How to update OS?

Skooby_Snacks

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, just bought a new LG G4 phone through Verizon. Came with v5.1 and I hear there is a new update 5.1.1? I'm sort of new to the android OS world and I have some basic questions.

1. I've already checked for software updates through the phone and it says there are no available updates. Does this mean that Verizon has not made 5.1.1 available to the public?

I'm aware that Google makes Android OS. However, some of the threads I've read here leads me to believe that the release of the update is (more or less) controlled by the carrier - in my case Verizon. Have i misunderstood this? Just how do the updates work exactly?

2. I'm not sure what the differences are between the 2 (5.1 vs 5.1.1) but if the updates are significant, I'd like to get it. Does anyone know what the differences are?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
For most people, they won't likely notice many changes with incremental updates. Verizon did release an update, but I've read it was pulled after some bugs popped up. If you bought the phone after that, you won't get the (botched) update. Not sure when the next update will come, but I don't get worked up about it either.

Here's how I understand the update process. Google updates the OS. I think the Nexus (Google's own phone line) devices get those first because they run pure Android. The manufactures also get the OS and then make their own tweaks for their specific hardware and whatever goodies they throw in. If they sell the device unlocked, the updates can be rolled out directly from them.

For devices sold and branded for specific carriers, the carriers take the manufacturer modified OS and apply their own stuff (carrier specific functions, bloat, etc) before sending it out to their devices. Some carriers are quicker than others depending on modifications, testing, and budget. For example, Verizon is known to be pretty slow. It seems for their testing, if one part fails, they stop and send it back for a fix. They don't finish all the tests and send it back for all the fixes at once.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Current Android version on the Verizon G4 is 5.1, NOT 5.1.1. Last OTA came out Oct 9, 10th but was apparently stopped due to issues with notifications not working. I got the update and the subsequent problem with notifications. My current software version is VS98612A. From what I have read, the speculation is that we will get 6.0 in the coming months.

David

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
With 6.0 in the somewhat immediate pipeline for the carriers, I would guess 5.1.1 will be skipped. It would just be minor bug fixes anyway.

Skooby_Snacks

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the responses. What is OTA by the way?

nevermind i found out it stands for over the air. Have no idea what that is.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
An OTA update is what's sent out by the carrier and would give you a notice. The check you do from the system updates section of the settings would do the same thing manually. This would be the "official" way to update.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the responses. What is OTA by the way?

nevermind i found out it stands for over the air. Have no idea what that is.

OTA - Over the Air. When an update is ready for your phone, the operating system will use either WiFi or data to update. I highly suggest when it comes time to update your phone you use WiFi. Otherwise you'll kill half a gig or more. You can set your phone to automatically alert you of an update and you'll be given a choice to proceed or not. I manually check in the "About Phone" setting.

Lastly, if you feel adventurous, you can root (jailbreak) your phone and manually update the OS version. Keep in mind there comes a risk of bricking (killing the software rendering the phone useless in most cases) and downloading an impure and buggy ROM.

That sums up the beauty of Android. It's an OS made for the user to mitigate.

Posted via the Android Central App