The Notorious Facebook App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This question is for those of you who are restricting app permissions with the Acess Lock feature, and also have the Facebook app installed.

Does the blocking of permissions via AL wrangle into submission the infamous resources gluttony of the FB app?

I use Facebook quite a bit, and use it now via the Chrome browser instead of the standalone app. Avoids both the app's drains, and the need for the FB Messenger app, since I can view them in the browser (not that I get that many). However, there are some advantages to the standalone app, primarily for me, the ability to directly share to Facebook.

Appreciate any feedback. FYI, I have tried mutliple versions of the Facebook Lite app along the way, and I just don't like it. Seems glitchy and...can't put my finger on it, but I don't like the way it looks. Seems sort of cramped for something supposedly bare bones.

Thanks!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What "resources gluttony" are you speaking of? Battery? Permissions?

I've not looked at permissions lately, but I can tell you battery-wise Facebook barely registers a blip on my G4.

Cwey55

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have Facebook Greenified, which should be good enough. It won't do or request anything unless you specifically make it.

I do however have location and keep awake blocked via AL just for good measure.

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have Facebook Greenified, which should be good enough. It won't do or request anything unless you specifically make it.

I do however have location and keep awake blocked via AL just for good measure.

Posted via the Android Central App

I've had FB Greenified in the past, as well. The problem being, I never seemed to be able to fully control it. There were always things that continued to run, even when I tried to stop them (through settings,Force Stops, Greenify, etc.).

I've not had it installed on the G4 where I can use the Aceess Lock feature, so I'm wondering how that does. It sounds like several of you are having good experiences with Facebook's app. In my gut, I'm thinking that's partly because some of what it eats doesn't show up under it's own entry in the battery stats...

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like several of you are having good experiences with Facebook's app. In my gut, I'm thinking that's partly because some of what it eats doesn't show up under it's own entry in the battery stats...

Well I don't really look at the stats in the battery app. I judged by how many % of battery I lost while the phone is on. I don't use my phone much during the day. It just sit on my desk all day long. And it lost less 1% per hour with everything (location, bluetooth, WiFi (not connected), etc.. running. So even if Facebook took up most of that 1% (which I doubt), it is not that much. And at night when I am home with WiFi connected and everything else running, I lost about 5% in 12 hours.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I installed the Facebook app a day or two ago and will watch it. I have it Aceess Locked down, with notifications off and such. It still started sending me notifications at the ballgame last night. I make a point to Force Stop it. I won't generally be checking it as often as I was last night, so that's not a huge hardship on a normal day.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The Facebook app has been a resource hog on it.

It's the ONLY app that lags on my 2 custom ROM-rocking phones and while my G4's RAM usage hovers around 70% when idle, Facebook jumps that up to 85%.

While I know that Android manages memory by filling up whatever spare memory is available for better performance, an app consuming so much RAM is just begging for other apps to be killed in the background.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I installed the Facebook app a day or two ago and will watch it. I have it Aceess Locked down, with notifications off and such. It still started sending me notifications at the ballgame last night. I make a point to Force Stop it. I won't generally be checking it as often as I was last night, so that's not a huge hardship on a normal day.

Well, that above post was a month ago yesterday. I wanted to circle back to this topic, because I noticed after reinstalling Greenify for the first time in quite a while, that Facebook refuses to stay Hibernated.

I still have every setting and permission I can find blocked or set to off in the FB app. Yet, if I Hibernate FB manually or via auto, it sure enough is running again shortly thereafter. Very shortly thereafter. I have no idrea what it's doing, though.

So, while the real world result hasn't been bad (battery drain, lag, etc.), I also had been manually force closing FB before I installed Greenify.

As I've posted previously, it does add some convenience to have it installed instead of using the browser and mobile site. The resources seem to be in check with permissions blocked (thank goodness we can do that with the G4!) and applicable settings off. However, I'm not sure that it isn't draining something unnecessarily, with that info hidden in another item's battery use in the breakdown (i.e. the way the rogue app I had in my first two weeks with the G4 displayed its Keep Awake time in the Android OS item line).

Maybe this is where my post-FDR battery life disappeared.

FWIW.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000