lg g4s manufactured before September have a defect

Chris Rosas

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It looks like many lg g4 manufactured before September ....fail.....they suddenly go blank and once turned on go into an infinite boot loop .....what do you guys know about it? ....mine was 6 months old....manufactured may

Posted via the Android Central App

bluerobin

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been in for repair once already and now awaiting a replacement. Bought it September 3rd. Manufactured in May. We bought 3 and mine is the only one that went south.

Last edited:

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Bought one in August....have had no issues yet. Did Lg make an official statement on this?

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I have an early model H815 as well, no problems. I am always leery of threads starting with pure speculation stated as 'fact'. There have been a number of people reporting that their phones got stuck in a boot loop, but claims that those issues a due to a hardware problem are pure speculation, as are claims that "any G4 manufactured before [insert random month of the year here] is affected". Look at any Nexus phone or tablet forum on xda and you'll see posts complaining about boot loops after every round of OTAs that Google makes available for their own devices. Many people with Nexus 7 (2013) tablets, for example, had this same problem with almost every version of Lollipop. This is a rather common problem on recent versions of Android and occurs on a wide range of devices and the commonailty seemed to be OTAs that went wrong somehow, not hardware. The more tech-savvy Nexus users tend to fix that problem by wiping their devices and flashing a full current factory image, and then proceed to root them again and add custom recovery images and what not. That process is not quite as straight-forward on non-Nexus devices, but various tools are available. In the case of the G4, you can initiate a factory reset from inside and outside the OS, use LG Bridge to flash the current system image, or use LGUP to wipe and flash the current ROM onto the device.

Last edited:

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm what you'd call an early adopter of the G4. I got one from the first batch that arrived at my local T-Mobile store - and no problems.
The title of this thread is misleading.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought my G4 the first day Sprint had it available, manufacturing date of May. It ran flawlessly for me until I traded it in 11 days ago when I switched to T-Mobile.

Mike Branch

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I pre ordered mine at Best Buy Verizon. I just had mine replaced. I was in middle of navigation, and just rebooted several times and screen went black. You can get to the bootloader, only after battery pull, but just reboots and goes black... Love the phone though. Hope this is better.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
My first G4 bit the dust recently. Purchased the day it came out in June on T-Mobile. They swapped it out in a couple of days via UPS. Other than not having my phone for a couple of days it was relatively painless.

I thought I read it was G4's manufactured before August that were prone to this problem. Could be wrong.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Uh Oh! Looks like I'll be joining this list. G4 purchased in July, serial number begins with 505 and I'm on Verizon.

Phone has been working flawlessly until this morning when it dropped a call, now won't connect to the network and is getting very hot. Shut down once but was able to restart it. No boot loop... yet. Also can't get location to work.

Going to do a hard reset and see what happens.

David

Edit: This is even more strange.. and I wonder if its a network issue rather than a phone issue. I can make and receive calls now. Can not access google Play store , google + and photos. AND my date and time is Sat June 20th 6:15pm!

EDIT #2: So in my case the above mentioned in my post may be a network error. After setting the correct date and time and turning off network sync for date and time, everything is working properly again.
Interesting thing is my battery dropped from 100% down to 60% in just two hours. I'll update this post more if it turns out to be a hardware issue.

Last edited:

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Good luck man. Once mine went into the boot loop, there was no saving it. Tried the hard reset and it tried to take a couple of times. It got to the sign in process and rebooted.

Last edited:

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Do we know if this is the motherboard or what? I still have mine and I would love to see if I can buy parts to replace it. The G4's construction is one of the easiest phones to open and close.. I voided my warranty. I've talked with LG and might consider sending it back after the holidays though.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Do we know if this is the motherboard or what? I still have mine and I would love to see if I can buy parts to replace it. The G4's construction is one of the easiest phones to open and close.. I voided my warranty. I've talked with LG and might consider sending it back after the holidays though.

The best explanation I've read is it's a "hardware issue". I didn't do too much digging around online. Maybe someone else would know better.

Skooby_Snacks

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm what you'd call an early adopter of the G4. I got one from the first batch that arrived at my local T-Mobile store - and no problems.
The title of this thread is misleading.

Very misleading. And it raises false alarms for many users of the G4 to think that their phone is affected by this so called defect. Talk about a knee jerk reaction.