LG G4 H815 Android Marshmallow update rollout and initial impressions

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So, LG has begun rolling out an OTA for the LG G4 H815 to many European regions. I don't live in Europe, but my G4 happens to be a European unit. Even though LG didn't push an OTA to my phone yet, I got the update using LG Bridge on my PC. I've been using it for some time and here are the changes and impressions.

Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-08-53.jpg Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-08-56.jpg

CHANGES AND TWEAKS
  • Google Now on Tap is available by long-pressing the home button. On the homescreen, the same action brings up Google Now. The swipe-up shortcut has been removed.
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-44-37.jpg
  • The recent apps screen now uses your wallpaper as a background. Previously, it has a greyish background.
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-45-25.jpg
  • Google settings have been added to the Settings app
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-45-59.jpg
  • Improved app permissions are added as part of Android 6.0
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-46-25.jpg
  • Doze has been added and can be customized to exclude certain apps
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-46-45.jpg Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-47-05.jpg
  • A new memory section is added along with an improved storage screen
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-47-13.jpg Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-47-28.jpg
  • Silent mode has been added
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-48-31.jpg
  • Notifications can now be tweaked to show up at the top of the screen or not. Also, the battery saver is now a lighter shade of orange.
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-10-55-21.jpg

More will be added soon. ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-30-14-27-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-14-27-47.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 1,457
  • Screenshot_2015-11-30-14-29-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-14-29-40.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 1,577
  • Screenshot_2015-11-30-19-13-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-19-13-39.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,494
Last edited:

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for this roundup. I've had 6.0 for a couple of days now and I'm rather pleased with it. No problems whatsoever during the upgrade, the only thing that took me by surprise was that I had to re-encrypt internal storage after the upgrade. Swiping and OS animations feel a little smoother still in Marshmallow compared to Lollipop, and battery life also seems to have improved quite a bit, but I want to test it some more and allow doze to do its thing before commenting on it. The other big wins for Marshmallow are app permissions and direct share, and I also like the notification peeking feature LG introduced.. that is *so* much better than rolling down a huge notification shade. Knock code has been hardened, which is a good thing for those who use it (and quite a few people seem to be using knock code).

LG has put together a page for the G4 with details of the new features in 6.0 that is being shown at first run. The change log provided by LG:

H81520A (11.26.2015)

• Android OS upgrade
  • Usability improvements through Google patch.
  • The screen for apps settings has been simplified and offers various app management features.
  • The knock code settings have been changed: the knock code must be at least 6 taps and use at least 3 different quarters.
  • The brightness slider can now be seen adjusting automatically depending on the ambient light when you use auto-brightness.
  • The battery will now be optimized automatically when the phone or apps are not in use for a certain period of time. Alarms may not sound and notifications from apps that are not updated to the latest OS version may not be received udring battery optimization.
  • To ensure that notifications are received from certain apps go to Settings > Battery & Power Saving > Battery Usage > Ignore Optimizations.
  • Swiping left or right to delete in messaging and email can now be undone by swiping in the opposite direction.
  • Silent mode has been added to the sound profile.
  • Qmemo+ has been renamed to Capture+.
  • Notifications can now be seen in Settings > Memory.
  • LG Bridge has been renamed to LG Airdrive.
  • Interruptions has been renamed to Do not disturb.
  • Google apps and services can now be managed in Settings > Google.
  • Direct share is available. You can receive recommendations for which app and contact to share a link with. For LG apps messaging and email are available as communication apps.
  • Apps will now ask for permissions after they are installed to better protect your information on the phone. Apps with no permissions may be limited in use or have issues. You can check or change these settings later in Settings > Apps > Permissions.

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
More stuff, like I promised! :)
  • When charging the phone using a charger that supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0, the phone now says "Fast-charging". Previously, it only said "charging", regardless of charger.
    View attachment 207747 View attachment 207748
  • App-links have been added as part of Marshmallow. This means that when a specific link is tapped, the app will open instead of a dialog box asking the user what app they want to use.
    View attachment 207749
  • Chrome Custom Tabs are added in supported apps like Feedly.
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-19-20-06.jpg
  • New animations throughout the system UI

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Since you have a QC2.0 charger, do you know if it'll fast charge ok with the screen on? Originally it only did do with the screen off. In my case, it would barely charge with screen on using a QC2.0 charger and I'm better off using a standard port.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Since you have a QC2.0 charger, do you know if it'll fast charge ok with the screen on? Originally it only did do with the screen off. In my case, it would barely charge with screen on using a QC2.0 charger and I'm better off using a standard port.

I only charge my phone with the screen off, but if you're lenient on usage, it should charge as well as a normal charger with the screen on.

Is LG Bridge a PC soft or mobile app??

It's on PC

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I wish I could show you guys the animations, but for some reason, my gifs ended up being JPEG files when they are uploaded.

I'll probably get around to making video footage.

Also, the phone seems to be snappier and stutters less than it did before. Haven't run into any serious bugs yet.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Marshmallow really adds some extra smoothness in terms of animations and general snappiness, my Nexus 7 2013 is running ridiculously well on 6.0 if you consider the hardware is several generations old, and the G4 is benefiting in the same way. Very nice.

I had no real issues with the upgrade, only two small things: LG Voice Mate wants to pull down an update for Voice Mate Engine but that fails to install, so Voice Mate doesn't update either. It's of no concern for me since I don't use Voice Mate anyway, but I'd like to hear if others had the same problem or not.

And one cosmetic issue with Nova on 6.0: the text underneath homescreen folders is sitting a little too close to the folder icon after the update. (I don't see that on the Nexus 7 though, also running Marshmallow.) Probably going to be fixed with a Nova update soon.

Btw, nice anime theme :)

jimborae

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
So I've been running the Polish V20A for awhile now and have recently updated to 20B (which maybe the same as international V20A), I can also confirm that the phone feels alot snappier, no lags whatsoever and the battery life is much improved. Overall a really good job by LG

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Marshmallow really adds some extra smoothness in terms of animations and general snappiness, my Nexus 7 2013 is running ridiculously well on 6.0 if you consider the hardware is several generations old, and the G4 is benefiting in the same way. Very nice.

I had no real issues with the upgrade, only two small things: LG Voice Mate wants to pull down an update for Voice Mate Engine but that fails to install, so Voice Mate doesn't update either. It's of no concern for me since I don't use Voice Mate anyway, but I'd like to hear if others had the same problem or not.

And one cosmetic issue with Nova on 6.0: the text underneath homescreen folders is sitting a little too close to the folder icon after the update. (I don't see that on the Nexus 7 though, also running Marshmallow.) Probably going to be fixed with a Nova update soon.

Btw, nice anime theme :)

Yep, the OS upgrade really made the phone feel snappier.

Also, thanks. I'm kind of an anime lover right now. xD

(If you wanna know what icon pack I'm using, it's mainly Rewun, but I also have Matericons)

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for this thread by the way. I didn't know if I should look forward to the update or not. From the sound of things, sounds like LG did a good job. Can't wait, but I'm in the US so I'll have to.

One quick question. Will I have to disable everything again?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this thread by the way. I didn't know if I should look forward to the update or not. From the sound of things, sounds like LG did a good job. Can't wait, but I'm in the US so I'll have to.

One quick question. Will I have to disable everything again?

Nope. You won't have to, though some apps may be re-enabled.