[Review] Mugen Power 3100 mAh Extended Battery for LG G4

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
TL;DR version: you're probably just better off spending that money on a couple of cheaper batteries.

https://mugen.co/mugen-power-3100mah-extended-battery-for-lg-g4-815t-g4-dual-818n.html

I’ve been alternating between the use of the Mugen 3100 mAh battery and my OEM stock 3000 mAh battery for about a week and half now so, as agreed to, it’s about time to share my thoughts on it. I have been noting my usage. Nothing scientific, just hands on experience.

I do want to point out, though, before sharing these initial impressions that, while my day to day usage is mostly the same, my phone’s performance seemed to have taken a hit during this past week. I have been experiencing lag when I wasn’t before and it seems like my phone was just burning through battery a lot more than usual so I can’t rightfully point my finger at this particular battery. I did a factory reset a couple nights ago and will do further testing this coming week and will update this thread with my final thoughts.

To sum things up, as of right now I would find it very hard to recommend the $44.50 Mugen battery over cheaper alternatives or even just buying an OEM battery from LG (not sure how much it costs, but it’s probably similar). 100 mAh just isn’t a meaningful boost and it’s just not a noticeable improvement, if you could even call it that.

To put in perspective, you could buy two TrendOn batteries for less than the price of one Mugen battery. The TrendOn battery (as well as other brands such as Hyperion) also has the added benefit of throwing in a battery charger with your purchase – the Mugen battery does not include a charger. I mention the TrendOn brand because that’s what I used with my G3 so I’d be comfortable buying that brand again and, if I were to spend my own money, I’d definitely choose two for less than the cost of one.

This battery compared to the stock battery looks to be about the same size in my eyes. I honestly can’t tell the difference other than the color and branding, however, it is a tighter fit. Not by much, but you do notice it when snapping your back plate on. If you manually installed a qi sticker, you might want to double check to make sure the qi/NFC contacts still connect with this battery installed and make adjustments to your sticker as necessary (adding a small piece of paper under the contact to raise it does the trick).

As for battery life and usage, maybe my phone was just having a bad week, but I was not getting impressive results. The week prior the arrival of this battery, I was recording usage from my stock battery from the time I woke up and unplugged my phone to 5% battery drain when I swapped it out for a fresh battery. I’ve kept conditions roughly the same with the Mugen battery.

Overall, my stock OEM battery actually had better results (but also keep in mind that those results were recorded before I felt like my phone could have benefited from a factory result). From my very heavy use, my stock battery averaged 9.55 hours total time on with 3.45 hours of SOT whereas the Mugen battery averaged 8.42 hours total time on with 3.0 hours of SOT.

Maybe the results will be different after this most recent factory reset, but, even then, is that extra 100 mAh even worth it when there are cheaper alternatives? I’m leaning towards no. Use the money for two 3000 mAh from another brand that includes a battery charger or just a bit more and get their extended 6500 mAh battery instead (the downside of their extended battery, though, is the quality of the back cover – it’s slippery and feels cheap).

Or, if you don’t mind losing NFC or qi, consider this extended battery from Hyperion: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZA...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4659910

I recently got this 6000 mAh battery from Hyperion for my G4 (great customer service, by the way – they replaced my G3 battery with one for the G4). Like the Mugen extended battery back cover, it’s also cheap, slippery plastic, but this one should at least have a case coming for it down the line. First day of recorded use gave me 24h 26m total time on with a SOT of 8h 35m. Not bad at all.

uploadfromtaptalk1441312716589.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441312773993.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441312832264.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441312873713.jpg

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay