The kinda-official LG G4 bootloop thread

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
They should to be honest. They were calm when I called the customer service and assumed it's software problem and I have to pay 30$. Seems like they already know this coming. Thank you for the tip!

You shouldn't have to pay $30. This is a hardware issue and the store should repair or replace it under warranty.

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

Hadie182

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
You shouldn't have to pay $30. This is a hardware issue and the store should repair or replace it under warranty.

Provide the shop with this article which has a confirmation from LG of known hardware problems on the G4.

I won't. I'll try to reason everything they're going to dismiss me with. I'll shove that article to them faces. Thanks!

But one more thing, what if they ask me the credibility of the website?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I won't. I'll try to reason everything they're going to dismiss me with. I'll shove that article to them faces. Thanks!

Do a Google search for the issue. There are multiple websites reporting the same thing. Shove those in their faces.

In my case, I didn't need to do anything. They knew almost immediately what happened and didn't even hesitate to fix it.

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

It's not the website they should ever question the credibility of. The response from LG is included in that article. If they really have an issue, and I doubt they will, they can reach out to LG themselves if they'd like. :)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
An update that I think you guys will love to hear.

I couldn't wait for my original G4's repairs to complete. So I went to the store to see if I could ask for a replacement, and if I could, possibly switch phones to an LG V10 or XPERIA Z5.

They said I could, but if I wanted to switch to the V10 or Z5, I would have to pay part of the phone's price as my G4's current value will be deducted from the price of the new phone (50% of its original value). Yeah, no. Not gonna do that, so I decided to go with another G4.

This one has the brown leather back, is an unlocked H815 unit, runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box (THANKFULLY), S/N starts with 512 and, well, it's a G4.

Ran LG Backup on it, waited for about 30 minutes to get it to restore my backup I made on my SD card and after a quick reboot, the new G4 is working almost exactly like my old one, minus the bootloop.

So, I'm back with a G4! And she actually runs better than my last one.

View attachment 215559

(If anyone asks about the Z5, I just wanted to give a Sony device a shot, though really, I'm still iffy about Sony's lackluster camera efforts on their phones)

What store did you go to that had an unlocked H815 unit??

Randumbed

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
So I had the bootloop issue on a SN that started with 505. I bought it on release day from T-mobile. I went to T-mobile after having the bootloop issue and they agreed to provide me with a replacement free of charge given that LG has confirmed the issue. However, the new phone I received is SN that starts with 506... Should I be concerned? Should I demand a SN that starts with 509 or later? Everything I am seeing says that anything before 509 can have an issue.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So I had the bootloop issue on a SN that started with 505. I bought it on release day from T-mobile. I went to T-mobile after having the bootloop issue and they agreed to provide me with a replacement free of charge given that LG has confirmed the issue. However, the new phone I received is SN that starts with 506... Should I be concerned? Should I demand a SN that starts with 509 or later? Everything I am seeing says that anything before 509 can have an issue.

Something tells me you got a refurbished unit.

See if you can get one made more recently.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
If I was you, if they gave you the new phone in the store, I would check first the SN and demand a more recent phone starting with SN 509 or later. I will not take any G4 that is below that SN.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
We actually went to Sprint today to have my daughter's phone replaced. It's also a 505

Because of the known issue Sprint is sending us a new phone, not a referb.

Posted via the Android Central App

I haven't had the problem, but asked Verizon what would happen if it did, and of course, being Verizon, they said they would send out a refurb, not a new phone. How does the boot loop problem being a "known issue" affect the usual policy of most carriers to replace a broken phone with a refurb?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had the problem, but asked Verizon what would happen if it did, and of course, being Verizon, they said they would send out a refurb, not a new phone. How does the boot loop problem being a "known issue" affect the usual policy of most carriers to replace a broken phone with a refurb?

On Verizon, not at all. You'll get the "like new" refurb. The upside is that you'll get it in 2 days, and not have to wait weeks for LG's repair partner to fix it (or not).

Posted via the Android Central App

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
My replacement "Like New" G4 from Verizon looked brand new to me and had a serial number that began with 512. I know others have said they've received replacements with serial numbers in the 506-508 range and that would bother me if I had received one of those. Personally I would wait until the device payment amount you owe is down to a reasonable price and then try to sell the refurb on eBay. If you only owe around $150 and you can get that by selling the device I'd do that in a heartbeat to get a new phone earlier than waiting until the end of your 24 months on your device payment plan. Especially if you did not pay for the additional insurance coverage through your carrier.

Owenthomas1991

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I've recently heard about this "bootloop" issue.
Well I've got the international (uk) h815 model and my serial number is 507. Ive had the phone for more than a month without any issues. I shouldn't have any issues in the future...right?

Also has anyone from the UK experienced these issues?

I'm afraid I've experienced this issue and I'm from the UK with a 507 serial number. LG will repair my phone for free under it's warranty.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad I found this thread. I was looking to buy a G4 off of swappa and now I'm leaning against it. Thinking of either the Moto X Pure or V10. I'm bummed because I was really looking forward to using the G4 camera. The V10 seems too big for me so I will probably just settle for the Pure or just keep my 6plus.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list, but here's my twist:

Mine is a 509 serial number, purchased late October. I haven't gone through the entire thread, but this is the first one heard of one going into boot loop outside of the 505-508 range. Looks like I'm making a call to Verizon tonight.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Add me to the list, but here's my twist:

Mine is a 509 serial number, purchased late October. I haven't gone through the entire thread, but this is the first one heard of one going into boot loop outside of the 505-508 range. Looks like I'm making a call to Verizon tonight.

Scary stuff. I have my refurb 505, that replaced the bricked 505, and it is acting funny lags, gets hot, and sometimes screen not responsive. I could exchange again with Tmobile but I am going to try to hold out a month or two and decide between LG G5 and S7.