Boot in recovery mode?

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have tried all the ways I have found online to get to recovery mode so I can clear the cache after the last update, and I can't make it happen. Has anyone found the right way to do that on an ATT G4? Tried holding power and vol down, phone booted normally. Tried doing that and briefly releasing the buttons when the LG logo displayed. Tried just releasing the power button briefly. The phone just booted normally. How do I do this???

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Power off phone completely, hold power and volume down, LG logo comes up, keep holding both, then recovery mode comes up. Only way to do it.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
This doesn't work for me either. After a long time holding those buttons and looking at the LG logo, I see the ATT page and it boots normally.

Has anyone else had this issue and found the magic way to make it work?

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Until something happens. In my case the only thing that happens is a full boot, so the amount of time it takes to get the ATT screen.

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
The easiest way is to go to settings, storage, cached data & clear. If you google "how to clear system cache ..." this is the method shown on most sites.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The easiest way is to go to settings, storage, cached data & clear. If you google "how to clear system cache ..." this is the method shown on most sites.

Actually that's not the same - that's app cache, I want to clear the system cache partition. I could do it on the S3 and S4 because of the hardware home button being part of the routine.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know, it's not possible to get into a full stock recovery on the AT&T LG G4 (H810), or all functions besides factory data reset have been hidden or disabled.

To get into it,

1) Power the phone off
2) Press and hold down both Power + Vol Down at the same time
3) As soon as the LG logo appears release ONLY the Power button very briefly then quickly press it down again and hold until the recovery screen comes up

Again, you won't find what you're looking for here though. The only option available is a factory data reset.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, it's not possible to get into a full stock recovery on the AT&T LG G4 (H810), or all functions besides factory data reset have been hidden or disabled.

To get into it,

1) Power the phone off
2) Press and hold down both Power + Vol Down at the same time
3) As soon as the LG logo appears release ONLY the Power button very briefly then quickly press it down again and hold until the recovery screen comes up

Again, you won't find what you're looking for here though. The only option available is a factory data reset.

That is one of the methods I tried, and it didn't work....
So why has all this been disabled? Somehow they don't want us clearing the system cache?? If all you can do is reset from there, I bet they've disabled it altogether as you can reset from inside the settings. Why would AT&T disable this, particularly??

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
That is one of the methods I tried, and it didn't work....
So why has all this been disabled? Somehow they don't want us clearing the system cache?? If all you can do is reset from there, I bet they've disabled it altogether as you can reset from inside the settings. Why would AT&T disable this, particularly??

You have to be quick when you release and re-press the power button. It's literally a release and immediate re-press.

As to why, only AT&T knows, but I'm sure it boils down to them wanting to lock it down and control the experience. Carriers usually don't want users fiddling with things at the system level with phones on their network, and limiting recovery functions is a way to do that.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Just in case, you guys don't have the phone plugged in when you're trying this, right? I can't get to the recovery screen to wipe the cache on my G4 if it's plugged in to the charger. I have no problem otherwise.

I'm on Verizon, though.

I also don't get there the way you do. Our sequence is as tourbound (who is on Sprint if I recall) described, to press and hold Power and Volume Down (no release at all) until the recovery menu comes up. If you haven't tried that unplugged, I'd see if it works.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Just in case, you guys don't have the phone plugged in when you're trying this, right? I can't get to the recovery screen to wipe the cache on my G4 if it's plugged in to the charger. I have no problem otherwise.

I'm on Verizon, though.

I also don't get there the way you do. Our sequence is as tourbound (who is on Sprint if I recall) described, to press and hold Power and Volume Down (no release at all) until the recovery menu comes up. If you haven't tried that unplugged, I'd see if it works.

Correct, I'm on Sprint.

The method to enter recovery should be the same for all G4's.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I tried both pressing the two buttons and holding indefinitely, and pressing the two buttons and bouncing the Power button when the logo shows. Nada on either. Is anyone else here actually running an AT&T G4 who's tried this? Because maybe AT&T disabled it altogether.

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

I'm on Verizon, though.

Again, you give excellent advise. I am also on Verizon & tried your method - "WORKED". All of the normal options were there; cleared cache & rebooted; now good to go. Curious as to why online searches generally discourage this or just show the method I gave?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried both pressing the two buttons and holding indefinitely, and pressing the two buttons and bouncing the Power button when the logo shows. Nada on either. Is anyone else here actually running an AT&T G4 who's tried this? Because maybe AT&T disabled it altogether.

I'm not sure how else to describe it. I release the Power button for maybe 1/2 a second then re-press it, making sure I'm holding Vol-Down down the entire time. Doing so almost immediately displays the factory data reset screen. Again though, this won't help you as there are no other recovery options available. In fact, the FDR screen that comes up is a skinned screen and looks nothing like the typical Android recovery screen.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
That's absurd. As if I needed another reason to never have ATT for anything.

Network, and a bit less device meddling/branding than Verizon. I was a Sprint customer for years, and reached the end of my rope about two years ago when I was in a mall about 50 feet from a Sprint store and could not connect to data, while my wife's AT&T iPhone had full 4G connectivity. I just couldn't take Sprint's data network anymore, so I said goodbye and haven't had a single issue with AT&T since.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Network, and a bit less device meddling/branding than Verizon. I was a Sprint customer for years, and reached the end of my rope about two years ago when I was in a mall about 50 feet from a Sprint store and could not connect to data, while my wife's AT&T iPhone had full 4G connectivity. I just couldn't take Sprint's data network anymore, so I said goodbye and haven't had a single issue with AT&T since.

I'm not willing to pay the money they want for 5 lines so I'll never be with them. Plus they really ticked me off with an appointment for Uverse that made me waste an entire day off from work. Every carrier has their dead areas. I'm in a big city so service isn't really an issue. Funny thing is my sister has ATT and struggles with service in downtown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca