Pixilated images when zooming in

goobs10

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Had the G4 for a few days and Ive taken a few pictures today with the camera. They seem fine as they are however when I zoom into the photo by pinching out, the image becomes very pixilated. Not what I would have expected from a camera that seems to be widely reviewed as being one of the best in a smartphone.

I took the images in automatic mode. Is there something I need to do in the settings or manual mode to lesson the pixilation on zoomed in images?

My understanding is that the higher the megapixels, the less pixilated the image will be when zoomed in. This has a 16mp camera which I would have thought should result in minimal pixilation on zoomed in images, however they seem just as pixilated as zoomed in images taken with 8mp camera's or even lower than that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you zooming in using the stock Gallery app, or the Google Photos app? Sometimes the Photos app will have some temporary pixelation--I think because it's syncing with the cloud, and those cloud photos will be initially low-res until they're fully synced.

goobs10

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Are you zooming in using the stock Gallery app, or the Google Photos app? Sometimes the Photos app will have some temporary pixelation--I think because it's syncing with the cloud, and those cloud photos will be initially low-res until they're fully synced.

The gallery app.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this some as well on the gallery app. Not so much with the photos I've taken, but with other high res images I have. I'd see some jagged lines at full screen on both this and my M8. When zooming in on the M8, it would redraw the image and smooth out the lines properly. The G4's stock gallery app doesn't seem to do this, and zooming in would leave the lines jagged/pixelated.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Are you zooming in already before you take the picture? If so, that's just a digital zoom, and the image will look worse than normal, more pixelated.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can say for sure that's not my problem since I compared it to how the same image acted on another phone.

Last edited:

goobs10

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Are you zooming in already before you take the picture? If so, that's just a digital zoom, and the image will look worse than normal, more pixelated.

No, I took the picture normally, not zoomed in beforehand. Im talking about zooming into the picture after its been taken by pinching out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12