How can I fix a sound issue?

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
sound issues

I haven't found any threads about 2 issues I am having with new LG G4. Intermittently, when I am texting, I don't get the feedback click on all my letters. (I know a lot of people dislike it and shut it off, but I like the feedback). Also one of my games doesn't always playback the generated congratulatory sound after a super move. One time the feedback sound was completely off on the game and I rebooted and it came back. I blamed that on my obsession with turning off tasks and apps not in use. But I have let go on that obsession so I don't think I am affecting things. Of course, the game could be buggy too.

I've been reading a lot of issues about LG G4 similar things but none quite like these.

Any clues of what to look for/try?

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: sound issues

So, I had a couple of mis-steps booting into safe mode. I was mis-interpreting "power off" as the hardware power button (its still early... on my first cup of coffee). I never got a prompt for boot in safe mode. I had some other Safe Mode instructions that said when the phone was starting up and the LG logo appeared, to hold down the VOL DOWN button until home screen appears and you will be in Safe Mode.

I held down the VOL DOWN button but maybe not long enough. I never saw a banner that said I was in safe mode.

The keyboard click problem has since disappeared. And yes, I reproduced the problem just before safe mode attempts. And immediately after it was gone. Very weird! But I guess I am all set for now. I will save this thread and hopefully remember it if the problem re-surfaces. I have a feeling it will.

And I was thinking that Safe Mode experiment should not apply to this problem if it is a keyboard problem because I have the stock keyboard. Even in safe mode, the keyboard would have to work, right?

[aside: Before I did all this, I went to browse alternative keyboard apps and they are all loaded with unnecessary (IMO) permissions. I dislike apps doing more than they are intended for and needing so much control. Especially a keyboard app... it could log anything.. ]

So thanks for the side-affect/fix :)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm not clear on whether you were able to successfully boot into Safe Mode. The idea is to first press and hold Power for a second or two as you normally would, which should bring up the Power Off menu. Then press and hold the Power Off option on the screen until the Safe Mode prompt appears. It sounds like you figured that out, but I figured I'd just mention it again just in case.

The reason for trying Safe Mode isn't to directly affect the stock Keyboard app, but rather to disable all other 3rd party apps, in case any of them are interfering with the normal functioning of the keyboard. If the problem goes away in Safe Mode, then it's likely that some app you installed is causing some kind of conflict.

The warning about logging keys is standard for any keyboard, even Google Keyboard. If LG Keyboard were available in the Play Store and you installed that, it would also give you the same warning if you activated it. As long as you're installing a keyboard from a trusted source (like Google, Swiftkey, Swype, etc.), you're ok.

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Sorry I was't clear. I was not able to boot into safe mode when I first tried, but I ultimately didn't have to so I didn't pursue it. The attempt somehow fixed the problem. Truly bizarre.

Yes, I wasn't that convinced that safe mode would show anything because I really don't suspect any apps of interfering but ya never know. It was worth a shot. The one game app that has its own sound problem possibly affected my keyboard. I will now be on the lookout to see if I can make the connection. So far today, my keyboard is 100% perfect. I haven't played that game yet and I will hold off to test the keyboard longer.

Regarding other keyboard apps, I wasn't talking about any warnings. I was reading their permission lists. Holy Batman... They can do everything under the sun! There is no legit need for a keyboard app to have that much control IMO. However, if it was Google Keyboard, Google already does know everything anyhow, so what's one more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude