1. Is the android M update out and how does it affect the g4
2. Should I buy this phone over the gs6
3. How much screen on time battery is normal on the g4
4. How good is the signal strength?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
1) Not out officially for the US. Only out for some countries in Europe and Indonesia IIRC. Haven't tried it so can't comment on how it affects it.
2) I tried this next to a Note, and couldn't love it. The S6 is very similar to the Note minus the S-Pen, but the screen on the G4 is bigger and from reports, it feels snappier than an S6 (not a Note 5, that thing is quick!). But the price is different and I just never got used to the back buttons on the G4. Phil, from AC, however, loved it apparently and would get it instead of an S6 (after loving that device,too).
Why I'd buy the LG G4 over the Galaxy S6 | Android Central
3) When I used it I could get around 5 hours, but that will depend on how you use it and which apps you run. The thing wouldn't die for days in Standby, but as soon as the screen came on, battery didn't compare to the Note 5.
4) For me that hasn't been a problem with my devices, maybe because I'm either in good coverage areas or inside bunkers (OK, test labs, same thing haha). But the G4 I tested had no issues with reception. I tried it both with T-Mobile and a Verizon SIM.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
1. Already answered

2. That's highly subjective since everyone is different. I'm obviously biased, but I don't like AMOLED screens, and the G4 has a removable battery and sd card support. That would make it a hands down G4 decision for me. If you list what you would and wouldn't like in a phone, that can help others advise you there.

3. Depends on usage. If I'm on Wi-Fi and not doing anything major, I can get 6-7 hours on a complete charge (though actual SOT is less because I charge at 30-40% Battery left). I can also knock it out in a couple hours with heavy gaming. Since the battery is removable, I'm not too concerned about it. I will say it's been on par, if not a little better compared to other phones I've used.

4. I'd rank reception quality right up there with Motorola. I've had next to no signal issues, and the few I've had were in places that knock out any phone.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
1. Is the android M update out and how does it affect the g4
2. Should I buy this phone over the gs6
3. How much screen on time battery is normal on the g4
4. How good is the signal strength?

1. It is rolling out in Europe currently so shouldn't be too long elsewhere.

2. Depends what you want. Personally for me the cameras are equally good, battery is equally bad (since M on the G4), and the UI's are equally bad (but a launcher can solve both to an extent). The removable battery and less bloat would steer me toward the G4, the build quality would steer me toward the GS6.

3. 5.5 hours was my typical screen on with Lollipop, 2.5 hours is now my screen on with Marshmallow.

4. Never had an issue and I've run it off 3 different networks (though I'm in Europe). Picks signal back up very quickly compared to some other phones I've used.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
#1 Ditto

#2 Again always highly subjective. There are half a million comparisons out there. I don't think you would notice a difference in cpu speeds, as for the screen, they are pretty different. AMOLED is awesome with its true blacks and brightness. Despite the grain, I loved my LG Flex's P-AMOLED display. On the flipside however the colors are vibrant and inaccurate. At the same time that true black and brightness are something to behold, it is equally impressive to know that your display has some of the most accurate color production you can buy as is the case with the G4. Also if you browse with the lights out like before or after you sleep, AMOLED does not have a very low brightness setting. I found %0 on my gflex still hurt my eyes, the G4 on the other hand can drop to a brightness so low that it is very hard to see under normal lights.

#3 since the most recent lollipop patch, battery life is amazing, as good as my LG G Flex now I have to run around with cellular turned off half the day because parts of my work are in dead zones and I found they would drain the battery, but with wifi/bluetooth (moto 360 watch) active all day Ive been putting it on the charger anywhere between %76 to %60 on a normal day when I go to bed. I have a Battery stick just incase but the only time I needed to use it was when I discovered I was in a dead zone mentioned above and by lunch my battery was %20.

#4 cell signal seems alright, I think my g flex did a little better (G4 on verizon can roam on sprint, what my flex was on. Flex never had an issue with staying on sprint and yet in some areas of my store the G4 can't maintain sprint either). Wifi also seems to have taken a step down as the wifi at work is a few bars shorter than what my g flex saw on average. This has no impact at home however, they both get good signal to the property line.

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
actually it does have something to do with the phone, how good the antenna is inside. My wife and I are both on Verizon. My G4 has much better signal strength than her iPhone 6. At home. She occasionally drops a call ... I never do.

Skooby_Snacks

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
actually it does have something to do with the phone, how good the antenna is inside. My wife and I are both on Verizon. My G4 has much better signal strength than her iPhone 6. At home. She occasionally drops a call ... I never do.

Sort of surprising to hear that. Smartphones have come such a long ways that I can't imagine one sold with a poor (or mediocre) antenna inside. Especially the latest & greatest from Apple! wowzers...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sort of surprising to hear that. Smartphones have come such a long ways that I can't imagine one sold with a poor (or mediocre) antenna inside. Especially the latest & greatest from Apple! wowzers...

All the brands seem to have something they excel in. Motorola for their radios/reception, HTC for sound, Apple for cross device compatibility, and Samsung for being Samsung.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I never finds any one manufacturer the best at anything. One phone can be awesome and the next one is a turd. Apple excels at one thing, you will be seeing OS updates for many years on the same device. Of all the android phones I owned, not one went through a major upgrade.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I never finds any one manufacturer the best at anything. One phone can be awesome and the next one is a turd. Apple excels at one thing, you will be seeing OS updates for many years on the same device. Of all the android phones I owned, not one went through a major upgrade.

You obviously haven't owned a Nexus :p (Neither have I; they're not my thing).

But from personal experience, my Tab S (1st gen) is still getting updates (quite a few already, actually) and it's over a year old. Most Sammy phones I've owned have gotten their respective upgrades to the latest and greatest from Google, even if a little late. True, I seldom have a phone for over a year and a half...but still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007