Using LG Backup to copy from one G4 to another

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm buying another G4 for my lovely wife in the next few days, and want to copy all my apps and settings to her phone -- saving me the time it's taken me to get it all set up the way I like it (launcher, apps, notifications, etc.) (Note: we share the same Google account.)

Am I correct that LG Backup is the way to go about doing this?

I saw a post a couple of days ago about someone having success with this, where apps + data + settings all came over properly, but I'm looking for any tips / hints.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm buying another G4 for my lovely wife in the next few days, and want to copy all my apps and settings to her phone -- saving me the time it's taken me to get it all set up the way I like it (launcher, apps, notifications, etc.) (Note: we share the same Google account.)

Am I correct that LG Backup is the way to go about doing this?

I saw a post a couple of days ago about someone having success with this, where apps + data + settings all came over properly, but I'm looking for any tips / hints.

I have done it twice and everything went smoothly. Works better than Samsung Kies on my wife's S6.

LG NitroHD G2 G3 G4

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I successfully used it to go from G3 to G4 twice and from G2 to G3. Definitely a time saver. Only hiccup I saw was some apps failed to give notifications until I uninstalled and reinstalled them from the play store.

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that everything transfers over except home screen layouts...not sure if that's true or not. Not a problem if you are using Nova Prime and back up your home screens, I guess.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that everything transfers over except home screen layouts...not sure if that's true or not. Not a problem if you are using Nova Prime and back up your home screens, I guess.

The 3 times I used it the home screens transferred just fine. They were all LG launcher though.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How does this work from a G2 to a G4? My G2 doesn't have LG Backup on it.

Thanks.

Yes it does, but with the Lollipop update they took the icon from your app drawer away.

You can still access it by going into settings and then opening "Backup and Reset".

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I successfully used it to go from G3 to G4 twice and from G2 to G3. Definitely a time saver. Only hiccup I saw was some apps failed to give notifications until I uninstalled and reinstalled them from the play store.

I'm pretty sure I encountered that as well.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
While the hiccups I've experienced are worth it, primarily because it restores data and settings, both times I've used LG Backup I've had a wonky app or two after restore.

The absence of notifications thing tourbound mentioned. Some phantom issue that led the Fenix Twitter app to burn through my battery (though not show that drain in the app's own stats line). Both times there were just some things that restored...wonky.

So, when you use Backup, and you absolutely should, just make sure to be aggressive with apps that may not "seem right" afterward. Uninstall and reinstall them.

With all the apps we have on our phones, the issue is small relatively speaking, but that makes it difficult to pin down sometimes, too (it took me my first 3 weeks with the G4 in June to find through trial and error that Fenix was a problem).

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
After using LG Backup to set up my wife's phone (using mine as the base), it worked not bad. A few issues:
  • Make sure you login to google on the new phone before you do the copy
  • Notification settings didn't get copied
  • Default app selections didn't get copied
  • Apps that I had disabled (like Facebook) weren't disabled on the new phone... so I had to re-disable a bunch of apps
Other than those, it was actually pretty handy in that all the apps and app data (mostly) was copied over.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781