the Voia on Amazon. They have many colours but I got the black one. It is two piece. With aluminum on the outside and tpu on the inside. The aluminum edge is the piece that is coloured. So on black it is a deep slate grey.

It is actually licensed as oem for lg and made in Korea.

It was important to me to leave the leather and curves exposed to show off the design of this phone. But unprotected I felt the bezels were too vulnerable. Anything listed as bumper on eBay and Amazon except maybe one or two seemed to be hybrid bumpers so with clear backs instead of open.

Edit: in reply to sswitzer

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty happy with mine but I do have a few issues with the camera functioning to my expectations. I am loving the Stock launcher even after testing Nova Prime! The stock Launcher is smooth and it's as customizable as I really need. Screen is big and bright! There is a lot to love about it! I will say that I am still having some Galaxy envy coming from a GS3 that served me well for 3 years! My son's just ordered a Note 5 and a GS6 Edge Plus as upgrades so I'm sure the envy factor is going to be working on me! The only other phone that I considered was the Note 5! I had no issues with Samsung so it is hard to let go, LOL!

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Look through the recent update threads. A few carriers are in the process of releasing updates this week, and at least the Canadian update is supposed to fix the touchscreen issues (according to folks at xda and our own gibmcfragger).

As I said, LG has yet to make any statement on the touchscreen issues being resolved by this update. And everyone should expect to see some actual proof of a fix before believing a few people on the Internet. Anecdotal evidence is not real evidence.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair