H811 certain apps are not installing

rick droid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
H811 certain apps are not installing

I have a T-mobile Branded G4, but when I try to download certain apps from outside of the play store, the apk will download, and when I try to hit install the install button freezes somehow and my only option is to cancel it or close the screen, I already have the unknown sources button checked so I'm not sure what to do, thanks.

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I assume you have the security settings updated, so the phone will install apps from outside the store (security/unknown sources)

Also, are you running the Lux app?

I've never had the issue you describe on the 811

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Lux is an app that can control the screen dimming. It seems to block the install button for some reason when installing non-store apps, and you need to disable the app, press install, then re-enable.

I've never run across the issue you have on my H811, other than what I just described. Any possibility Lookout or some antivirus is blocking the installs?

rick droid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Lux is an app that can control the screen dimming. It seems to block the install button for some reason when installing non-store apps, and you need to disable the app, press install, then re-enable.

I've never run across the issue you have on my H811, other than what I just described. Any possibility Lookout or some antivirus is blocking the installs?

Definitely not lookout, it was the first thing I disabled when I got this phone, I'm not sure what I did to be honest, but I was able to install the app I was trying to install, thank you.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Lux and various other apps (any app that uses floating circles such as 'chat heads', for example) use a screen overlay for their functionality. Android 5 and up has a security feature that prevents you from installing apps while these overlays are active (so as to prevent malicious apps from potentially installing apps on their own). While that security feature is active in 5, it's not explicitly surfaced to the user. In 6.0 Marshmallow, you will see a message saying

"Screen overlay detected.To change this permission setting, you first have to turn off the screen overlay from Settings > Apps".

In Marshmallow, there is a new option "Draw over other apps" in Settings > Apps where you can enable or disable individual apps from being able to 'draw over other apps', listing all apps that are using that functionality.

rick droid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Lux and various other apps (any app that uses floating circles such as 'chat heads', for example) use a screen overlay for their functionality. Android 5 and up has a security feature that prevents you from installing apps while these overlays are active (so as to prevent malicious apps from potentially installing apps on their own). While that security feature is active in 5, it's not explicitly surfaced to the user. In 6.0 Marshmallow, you will see a message saying

"Screen overlay detected.To change this permission setting, you first have to turn off the screen overlay from Settings > Apps".

In Marshmallow, there is a new option "Draw over other apps" in Settings > Apps where you can enable or disable individual apps from being able to 'draw over other apps', listing all apps that are using that functionality.

That's good and bad lol, is there a way to disable that part of it when needed?

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Thats a good and bad, is there a way to disable that?

Lux has a 'sleep' mode that allows you to temporarily disable it - works perfectly in case you need to install a new app or review app permisssions. Other apps allow you to temp disable or switch off the overlay as well. The security feature itself can't be disabled (unless you root your device), which is a good thing.

rick droid

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Lux has a 'sleep' mode that allows you to temporarily disable it - works perfectly in case you need to install a new app or review app permisssions. Other apps allow you to temp disable or switch off the overlay as well. The security feature itself can't be disabled (unless you root your device), which is a good thing.

I might root it then, I switched from my Nexus 6 because it was to buggy with 6.0 this one isn't so bad