New Phone - Heating Up?

Aiphira

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi! So, I bought a new phone two days ago (2015-12-27), and since yesterday (2015-12-28) my phone was heating up. I don't have a lot of apps that need a lot of load, nor do I play games/have any games on it. I mainly have Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, my bank's app, PayPal, Yahoo and Google Chrome. So, I was chatting with my friend via Messenger and going through Instagram, when I noticed that my phone was a little warm (the top of the back). I thought that it's normal for these kind of phones to get warm, you know? Then, I went home and after some time of going through the net and listening to music, it started getting warm again. This time, a lot warmer. But there still wasn't any messages that I saw people get that it's heating up. I didn't pay it any mind, but it started getting warmer, and the top of the screen started getting warm itself. Then, I let it cool (didn't do anything just locked it) and downloaded AnTuTu. Ran it a few times, turns out, the top of the battery (from the middle up) is getting warmer and warmer, as well as top of the phone (where the buttons/camera are (didn't use the camera yet)) and the top of the screen. Did a factory/hard reset - immediately after the reset, it was warm. Did some simple surfing the web (only downloaded Google Chrome), and it went warm again. What is the problem? Is it the phone itself? Can it be fixed? Or can it possible be the battery, do I need to buy a new one?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does the battery drain quickly as well? A defective battery can overheat easily. Poor cell signal is another common cause of overheating (since the phone is struggling to find the signal).

Aiphira

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi! Thanks for the welcome, didn't have the time for the "Introduce" section yet, want to get this sorted out first. No, the signal is always perfect. Internet, too. Full-on 4G, as well. Didn't have these kind of problems with my previous phone (although it was Galaxy S2 Plus..). The battery - yes, since it's hot, it drains quickly. Just today, I didn't really do much since I was at home, just Messenger sometimes, did a hard-reset and looking at the specs/checking what could be wrong, and it already dropped ~50%.

Thank you for your time and reply,
Aiphira

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
The best thing you can do to get help in diagnosing is to post screen shots of battery usage so we can see if there are any apps running rogue.

Aiphira

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Oh, here. Sorry for the language. ^^ But I doubt it will do much now, since I´ve been mostly at home today and haven´t used the phone very often.

Attachments

• 1451407735371.jpg
    1451407735371.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 1451407743968.jpg
    1451407743968.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 24
  • 1451407752228.jpg
    1451407752228.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 24

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't look like you have any rogue apps or they would present themselves during idle time as well. It's common for the phone to get warm around the camera because most of the internals are at the top of the phone.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering why an email app (Yahoo Mail) would be taking so much juice? None of my email programs have ever been above 2-3%.

Aiphira

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Do not know .. Maybe because it's Yahoo? I mean, it has a lot of features in it (that don't need it, actually) and I have two e-mails hookes to it (synced or w/e they call it) ? Don't know, honestly .. ^^

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
If Yahoo mail stayed that high across a full charge, then yeah if be concerned. However, your up time is over 7 hours with 91% battery remaining. Even at 26% battery usage for Yahoo, that's still only 26% of 9% total used so a little over 2% of actually battery use.

If Yahoo remains that high over a full charge then maybe there is something going on but at the current time I wouldn't worry about it to much.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to tourbound129 for following up on this issue. It would help to see battery stats after you've used the phone for a while, so we get a better idea of what's using it. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Sadly I'm on my second g4 and both heat up and drain the battery quickly. The biggest offender that I have found is chrome. Yes a browser will heat my phone up and cause it to loose 1% per minute. I've had the second one for a day without using Google now or any Facebook services and the battery life is much better. Sad but with the way this phone runs through battery I won't be keeping it for long.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rex138

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I just got my new LG G4 on the 29th as well and was having the same issue or perhaps worse as the top of my phone would get warm than hot even when I wasn't using it at all. After a week of researching, reading and trying different solutions online, I FINALLY found one last night that appears to have solved this problem completely!

I downloaded an app called "Cooler Master - Phone Cooler" which will tell you the temperature of your processor, show the current CPU usage and RAM usaage. Then you can see what apps are currently running during this overheated time and shut them down if you wish.

Well after several times of doing this, I noticed a couple apps that were consistently coming up that I though odd. My Directv app and a file manager app called "ES File Explorer". As I hardly use the file manager app, I uninstalled it and restarted my phone. Since then my phone no longer overheats while doing nothing and last night was the first night that my phone charge lasted the whole night. I topped off the charge last night and went to bed with a 98% charge. Woke up this morning to a cool phone and a 97% charge!

Note, there will be a few apps that will always be running like I use textera for my texting but chances of apps like that being the culprit are pretty slim. Look for bigger apps. Hopefully you'll find one that you don't use that often that by uninstalling, will keep the processor from running constantly and heating up your phone.

I now love my phone again!
Good luck! :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I just got my new LG G4 on the 29th as well and was having the same issue or perhaps worse as the top of my phone would get warm than hot even when I wasn't using it at all. After a week of researching, reading and trying different solutions online, I FINALLY found one last night that appears to have solved this problem completely!

I downloaded an app called "Cooler Master - Phone Cooler" which will tell you the temperature of your processor, show the current CPU usage and RAM usaage. Then you can see what apps are currently running during this overheated time and shut them down if you wish.

Well after several times of doing this, I noticed a couple apps that were consistently coming up that I though odd. My Directv app and a file manager app called "ES File Explorer". As I hardly use the file manager app, I uninstalled it and restarted my phone. Since then my phone no longer overheats while doing nothing and last night was the first night that my phone charge lasted the whole night. I topped off the charge last night and went to bed with a 98% charge. Woke up this morning to a cool phone and a 97% charge!

Note, there will be a few apps that will always be running like I use textera for my texting but chances of apps like that being the culprit are pretty slim. Look for bigger apps. Hopefully you'll find one that you don't use that often that by uninstalling, will keep the processor from running constantly and heating up your phone.

I now love my phone again!
Good luck! :)

Interesting post. I'm going to check out that app and see what it tells me because I also has ES File Explorer (but not the most current one). I know the developers have been adding some bloat to it that's making abandon it, so maybe it now has extra processes going in the background that are doing this.