Probably dumping my G4

CarpeMortem

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
If they can't fix the fact that when I place calls, the folks at the other end all of the sudden can't hear me unless I switch to a headset or speakerphone, I think I'll drop this flagship phone and see if I can find something more reliable. Can't trust that I could even call 911 with the damn thing at this point.

So far I have had AT&T reinitialize my SIM, and I've just finished a factory reset. Problem persists.

There's no advanced calling feature to enable/disable...nothing I can find in settings.

I'll take it into a store and see if there is anything they can do for me, but I'm not hopeful.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried a different headset? I have had this issue before but since the latest update, so far , I have not had this happen. I'm on Verizon by the way.

CarpeMortem

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried a different headset? I have had this issue before but since the latest update, so far , I have not had this happen. I'm on Verizon by the way.
It's not an issue with headset or speakerphone. Just when I am holding the phone like a phone, to my ear, and talking.

OrangeScuba

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
My concern is that it won't be fixed with a replacement phone. Not sure I want the factory refurb theyll probably send me :\

I had to return an LG G2 once for power plug issues. It took about a week and they sent me a brand new phone. This was with Verizon not AT&T but they should have a similar policy.

I have advanced calling on my G4 and have no issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why you'd want to keep a defective phone, over getting a refirbed phone.

I call it refurbish roulette. It's been my experience, as well as many other people, that it's a crap shoot when getting warranty exchange. For me, most of those refurbs have had problems as well, resulting on another exchange. About the only time you can get a new replacement device is if the manufacturer doesn't have any refurbs to hand out. So now when there's a problem with one of my phones, I have to decide if I want to live with a factory flaw or exchange it and take a chance that the replacement is just as bad, if not worse. I'm to the point now that I don't trust any factory refurb, even if they do claim it's "like new."

CarpeMortem

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I call it refurbish roulette. It's been my experience, as well as many other people, that it's a crap shoot when getting warranty exchange. For me, most of those refurbs have had problems as well, resulting on another exchange. About the only time you can get a new replacement device is if the manufacturer doesn't have any refurbs to hand out. So now when there's a problem with one of my phones, I have to decide if I want to live with a factory flaw or exchange it and take a chance that the replacement is just as bad, if not worse. I'm to the point now that I don't trust any factory refurb, even if they do claim it's "like new."
Thank you for very eloquently explaining my feelings on this matter. Saves me having to type it out

CarpeMortem

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
AT&T is shipping me a "like new" replacement, since there are no service centers closer than an hour drive. Hopefully this will solve my problems.

Of course, the phone shows as back ordered on their website... So who knows when I'll receive a replacement.

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Here's a possibility: I have a G4 and have had no problems. Then a friend with a G4 had the same problem you are describing. He was in the same room with me and he called my phone and I couldn't hear him. When I looked at him, I could see that the way he was holding his phone, his little finger was covering the microphone. When I pointed that out and to him he said that is how he always held his phones, with his little finger at the bottom to give it stability. When I told him to move his finger I could hear him perfectly. It may sound dumb, but Check your finger placement while holding the phone!

CarpeMortem

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Here's a possibility: I have a G4 and have had no problems. Then a friend with a G4 had the same problem you are describing. He was in the same room with me and he called my phone and I couldn't hear him. When I looked at him, I could see that the way he was holding his phone, his little finger was covering the microphone. When I pointed that out and to him he said that is how he always held his phones, with his little finger at the bottom to give it stability. When I told him to move his finger I could hear him perfectly. It may sound dumb, but Check your finger placement while holding the phone!
Interesting theory, but I tend to hold it in the sides... Though I will check what I'm doing next time I make/receive a call.

Unfortunately I think it's more than just that as I also cannot get solid signals to make calls all the time, and lose data and WiFi access.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My experience with refurbished phones have been positive through at&t. Hopefully the new handset works perfect!

CarpeMortem

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
So far, so good. Time will tell with calls and signal. Unfortunately since my original is from BB (blue back), my camera and buttons no longer match :/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan