Replaced screen, and earpiece doesn't work. Earphones and speakerphone OK.
    12-02-2015 01:16 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! You replaced it yourself? Was it not under warranty? I'd recommend leaving repair like this to a qualified technician.
    heron88 likes this.
    12-02-2015 03:42 PM
    Actually, it was simple, if scary. Never even opened a phone before, but it was a "no warranty," unlocked phone, so I checked the "How tos" on you tube, and ordered an "LSHtech LCD Display Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly for LG G4 with Frame" from Amazon for $58. The "with frame" is the key - it obviates much delicate labor for $10 more, so a no brainer for me. The YouTubes didn't make it clear that there is a tiny rubber piece where the phone's proximity sensor is that must be transferred to the new frame, so i thought I had ruined the phone because, while it would boot, there were many problems without it, including not being able to make or receive calls. Screen itself is excellent, good resolution, color and brightness.

Opened it again and made the swap, and it seems to work perfectly except for the ear piece speaker. Phone jack and speakerphone ok. Some have replaced the part, but it still didn't work, so thought I would check in for ideas here.

JohnW
    12-02-2015 06:27 PM
    Sorry, I meant that it would be better to have a technician deal with the earpiece speaker. I agree that screen replacement can be relatively straightforward, depending on the device. But the speaker isn't quite as common a repair, and it's hard to say if it's just the speaker itself that's broken, or perhaps some of the wiring/circuitry leading to it.
    12-03-2015 10:52 AM
    You are right. There are many failure modes for the speaker other than speaker failure. I've ordered the replacement part and keeping my fingers crossed - it's only $5, so worth a try. I've tried all the software solutions I could find, and none work, so it's my last chance before handing it off to the pros.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-06-2015 02:54 PM
    Usually speakers (in general, I havnt opened my g4) are attached to the board by a ribbon or a small prong connection. check that it's fully connected. and test it before closing. if thats not the case, check the wires to see if they are exposed/cut/ripped, or perhaps the prongs are bent, rippon ripped etc etc. speakers usually aren't that bad in laptops, in phones they are just smaller. dont pull hard on anything, work slow.
    12-07-2015 11:48 AM