Why does my call signal strength vary so much?

A

AC Question

why does my call signal strength vary so much?

My Lg G4 cannot keep calls in my apartment. I can be perfectly fine on a call, tilt my head or take ONE step and I suddenly start hearing "Hello?? Are you there? I can't hear you!" I'm told that it either sounds like I'm underwater/in a hole or they can't hear me at all. I check my bars and they claim to be fine. I'm not accidentally on mute.
I purchased a Wilson cell phone booster in December and it did nothing to boost the signal, so I returned it.
My apartment building is one of those concrete block construction, so I know that can inhibit signal, but within inches(?!?) doesn't make much sense.
My boyfriend has a Droid Turbo and has never had these problems. My old Samsung S3 didn't have these issues either.
I'm not finding much on this topic on the interwebs... Do I have a lemon? Is there something I can do to improve the call strength? Do I have to buy a cordless phone for a landline to use at home??

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: why does my call signal strength vary so much?

It sounds like it may be your device. Contact LG customer support for advice.

Posted via the Android Central App

cybersud

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Any suggestions on what to do? I find this in multiple areas of my neighborhood and house. I called Verizon but they had no help. Also, when I turn off advanced calling, no issues.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: why does my call signal strength vary so much?

Advanced calling uses the 4G network to transfer calls using mobile data, similar to how a Skype call is made. 4G doesn't penetrate into buildings as well as 3G and lower, which is why turning advanced calling off improves your call reception.