Acess Lock and Rescinding App Permissions

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
We've discussed before that Keep Awake and Location are the primary permissions to block with Acess Lock. There are quite a few apps that have those permissions active that simply do not need them. Why does ES File Explorer need to know my Location for what it does?

As a group we've worked through a lot of the whittling down for battery saving and smooth use of the G4 over the past few months. I'm now circling back to some things to see if I can't tighten things up even more.

So, what are some of the other permsissions we should perhaps disable by default (unless they are very obviously needed)? What does the WiFi Change (or Bluetooth Change) permission do? Or, more to the point, what potentially happens if I disable that permission?

I figure there aren't a lot of things beyond Keep Awake and Location that are big battery eaters, but what say ye?

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I've killed most of the "read contacts" or SMS messages, mostly from a privacy and creepiness factor. Why, for example, does Amazon think it should have access to my contacts?

Does anyone know what 'Boot completed' does?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
The WiFi and Bluetooth permissions could allow the app to control and gather information about those connections, as best I understand it. I block those whenever I can unless I think the app absolutely needs it.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I've killed most of the "read contacts" or SMS messages, mostly from a privacy and creepiness factor. Why, for example, does Amazon think it should have access to my contacts?

Does anyone know what 'Boot completed' does?

I think boot completed allows the app to start or run a process once the phone is booted up.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The WiFi and Bluetooth permissions could allow the app to control and gather information about those connections, as best I understand it. I block those whenever I can unless I think the app absolutely needs it.

Yeah, I have some blocked and others I left alone because I just wasn't sure. I will leave my router's actual app with access and nuke the rest.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think boot completed allows the app to start or run a process once the phone is booted up.

Yes, that's what I figured as well. In the cases where I saw that permission, I don't recall rescinding it. So, I guess it was apps I want starting at boot.

Last edited:

Parasol

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
that's the case so far:
1. if the OS lower than 6.0: all the apps get permissions as default, such as contacts and location. Parasol just helps users to close those suspected risky permissions, it won't provoke any other problem.
2. if you still think it's untrustworthy, you can just disable the "Smart Setup" feature (supports Andorid M only), which is automatically setting permissions for users. then u can only check what kind of permission is required by a specific app, meanwhile, u can modify permission settings manually.