Encryption questions

Inspgadget113

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Thinking of encrypting my LG G4.

1. Does encryption make the phone run slower when opening apps?

2. I keep all my photos on my SD card. Will they still be backed up my Google photos of they are encrypted?

3. I also double backup my photos by copying them to my computer. How can I view them if they are encrypted?

Posted via the Android Central App

EarnestT

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I have read that performance can suffer some, not very noticeable in the newer high end phone's.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

jkayakj

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Encryption is just for while using the phone, it won't effect anything that is transferred off of the phone and doesn't influence how things are accessed when plugged into a computer. It mostly only is noticed when turning on the phone.

Encrypting the phone doesn't erase the files but Encrypting a SD card can erase the SD card FYI. But your storage (aka phone internal storage and SD card) will still work the same. Whatever happened beforehand will still happen.

Performance wise you take a small hit mostly in apps opening. It's less noticeable on the newer phones ( haven't specifically tried it on this one though), but on older phones I found that the performance hit is only noticeable when the phones are side by side. It isn't that bad of a performance hit at all.

Inspgadget113

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
So when I take a picture it's stored on my SD card and if I copy it from there to my computer it won't be encrypted anymore? Why encrypt the phone then?

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I encrypt my phone per my work policy. I do not encrypt the SD card however. I did run the G4 for a few months unencrypted and really do not see any difference in performance. I actually expected to see some additional lag but was surprised to not see any.

Posted via my LG G4 H815

jkayakj

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It encrypts the phone because if someone doesn't know the password to power on the phone they can't access the picture to take it off of the phone..

Think of encryption like a safe. Once you open the safe you can take stuff in and out and manipulate it as if it weren't in a safe. But close the safe and no one can access what's inside

Inspgadget113

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I thought encryption will encrypt each file on the phone, and SD card if desired, so that if the phone is stolen someone can't just plug it into a computer and copy your files and view them.

jkayakj

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It encrypts the entire disk and will ask for a password whenever your phone is turned on. If one were to plug it into the computer and download the files without unlocking it, it wouldn't be readable. But if the phone is turned on and unlocked and allowed to connect to a computer, it will act as if it isn't encrypted.

So if it's stolen your data is safe but it doesn't really change how the phone works etc