The kinda-official LG G4 bootloop thread

TdotsFinest39

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Felt compelled to register on the site to offer my own two cents. Got the G4 back in August, through Telus here in Canada. Like many others, everything was better than fine. It was great actually.

One night just before Christmas while reading some stuff on Chrome, the thing just shut off and wouldn't turn back on. Didn't even get the bootloop, just wouldn't turn back on. Gave it back to Telus, who a little over a week later just gave me a brand new G4. In that time I had already upgraded to the Nexus 6P.

It's a shame really. I like the 6P alot but I miss my G4. It was the best phone I ever had, overall. I even quite liked the UI and the options it afforded me. If the V10 was available up here I probably would have traded in my 6P for it but its not.

J240

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to the V10 and I honestly am thinking of returning it already. Two front cameras are completely unnecessary when they are horrible quality. The G4 had one of the best FFC's on any phone, so beware that anything else (esp the V10) will likely be a step backwards. As a person who takes many lower light shots, especially with the front camera (group shots, selfies), this is a major deal breaker for me. The V10 is nice but the extra camera and extra screen just aren't enough if the cameras aren't usable in ANY kind of low light.
It is worth noting that the G4 'replacement' they sent me appeared to be a brand new device. The guy at Tmobile said he believed it was brand new also. So hopefully if I give back the V10, they will still give me a new G4 so I can ride that out until the G5 arrives.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
SD cards are more suited for media files. Running apps off it could present some performance issues since SD cards usually have lower I/O performance compared to internal storage.

THANK YOU!! This should be common knowledge by now but unfortunately its not.

Internal Memory = Apps and app data ONLY!
External Memory = Media files such as Music, Videos, Hi-Res pictures, other files (tax returns, comics (cbr/cbz files), PDF's, etc..)

Last edited:

Jacob_1982

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Got the LG boot loop screen of death the day before yesterday (505 s/n). This is definitely not an isolated event occurring with a small number of phones. If you have one of the effected lines of serial numbers and it hasn't happened yet, be prepared. Glad I still have my trusty m7 to hold me off. Not a fan of LG's QC at this point.

J240

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Got the LG boot loop screen of death the day before yesterday (505 s/n). This is definitely not an isolated event occurring with a small number of phones. If you have one of the effected lines of serial numbers and it hasn't happened yet, be prepared. Glad I still have my trusty m7 to hold me off. Not a fan of LG's QC at this point.

Sorry to hear you were affected as well. :( It's like a virus and seems to be going around slowly but surely!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
An update that I think you guys will love to hear.

I couldn't wait for my original G4's repairs to complete. So I went to the store to see if I could ask for a replacement, and if I could, possibly switch phones to an LG V10 or XPERIA Z5.

They said I could, but if I wanted to switch to the V10 or Z5, I would have to pay part of the phone's price as my G4's current value will be deducted from the price of the new phone (50% of its original value). Yeah, no. Not gonna do that, so I decided to go with another G4.

This one has the brown leather back, is an unlocked H815 unit, runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box (THANKFULLY), S/N starts with 512 and, well, it's a G4.

Ran LG Backup on it, waited for about 30 minutes to get it to restore my backup I made on my SD card and after a quick reboot, the new G4 is working almost exactly like my old one, minus the bootloop.

So, I'm back with a G4! And she actually runs better than my last one.

11140067_1148504328493112_549355877234236091_n.jpg

(If anyone asks about the Z5, I just wanted to give a Sony device a shot, though really, I'm still iffy about Sony's lackluster camera efforts on their phones)

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
An update that I think you guys will love to hear.

I couldn't wait for my original G4's repairs to complete. So I went to the store to see if I could ask for a replacement, and if I could, possibly switch phones to an LG V10 or XPERIA Z5.

They said I could, but if I wanted to switch to the V10 or Z5, I would have to pay part of the phone's price as my G4's current value will be deducted from the price of the new phone (50% of its original value). Yeah, no. Not gonna do that, so I decided to go with another G4.

This one has the brown leather back, is an unlocked H815 unit, runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box (THANKFULLY), S/N starts with 512 and, well, it's a G4.

Ran LG Backup on it, waited for about 30 minutes to get it to restore my backup I made on my SD card and after a quick reboot, the new G4 is working almost exactly like my old one, minus the bootloop.

So, I'm back with a G4! And she actually runs better than my last one.

View attachment 215559

(If anyone asks about the Z5, I just wanted to give a Sony device a shot, though really, I'm still iffy about Sony's lackluster camera efforts on their phones)
You got the newest G4 that come with marshmallow out of the box. Nice!!!!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
He have the international version, I am wondering if in the US we could get it as well with marshmallow out of the box.

When Marshmallow starts rolling out to all US-carrier versions, I guess.

T-Mobile has just begun rolling it out. Sprint has done so last month.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
When Marshmallow starts rolling out to all US-carrier versions, I guess.

T-Mobile has just begun rolling it out. Sprint has done so last month.
What I am mean is that if I could purchase a G4 US version with marshmallow out of the box or only the European version have this privilege?

Hadie182

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
LG G4.jpg

First time posting. Mine is LG G4 H815 SN 505 bought it in December 3rd, started turning off and restarting on its own with some line glitches and freezing on January, 1st. Then it started to bootloop on January 25th. Hardware failure or software glitch? Please help.. The shop where I bought it only covers hardware not software.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 215560

First time posting. Mine is LG G4 H815 SN 505 bought it in December 3rd, started turning off and restarting on its own with some line glitches and freezing on January, 1st. Then it started to bootloop on January 25th. Hardware failure or software glitch? Please help.. The shop where I bought it only covers hardware not software.

Most likely hardware. It's common with the G4. You should be good to take it back.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 215560

It qualifies as a motherboard failure that LG described. Take it back to the store. They shouldn't hesitate to repair or replace it.

Hadie182

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
It qualifies as a motherboard failure that LG described. Take it back to the store. They shouldn't hesitate to repair or replace it.

They should to be honest. They were calm when I called the customer service and assumed it's software problem and I have to pay 30$. Seems like they already know this coming. Thank you for the tip!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar