The LG V10 is official! G4 owners, what do you think?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So, the LG V10 is official, and boy, does it look pretty!

LG-V10-04-e1443664241241-840x491.jpg

It has a DuraSkin shock-resistant back and bottom, a stainless steel frame on the sides, a secondary ticker display on the top of the 5.7" QHD IPS display and dual front cameras for the selfie freaks.

But what do you think of it, as a G4 owner?

Personally, as a G4 owner, it's like an "LG G4 Plus". The overall internals and design is similar to the G4 (but I think it looks better), but comes with extras. Personally, while I like the ticker display and the much better build, I'll still be keeping my G4. Not because the V10 is bad but it's because I've been loving my G4 to death already and it's going to take a lot for me to give it up. That said, given the similar internals, LG didn't position this as a G4 replacement, but rather, as a device like what the Galaxy Note is to Samsung. That said, I do love it. It kept what we loved about the G4 and added some stuff. I do hope the camera features make it to the G4, though I'm certain not all will make it.

If you're in the market for a new phone, put this one in your consideration list.

Last edited:

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I agree. Looks very nice, but I'll be keeping my G4 as well. Loving the leather back, camera, and screen size. Thinking the V10 may be a little too large for me. I'll have to check it out though, when it's released.

Sent from my Sprint LG G4 using Tapatalk.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, I hope this phone kickstarts a new trend.

This phone is the first phone I have seen that comes with 64GB of internal storage as the baseline. 64GB is huge and is wayyyyy more than what most people need. I hope the ultra high-end flagships of 2015 come with 64GB base.

the53rdcard

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
haven't looked at it much, but will say, the g4 is the biggest device i am willing to still call a phone, and i dont want to make phone calls on a tablet. so the screen size of the v10 is a deal breaker, g4 is right on the line of being to big as it is. Now if the v10 comes with 64gb of memory i will say, finally, the companies give a usable amount of internal storage. but lets not remove the sd card slot and removable battery just because of that (not sure if it did or not, haven't wanted to check) other then having to get my g4 replaced because its camera died, i have been/ was happy with it. time will tell if that happiness comes back, may or may not be my first and last lg phone depending on its issues

sata

May 2, 2015
Visit site
They saved the best for now :)

The second screen sounds interesting

To me it is just too large though. It is also heavier than the G4. I hope they put some of its features in their upcoming phones like the G5.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Interesting.

What about the rear camera (not sure if I missed that part in the video) - is it the same as the one in the G4?

That phone definitely looks better than the G4 and I like the image stabilization for video (not that I'm Michael J Fox or anything).

laika

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Not here, next phone will be smaller than my current G4, bigger is not better for me.

I agree, Nice specs but the G4 which I do love is tops as to what I want to lug around, my next one will be G4 sized or smaller, likely a bit smaller.

missouriexile

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Probably will upgrade when I am eligible. Love big screens and new gadgets.

So so pleased that they kept the removable battery and SD card slot! 😄

2 TB... Not sure if I can count that high!
I'm a dedicated negative CLOUD user. With this kind of storage available why should I pay to upload and then pay again when I want to use my content?
How long will it be before they start to charge us for cloud storage? (either you pay or lose your photos etc?!)
Just a grumpy 'old fa#t' talking.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

rti35

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
haven't looked at it much, but will say, the g4 is the biggest device i am willing to still call a phone, and i dont want to make phone calls on a tablet. so the screen size of the v10 is a deal breaker, g4 is right on the line of being to big as it is. Now if the v10 comes with 64gb of memory i will say, finally, the companies give a usable amount of internal storage. but lets not remove the sd card slot and removable battery just because of that (not sure if it did or not, haven't wanted to check) other then having to get my g4 replaced because its camera died, i have been/ was happy with it. time will tell if that happiness comes back, may or may not be my first and last lg phone depending on its issues

Agreed. The G4 was bigger than the G3 and I felt the G3 was a little large. Anything bigger than the G4 just feels clumsy in my hand and feels like a chore to operate. I don't want anything bigger than the G4. I'll be waiting for the G5 and hoping it's not any bigger than the G4 (which I imagine it won't be now that the V10 is here). I just wish they put the fingerprint sensor on the G4. That and battery life are literally my only 2 gripes with the G4. And one of those gripes is remedied by a free additional battery. It's an otherwise perfect phone, IMO

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
For me, it's probably too big, and I'm not a selfie guy and I don't listen to audio over headphones, so outside of the fingerprint scanner, I don't see a compelling reason to switch. The secondary display looks neat, but it would probably end up being a novelty for me.

I'll check one out when they hit stores though.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The G4 is my size limit. With the V10 having a bigger screen and the same size battery, I think the battery life will suck. From my years of reading Android Forums, the 2 things people want most are a top performing camera and better battery life.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It is quite a bit bigger because of the secondary screen. And it is a LOT heavier (probably because of the metal frame). I really don't think the secondary screen is that useful and it will drain battery more. So Phone is bigger and heavier, but primary screen is about the same size. Got a 2nd status screen but battery is same size. Dual front camera but resolution is lower. I don't think I would consider it even if I have not gotten the G4 first.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah if the battery were in the neighborhood of what's coming in the Nexus 6P my interest level would have increased significantly.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Interesting.

What about the rear camera (not sure if I missed that part in the video) - is it the same as the one in the G4?

That phone definitely looks better than the G4 and I like the image stabilization for video (not that I'm Michael J Fox or anything).

Yep, it's the same camera as the G4, but with new features, mainly software-based but some (like changing the direction of audio recording) have dedicated hardware.

darkehawke

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
It is quite a bit bigger because of the secondary screen. And it is a LOT heavier (probably because of the metal frame). I really don't think the secondary screen is that useful and it will drain battery more. So Phone is bigger and heavier, but primary screen is about the same size. Got a 2nd status screen but battery is same size. Dual front camera but resolution is lower. I don't think I would consider it even if I have not gotten the G4 first.

Nah the main screen is bigger as well

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I can't tell how the dual screen works from the promo video. Is there a better link to show how it actually looks?

Scratch this. Just saw the video in Phil's review.

Last edited:

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
If I didn't own a G4, I'd get this... But the problem is that the screen resolution is the same, battery size is the same, camera is the same, processor is the same. The most important stuff for me is the same. I can't justify paying that kind of money for a device I already own. if they had put ... hmm... a 4,500 mah battery in it, then it would be worth it! But ... same EVERYTHING? I mean, don't get me wrong, it has A LOT of good NEW things, but nothing that merits the same device. Camera, battery life and processor (speed, power and temp) are the most important things. None of these have changed. If I didn't own a G4, I'd buy it ASAP! AWESOME looks, great specs... Top phone :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon