Unfortunately camera has stopped working. error message!?! help please

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I spent an hour looking for a solution but all I can find is all sorts of recent complaints about this same exact problem with no working solution. This only happens with the rear camera. If I switch right away to front camera it works fine. The camera UI comes up with a black screen where what you are pointing at is expected to be seen. Also attempts to use the builtin flashlight toggle fails to keep the flash on for more than a second or two. Which is about the same time to error message when opening the camera. I don't use the camera much and so the last time I used it was prior to the update to (whatever of these numbers is the one indicating it: build LMY47D, soft ver LS991ZV5). Oh sprint LGLS991.

I have rebooted several times, force closed and cleared data and cache for the camera, and from most every place a factory reset was recommended but didn't correct the issue. So I have not done one and without a proper method to back up each apps data (without root, like it should have but doesn't, oh man am I still angry about that) this has to be a very very worst case scenario to do it. I have insurance and if it is broken camera hardware they should be able to simply replace the camera. But before I try and deal with a local sprint repair center I wanted to check here first to see if anyone knows for sure anything about the problem so I can avoid any grief from wasted time doing stuff that won't fix it. Thanks.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned above, safe mode is a good thing to try.

You could also try another camera app like Camera FV-5 (which has manual controls), or even the Google Camera) and see if they produce the same result.

Whether a different camera app works or not, you could still try a factory reset. Just because it didn't work for some doesn't mean it wont work for whatever is going on with your phone. Besides, if you end up getting the phone fixed or replaced via your insurance, they are going to make you do a factory reset when you call in to get the phone dealt with.

As far as your data goes, I think that the LG Backup process does save and restore app data. I wont swear to that, but I think I read a thread here where someone used it and said that it worked great (you can search for the thread and read a little more about it).

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happens in safe mode. Also others with the same problem it didn't matter what camera app or app that used the camera the same error occurred. Same is happening with me. I have a couple apps that can use the camera to scan barcodes and they get the error message when I attempt to use the parts that uses the camera. If LG backup does backup app data that would be great. I'll see if I can find the thread later for now I will be getting some sleep. If it indeed does then I will attempt a factory reset and maybe even see about flashing the update again if that is possible.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happens in safe mode. Also others with the same problem it didn't matter what camera app or app that used the camera the same error occurred. Same is happening with me. I have a couple apps that can use the camera to scan barcodes and they get the error message when I attempt to use the parts that uses the camera. If LG backup does backup app data that would be great. I'll see if I can find the thread later for now I will be getting some sleep. If it indeed does then I will attempt a factory reset and maybe even see about flashing the update again if that is possible.

Have you tried clearing the camera data? (settings -> apps -> all -> camera -> clear data)

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking some how something went severely wrong software / OS related. Since posting this a system app or the OS itself went rogue and is keeping the GPS radio active 8 hours even when the screen is off. And yesturday after turning off location services to stop that it is now being kept awake twice as long as before. After having spent a month figuring out what was massivly draining my battery and stopping it. I'm thinking at this point I have no option but to use LG backup and factory reset. I think even having the latest android build flashed again may be a good idea. I sure hope LG backup backs up everything. Also is it possible to do selective restores from the backup? In case that is needed?

Thanks for the link.

Have you tried clearing the camera data? (settings -> apps -> all -> camera -> clear data)

That is the first thing I tried. Also mentioned in my OP. :)

sneep

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I have this exact problem too, and have done everything you have. Wondering if it, along with Google Play issues, is because I never updated from KitKat. I haven't installed any new apps lately, they are all on manual update (which I haven't done for quite a while) so it shouldn't be hijacked. Am now in the process of updating to Lollipop..

thisiserika

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Did you find a solution? Sprint wants to charge me $75 to replace the phone. One sprint store told me that I was the 2nd person to come in with this problem. Perhaps we need to contact LG about this issue!

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Did you find a solution? Sprint wants to charge me $75 to replace the phone. One sprint store told me that I was the 2nd person to come in with this problem. Perhaps we need to contact LG about this issue!
If you have insurance/protection for your G4 then they should not be replacing the whole device. I have not got mine fixed yet. I have a lot of prep work to do in order to go through the paces with a factory reset and flash of the newest OS release for the G4. I simply have not had the time. I suspect it is the camera hardware failed since the front facing camera works fine and the same software is used for both (more likely than not even the same drivers). Before replacing the G4 the technicians should be replacing hardware inside. That hardware is cheaper than the rest of the device combined. The screen being the most expensive part. In the past they have swapped almost all the inner hardware on a smartphone of mine before replacing the whole device and at no cost to me because I have the insurance/protection thing.

I should add that if it is still under warranty then it should not cost you anything either. As the warranty should cover any defects. This particular situation appears to be a defect considering how easy it is to find all sorts of people with the same exact problem with no fault of their own that caused it to happen.

no name6

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
man i feel like i have to thank u it helped me i was so stressed i was sure my cam broke but it worked thank you so much i signed to the site only to tell you thanks

Ch She

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Solved! Solved!. Go to settings. Go to apps. Go to all. Scroll to camera and click it. Click uninstall updates. Thats all folks!

That's a new one I've not seen tried before Mr Greenwell. I have an LG G4 on Android 5 and when I go into the camera app how you said there was no option to uninstall updates. Can anyone advise please?

I tried the other suggestions no luck. Factory reset and safe mode and clear cache & data plus tried another camera app and wipe partition cache. Still not working. All I get is a black screen showing 4 buttons at the bottom part of normal LG G4 camera. The back and gallery ones work but the take photo and start video ones are greyed out.

I downloaded a check your phone app and rear camera still the same though front camera still worked.

Phone is only 3 days old so don't want to start disassembling things to try checking connections etc. All verrrrry frustrating.

Ch She

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Forgot to ask... Would manually reinstalling Android 5 via my PC or trying to manually upgrade to Android 6 he worth a try? Will the warranty remain valid if I do?

amamal

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem. Discovered that the fact that the location authorization not being on was causing it. Once I authorized location as well it started working. So check if the app has all the authorizations on...(although it has no reason not to work without that I think).

CIVs

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello there mate, have you found the solution yet? I HAD this kind of problem too. With the exact problem which is the only rear camera that wont work (only black screen) and 3rd party camera apps cant help either. I've done everything you have done, but nothing works.

You should try to shutting down the phone first, then remove the battery for about an hour. Turn it on again, the camera should work now. It work's for me!

CIVs

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello there mate, have you found the solution yet? I HAD this kind of problem too. With the exact problem which is the only rear camera that wont work (only black screen) and 3rd party camera apps cant help either. I've done everything you have done, but nothing works.

You should try to shutting down the phone first, then remove the battery for about an hour. Turn it on again, the camera should work now. It work's for me!

Well... You know you have to put the battery on before turning on the phone.

ShadowTiger

May 22, 2018
Visit site
So, I tried everything available on the internet to make my camera come back to life and nothing worked, but I've come with a simple solution that might help those in the same situation.

A little background, I tried:
1 - Cleaning camera cache;
2 - Cleaning all camera data;
3 - Using another camera app;
4 - Reboot;
5 - Turn on and off;
6 - Set via developer option "no background processess" and turn off all camera notifications;
7 - Reset all app preferences;
8 - Take the battery for an hour and turn on;
9 - Factory reset;
10 - Reflash at least 3 different stock ROMS.

None of those worked for me, so I decided to open the cellphone following some rear camera replacing videos on YouTube. I tried taking the flat off from both cameras (rear and front) and putting them back, put all the screws back and turn the phone to see what error that might come. When I turned on nothing seemed to change, so I turned off and replaced all the camera flats back and just fixed the back not putting the screws back.

When I turned the cellphone on, to my surprise the cameras were back, but as soon as I put the screws back, the cameras would stop again. The same happened when I put the back plastic lid (don't know the name) on without the screws. Long story short, I managed to find which contacts were mildly oxidized and cleaned them with an electronic contact cleaner, but I believe isopropyl alcohol and some rubbing may do the work, heres a picture of the contacts:

IMG_20180522_165208.jpg

If there's your warranty has expired you could give this a try, worked for me and also fixed a problem with the volume down button (I cleaned its contact by removing the camera lens glass).