Why Do I Get A Contact Sync Error?

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Contact Sync Error

I stumbled across my google account sync settings, and noticed that my contacts have not synced since July 24! It says "Sync Error" under my google account, and the Contacts has the sync icon with ! next to it, and below it says, "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly.".

I've restarted the phone, then disabled data, restarted phone, enabled data, still no luck. My calendar syncs no problem. I don't want to delete my google account and re-add it, as I have most likely added contacts on the phone since 7/24, and they would be lost.

Help!

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Contact Sync Error

Port your contacts to your SD card. That way if you have to delete your Google account you can and then re-add. I don't use Google for any backups.

Neera42

May 28, 2013
Visit site

This sync error has been around for a long time and happens periodically.

One way to correct it is to go to your application manager -> ALL -> "Contacts" (and also "Contacts Storage") and clear cache and data for both.
Don't worry you won't lose any data, it will all sync back and the error should be gone.

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Don't worry you won't lose any data, it will all sync back and the error should be gone.

Is this going to clear the contacts on my phone? I may (probably) have entered in new contacts on the phone (as google contacts), that are not sync'd to Gmail yet due to this problem. I would then lose those completely, right?

Neera42

May 28, 2013
Visit site

I have never lost anything that I can recall (even though it says sync error), but if you want to make sure maybe enter those contacts in question via your desktop first (or check if they are there) before re-syncing.

Just make sure when you enter contacts on your phone that you select "Google contact" and not "Phone contact". I had many friends wondering why their contacts never showed up in their Google account. :)

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

the problem is, I don't know what contacts I may have entered in the past 3 months. I always choose "google" contacts, and never the phone contacts.

acraftylady

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

Why not just back them up? I do 2 back up files. One file for the whole system which includes my contacts then one just for my contacts in case I have to reload just those and nothing else. Mary

IrieBro

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site

I had this problem. Did all the recommended fixes and it still returned. Turns out that I had moved an app that shouldn't be moved to SD. Using an app like Apps2SD tells you what is affected by moving an app BEFORE you move it. When it says Account manager or sync adapter, DON'T MOVE. Firefox was a major prob.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I had this problem. Did all the recommended fixes and it still returned. Turns out that I had moved an app that shouldn't be moved to SD. Using an app like Apps2SD tells you what is affected by moving an app BEFORE you move it. When it says Account manager or sync adapter, DON'T MOVE. Firefox was a major prob.

Hmm, like you I've tried all these fixes but the issue still returns. I use Firefox, but haven't migrated any apps to my sd card. For me, the issue is always the ICE contacts. I've removed and added contacts to ICE to no avail.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

I couldn't get an answer for this when it was happening on my G4 and it is not unique to the LG G4 or Android. The fix was simple for me (and others), click the link below and you'll be back in business. I liked the app so much I made a contribution to the developer.

Once in a while my contacts do not sync when I'm adding new and this app just kicks in and corrects the issue.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ru.ivary.ContactsSyncFix&hl=en&token=41F91B5P

Wayne Cannon

May 24, 2016
Visit site

This app solved my contacts partial sync'ing problem in just a few seconds. I still don't know what causes the problem, but color me happy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer